It's been that long???

Complain or gush all you like - this is the place to do it.
User avatar
Rorschach
Crazy Person
Posts: 17531
Joined: Tue Feb 18, 2003 7:35 am
Gender: Male
Location: Glasgow, Scotland

Re: It's been that long???

Post by Rorschach » Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:51 am

BtEO wrote:If you were questioning whether a hand really went up her skirt prior to her assault fine, I guess.
Prior to her assault? The hand was the assault, surely? Unless you know something I don't.
BtEO wrote:That wasn't what you were doing. You were looking for why the guy should have been allowed to put his hand there without expecting reprisals - when such situations are few compared to situations where it is sexual assault.
gravity says she's on a date.
gravity says the guy slips the paw.

It's a pretty common and unremarkable occurrance - and one I'm willing to bet vastly outnumbers sexual assault. So much so that on the limited information given, it's not unreasonable to assume anything beyond petting unless told otherwise. Read like an over-reaction to me. Given, as I say, the paucity of detail.

Noone's looking for excuses for unwanted sexual attention and implications to the contrary are pretty weak. The only thing I've been looking for is clarification. But if it'll untwist your knickers then I'm explicitly stating that in this hugely unlikely situation this notional guy was completely in the wrong.
Maybe you're only doing it because it's Gravity - you're still being arseholes.
Grow up. That's not even worth responding to and adds absolutely nothing beyond dummy-spitting.
To Let

User avatar
Goku
Crazy Person
Posts: 1752
Joined: Fri Feb 14, 2003 8:02 am
Gender: Male
Location: Omaha, NE
Contact:

Re: It's been that long???

Post by Goku » Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:52 am

Rorschach wrote:This is a pointless discussion anyway as it's quite clearly bullshit. Gravity laid a guy out with a single punch and then kicked him in the balls while he was down in a coffee shop. Gies peace. I find it difficult enough to believe she had a date.
Wow. Lol, did I tell you guys I missed you all? Also, I seem to be missing key details.
Image

User avatar
Rorschach
Crazy Person
Posts: 17531
Joined: Tue Feb 18, 2003 7:35 am
Gender: Male
Location: Glasgow, Scotland

Re: It's been that long???

Post by Rorschach » Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:08 pm

You have my express permission to put your hand up my skirt, Goku.
To Let

User avatar
Goku
Crazy Person
Posts: 1752
Joined: Fri Feb 14, 2003 8:02 am
Gender: Male
Location: Omaha, NE
Contact:

Re: It's been that long???

Post by Goku » Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:13 pm

Woohoo! Not only do I get action from my wife, but now I can get my grope-age on with someone from Scotland!
Best. Day. Ever.
Image

User avatar
BtEO
Crazy Person
Posts: 4750
Joined: Tue Feb 18, 2003 2:28 pm
Location: England
Contact:

Re: It's been that long???

Post by BtEO » Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:46 pm

Rorschach wrote:
BtEO wrote:If you were questioning whether a hand really went up her skirt prior to her assault fine, I guess.
Prior to her assault? The hand was the assault, surely? Unless you know something I don't.
Her assault on him. Poor phrasing I realise.
Rorschach wrote:
BtEO wrote:That wasn't what you were doing. You were looking for why the guy should have been allowed to put his hand there without expecting reprisals - when such situations are few compared to situations where it is sexual assault.
gravity says she's on a date.
gravity says the guy slips the paw.

It's a pretty common and unremarkable occurrance - and one I'm willing to bet vastly outnumbers sexual assault. So much so that on the limited information given, it's not unreasonable to assume anything beyond petting unless told otherwise. Read like an over-reaction to me. Given, as I say, the paucity of detail.
Herein lies our impasse. We had little information, conclusions were reached.

I read hand up skirt, leading to kick in balls, as an implication that the guy had gone pretty far up the leg. You read the same and assumed overreaction to harmless fumbling. My assumption leads to a guy none of us knows getting a deserved (or maybe undeserved, if she had truly overreacted) comeuppance, your assumption leads to telling a girl that what she thought was sexual assault clearly wasn't — she must have given the guy some signal that it was fine to go there; it's classic victim-blaming coming from the same source as results in some people (not necessarily you) saying that a woman was asking, or deserved to be raped if their skirt is too short, or their top too low, or they showed some of their midriff, etc…

I know you're married these days and may not have been on a early-relationship date in a while, but a great many date locations are rather public places where the degree of touching required to assume that a hand up the skirt is a reasonable manoeuvre is generally considered inappropriate — coffee shop, restaurant, cinema, public park, bar/pub, whatever; the best example I can come up with is if the date had happened in a club, and they'd found some dark corner, or the toilets, to get hot and heavy, only then am I seeing a situation that might go as far as to where hands might go up skirts and not be unexpected. I don't see Gravity as a big club person, nor the type for extreme displays of affection in one.
Rorschach wrote:You have my express permission to put your hand up my skirt, Goku.
And don't bring that straw man into this. No one is claiming every sexual manoeuvre should come with explicit verbal permission beforehand; there are many other ways to signal consent. But as I mentioned above apparently "hand up your skirt" conveys different first impressions to me than it does to you. And my interpretation apparently requires far more obvious precursors and reactions than yours does.

User avatar
Goku
Crazy Person
Posts: 1752
Joined: Fri Feb 14, 2003 8:02 am
Gender: Male
Location: Omaha, NE
Contact:

Re: It's been that long???

Post by Goku » Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:07 pm

Straw man? What?
Image

User avatar
Rorschach
Crazy Person
Posts: 17531
Joined: Tue Feb 18, 2003 7:35 am
Gender: Male
Location: Glasgow, Scotland

Re: It's been that long???

Post by Rorschach » Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:07 pm

BtEO wrote: I read hand up skirt, leading to kick in balls, as an implication that the guy had gone pretty far up the leg. You read the same and assumed overreaction to harmless fumbling.
It all seems so long ago now that it's difficult to remember. Here's how I read it: gravity is apparently smooching some guy, things are getting a little heated, he tries it on and she freaks out and punches him. That, to me, seems like a more realistic (minus the punch) scenario than someone sticking their hand up her skirt - comletely unsolicited - in front of, you'd think, witnesses.
your assumption leads to telling a girl that what she thought was sexual assault clearly wasn't
She might well have thought that. She certainly didn't make that clear. At the time, I couldn't say what it clearly was or clearly wasn't because - and you can all sing along with this by now - she didn't tell us. What is clear and has been repeatedly in the past is that gravity has/had some issues involving physical intimacy. Hence why I'm willing to believe the scenario as above and not assume that her punching some guy necessarily equates to crime having taken place.
it's classic victim-blaming coming
I didn't blame any victim. I didn't know there was one. Guess why.
I know you're married these days
I'm not, as it happens. Don't give up hope yet. :)
a great many date locations are rather public places
Indeed. But not knowing where this took place, it's understandable to assume that it was in private by the very nature of the guy's actions. I doubt many hands are put up many skirts in public. You say that, people are going to rightly think the back seat of a Camaro unless they're told different.
And don't bring that straw man into this.
It was a joke. Admittedly perhaps a poorly-considered one. You did rather the same with my kilt.

I'm not getting into the issue of consent. I was talking about one specific episode. Aside from which, I have a daughter and a fiancee and a sister. I suspect our opinions on the matter would be similar.
To Let

User avatar
Jamie Bond
Agent 0.07
Agent 0.07
Posts: 4723
Joined: Fri Feb 14, 2003 11:05 pm
Gender: Male
Location: BC, Canada

Re: It's been that long???

Post by Jamie Bond » Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:20 pm

I was curious about the details about this date too, gravity. If a guy pulls this kind of douche move like you described, striking seems appropriate to me!
"Go get the Happy!"

User avatar
Jezebel
Soapy's Choice
Posts: 5273
Joined: Fri Feb 14, 2003 8:26 am
Location: your mom
Contact:

Re: It's been that long???

Post by Jezebel » Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:55 am

Hey, how about we cool it with the derailed upskirt talk and ask YH probing and embarrassing questions. HE'S DR YH NOW YOU GUYS
Image

User avatar
Jamie Bond
Agent 0.07
Agent 0.07
Posts: 4723
Joined: Fri Feb 14, 2003 11:05 pm
Gender: Male
Location: BC, Canada

Re: It's been that long???

Post by Jamie Bond » Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:32 pm

DOCTOR OF WHAT?

Literature?
Physics?
Medicine?
Love?
"Go get the Happy!"

User avatar
Deacon
Shining Adonis
Posts: 44017
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2003 3:00 pm
Gender: Male
Location: Lakehills, TX

Re: It's been that long???

Post by Deacon » Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:04 pm

That last one isn't new.
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

User avatar
collegestudent22
Crazy Person
Posts: 6886
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:02 am
Gender: Male
Location: Gallifrey

Re: It's been that long???

Post by collegestudent22 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:46 pm

[quote="Jamie Bond"]DOCTOR OF WHAT?
[quote]

"He claims to be a doctor of everything."
Frédéric Bastiat wrote:And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works.
Count Axel Oxenstierna wrote:Dost thou not know, my son, with how little wisdom the world is governed?

User avatar
Seir
Crazy Person
Posts: 4902
Joined: Fri Feb 14, 2003 2:46 pm
Gender: Male
Location: Scumbag College.
Contact:

Re: It's been that long???

Post by Seir » Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:44 pm

Jamie Bond wrote:DOCTOR OF WHAT?

Literature?
Physics?
Medicine?
Love?
Who?
Image


Yo Mav, I'm real happy for you and Imma let you finish but Hirschoff had the best sig trends of all time.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests