Trucks!

Talk about whatever you feel like.
ampersand
Crazy Person

Re: Trucks!

Post by ampersand » Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:28 am

And here I am having used WD-40 for the wrong thing altogether.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Trucks!

Post by Deacon » Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:25 am

For household use it's probably fine :) There are many better things to use for most applications, though. I swear by Kano products.
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

raptor9k
Crazy Person

Post by raptor9k » Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:44 pm

Oddly enough Wd40 is mentioned by name in the product manual. The main mechanism is lubricated with grease. You only have to do it about once a year though.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Trucks!

Post by Deacon » Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:24 pm

Heh, they probably figure it'll be good enough and most people know what it is and have some around the house...
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

raptor9k
Crazy Person

Post by raptor9k » Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:34 pm

So, I no longer have the F250. It started making odd noises at idle last week, which turned out to be the primary water pump failing at 88k miles. They kept it 4 days with no loaner (this is why I hate dealing with the local ford stealership). My factory warranty was up in June but I still had an extended warranty on the truck that took care of the $1k parts and labor for the water pump. This got me thinking though, about this truck potentially costing me a lot of money in the near future. My extended warranty requires proof that all maintenance was done which I don't have (I did it myself and didn't know to keep receipts on oil/filters/etc. until a year or so ago). They paid for it this time but if the truck had cracked a head I most likely would've been out $6k+ in repair costs. I know of 3 local trucks with 6.7s that have had this happen and every time it was shortly after lapse of the factory warranty. Then my brother calls me up and tells me the local GM dealer has some pretty good deals going. I looked online and he got them to pull the truck I liked and let me drive it a few days. Friday I picked the F250 up at the Ford Dealer and drove it straight to the GM dealer to trade it.

$32k on trade with a cracked windshield and a huge scratch down one side of the bed + $8k off on the new one (2015) + free B&W turnover ball installed seemed like a decent enough deal. I'll easily pay it off by June of next year if I don't want to deal with the $260/mo payment.

New truck is a White 2015 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLT Z71 with the 6.0L gas V8 (360hp/380ft-lbs) and 4.10 rearend. They ordered it with the Tow mirrors and sprayed in bedliner. I weighed the pros and cons on gas vs diesel and decided I don't really need it right now enough to justify the extra $8k. I'm towing 12k max right now on flat(ish) ground and the next trailer will likely be 14k max. The next truck will probably be a Denali diesel but for now I've got all I need. I get an awesome dealership as part of the deal as weel. My loaner while they install my hitch is a 2015 Denali Diesel (go heated steering wheel). I'll miss my keypad but the onStar app is pretty awesome. The only thing I lose on the new truck is vented seats, new ones are just heated, and the sun roof. The interior on the new one is much nicer, much quieter (even discounting engine noise differences), and the ride is a little smoother.

I'll post an update after I pull the trailer with it but so far I'm enjoying it immensely.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:30 pm

Very cool. Sounds like you got a helluva deal. I've got the Ford 100k/6-year warranty, so I should be good for another couple of years. I may consider trading it in around that time. But it will be paid off by then, so in reality I will very likely keep it and run it for years. It's got everything I want, does everything I could ever want it to do, and has been a fantastic truck. Everything mechanical is stock other than tires, which I went with 295-70/18 Toyo AT2's, which are awesome. Well, that and the 50-gal Titan replacement fuel tank, airbags, and so forth. I'm even running the factory shocks still, and brakes show no sign of needing to be changed any time soon. However, I have gotten a set of Rancho 9000XL's, and those will be installed before too long. I like the idea of stiffening it up, especially with the extra weight of the Ranch Hand Legend full replacements front and rear.

PS Pics or it didn't happen.

raptor9k
Crazy Person

Post by raptor9k » Tue Dec 01, 2015 2:30 am

I'll take some pics tomorrow. They installed the b&w today and detailed it for me. It's been raining here nonstop since Thursday. My Ford was bone stock except for the rancho 9000xl shocks. Loved the ride even with all 4 shocks up on 9. My factory warranty was only 5 years/100k miles on the power train so you might want to double check that.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:00 pm

I paid extra for the bumper-to-bumper 6-year/100k FSP.

Arres
Crazy Person

Post by Arres » Wed Dec 02, 2015 6:57 am

I also no longer own the F-150 (as of this past weekend)! It started having computer problems and just all kinds of other bullshit. We traded it in for a Kia Optima. No longer will we be chained to 15mpg!
Sheldon wrote:For the record, I am waaaay an adult. Like, super-way.
The Ponynati said:You cannot escape us. You cannot stop us. Soon all the world will bow down to the power of ponies.
The Cid wrote:...the text message is the preferred method of communication for prepubescent girls. Bunch of grown men sending digital paper airplanes to each other. Give me a break.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Wed Dec 02, 2015 3:10 pm

I <3 working from home. The freedom and lower stress levels are awesome, but the dramatic drop in vehicle utilization means less wear and tear and less fuel. Mileage matters a lot less now :)

raptor9k
Crazy Person

Post by raptor9k » Mon Dec 07, 2015 4:12 pm

Finally snapped a few pics while I was breaking down the trailer at camp this weekend. The B&W Hitch setup is ridiculously awesome.

Images Removed
Last edited by raptor9k on Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Mon Dec 07, 2015 4:24 pm

That B&W setup looks as pretty as it is functional. How's the gas engine? I imagine you'd notice having only half the torque, but maybe if it's fairly flat and you're not dealing with on-ramps all the time, it might not be that big a deal.

raptor9k
Crazy Person

Post by raptor9k » Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:39 pm

It had no trouble hanging at 70 mph on cruise control. There were times it would drop a gear and wrap up to 3500 RPM but I never hit a situation in which it couldn't keep up with an incline. Definitely not a diesel, but my trailer is light enough that this truck should be perfect for the next 4 or 5 years if I don't make any trips to Colorado. It's looking like my parents and I just landed 21 acres, 18 of which will be mine, so it's nice having a $260 payment locked in and 5 years of nothing but oil changes and tires to buy.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Tue Dec 08, 2015 6:01 am

Congratulations! I hadn't heard.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:55 pm

For my Euro friends, I just filled up the truck with diesel at £0.35/liter or just a little under €0.48/liter.