Aikido?

Play it? Watch it? Listen to it? Post it! Discuss Movies, TV, DVDs, CDs, and Evangelion! Compare Computer, Video, Pen & Paper, Sports, and any other games you want. Most anything entertaining is fair game.
Rorschach
The Immoral Immortal

Aikido?

Post by Rorschach » Sun Nov 15, 2015 1:42 pm

I know there were a couple of martial artists around so thought I'd ask.

My friend wants me to go to this class with him, but the internet's general opinion seems to be that it's quite a lot of hogwash. Anybody advise?
To Let

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Re: Aikido?

Post by Deacon » Sun Nov 15, 2015 4:13 pm

It can't hurt. Just don't take it or yourself too seriously. Go for fun, for exercise, to improve your coordination and balance. Just don't expect to come out of it a winner in an MMA or street fight.
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

Sir Spankspeople
Crazy Person

Post by Sir Spankspeople » Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:15 pm

Odd that someone would want to get into Aikido suddenly.
Inflammatory signatures hurt us all...

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:59 am

I'm assuming it's to do with The Walking Dead ;)
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

Seir
Crazy Person

Post by Seir » Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:32 am

It's mostly horseshit really. The founder and many of the other early students that actually gave it some legitimacy in the beginning previously had experience in other full-contact martial arts, ie. Gozo Shioda had a Judo background. And originally the founder had a requirement that you had to have a black belt in another art to be accepted.

In essence, it was a graduate school level sort of thing where you needed an undergrad education beforehand to make it work.

Nowadays, because a lot of times students won't be coming in from a previous martial arts background, so a lot of times they won't have experience in fighting an full-resistant opponent.

You may have heard the phrase, "It's not the style, it's the man.", being thrown around a lot but that's false dicotomy that's used by McDojo owners and artists to get people to believe them.

You may have also heard "it's a samurai art" this and "samurais used it" that, but the what they often gloss over is that the samurai had swords and other weapons. The reason someone would grab and hold on for deal life in those days was to keep you from drawing out your sword. It'll work if you have an weapon and someone is trying to keep you from pulling it out.

If you're going to pay any money for Aikido, you're going to get ripped off. If you want to get exercise, learn co-ordination and balance, you're better off taking Judo, BJJ, or Kickboxing.

Yo Mav, I'm real happy for you and Imma let you finish but Hirschoff had the best sig trends of all time.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:14 pm

Of course Seir is completed right.

Rorschach
The Immoral Immortal

Post by Rorschach » Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:01 am

Seir to the megarescue! /swoon
To Let