11/2/07 - House Shoping

Talk about today's strip, or anything about the comic in general. You can also talk about any of the characters... but don't expect a response. They're FICTIONAL, you guys... sheesh. :)
adciv
Crazy Person

11/2/07 - House Shoping

Post by adciv » Fri Nov 02, 2007 12:55 pm

In Chicago, behind my Grandmothers house, was a pink house with purple trim. As in, Barbie doll pink with purple trim. The wife was blind, the husband was not. Lack of ARBs are not always a good thing.
Repensum Est Canicula
The most dangerous words from an Engineer: "I have an idea."
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson

BigGunn
Crazy Person

Re: 11/2/07 - House Shoping

Post by BigGunn » Fri Nov 02, 2007 1:06 pm

ahh the look of pure joy on Liz's face in the last panel juxtaposed with Greg's extreme anger. I love moments like that.

BryanP
Crazy Person

Post by BryanP » Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:18 pm

You see the oddest places while house hunting. When my wife and I were looking we passed on quite a few for minor issues, but one we almost bought we dubbed "The Pink Cat House." The carpet was bright pink. Seriously pink.

Another had no place to eat. Literally. "Where do you eat in this place?" "Uhh ... " No dining room. The kitchen wasn't sized or laid out properly to be an eat-in kitchen. Nice place, but we would have to turn a bedroom into a dining room.

At another we pulled up and said to the realtor "Hmm. This place looks to be out of the price range we specified." "You're right, it does. I've never shown anyone this house before ..." Yeargh. Based on the smell and the condition of the carpets they didn't clean up after their cats. Holes bashed in the drywall and god knows what else. If I had been single at the time I might have bought the place on the theory that I could put up with the mess while I fixed it up. But ... no.

philippos42
Crazy Person

Post by philippos42 » Sat Nov 03, 2007 2:38 am

Wait, was this house real?
GENERATION 5: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and increment the generation by 1. Consider it a social experiment.
Spoiler: (click to reveal/hide)
Actually, I should be Generation 6, but I didn't notice it on a post by UFOs8MyCat.

StruckingFuggle
Crazy Person

Post by StruckingFuggle » Sat Nov 03, 2007 2:49 am

adciv wrote:Lack of ARBs are not always a good thing.
What's an ARB?
"He who lives by the sword dies by my arrow."

"In your histories, there are continual justifications for all manner of hellish actions. Claims of nobility and heritage and honor to cover up every bit of genocide, assassination, and massacre. At least the Horde is honest in their naked lust for power."

Lizzegirle
Forum Queen

Post by Lizzegirle » Sat Nov 03, 2007 4:06 am

philippos42 wrote:Wait, was this house real?
Yeah, we saw some real winners while out house hunting. :?

Vyenpakakapaka
Crazy Person

Post by Vyenpakakapaka » Sat Nov 03, 2007 2:22 pm

I don't come around to post about comics often...but this comic hit home (ha ha) in more ways than one.

My girlfriend (Liz) and I visited San Francisco the week before school started to visit her aunt and uncle, who are retired architects. San Francisco is a very beautiful city! And there are lots of beautiful houses there...and I don't just mean the painted ladies (or whatever they're called =P). Liz's relative's had a wonderful place...and I love how most of the places are very tall as opposed to very wide, presumably to save on space. There are a lot of things going on in San Fran, but it never felt crowded or like a big city. I was bummed when I heard you guys had to move...and I'm not the one moving. ><

My most vivid memory of the place was a street with a row of your 'normally' colored houses - white, that off-white that I hate...then one Robin's Egg Blue house that I absolutely adored. Blue is my favorite color, and although -everyone else- thought it was an eyesore because it was...well, bright blue, I adored it. Yeah, I know. It didn't fit in. But I thought it was a wonderful color, and I would have considered it had I been looking to move out that way.

I know what Greg means about generic floorplans. The road I live on (in a city way back between 'nowhere' and 'not found on Mapquest') had houses built down it before I was born, and they're all the freakin' -same-. Not in color or trim, but in layout. When I went to visit a friend or neighbor down the road, I didn't have to ask where the bathroom was. I knew. Because the layout was the -exact same-. Maybe they used different rooms for bedrooms, or the parent's bedroom would be where my bedroom was in my house...but thats about it. In the past year, they've added four new houses in a row, and they look completely different, which is good! But...now it makes all of the other places look lamer than they already do.

And the kicker?
Another had no place to eat. Literally. "Where do you eat in this place?" "Uhh ... " No dining room. The kitchen wasn't sized or laid out properly to be an eat-in kitchen. Nice place, but we would have to turn a bedroom into a dining room.
Every one of the 'old' houses down here has a kitchen...and the kitchen hardly has the room to be an eat-in kitchen. Our kitchen table is piled up with stuff...we eat in the living room in front of the TV, even (especially) if we have guests over.

adciv
Crazy Person

Post by adciv » Sat Nov 03, 2007 3:49 pm

StruckingFuggle wrote:
adciv wrote:Lack of ARBs are not always a good thing.
What's an ARB?
Architectural Review Board. Basically, it keeps the houses relatively uniform in colors and decorations. So no rusting cars in the front lawn, making sure the lawn is mowed periodically, not having a pink with purple trim house or ... worse. General requirement for the one where I grew up was that you had to have a similar/like color to another house in the neighborhood when you got your house repainted, for instance.

And before you say anything about it being their house, it's in the agreement when you buy the house and you get to see a copy of all the rules and everything beforehand.
Repensum Est Canicula
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Sat Nov 03, 2007 5:11 pm

He means a Homeowners' Association.
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

adciv
Crazy Person

Post by adciv » Sat Nov 03, 2007 6:06 pm

Not exactly, although they are related. In my area, the Homeowners association handled things like the trash contract and a few other things related to infrastructure. The ARB handled looks and building changes. I guess in most places they are the same thing.
Repensum Est Canicula

Lizzegirle
Forum Queen

Post by Lizzegirle » Sat Nov 03, 2007 8:23 pm

In Tahoe we have the TRPA (Tahoe Regional Planning Agency) which isn't a homeowners association but more of a government funded agency to keep Tahoe quaint and the water clear. They were started to mostly be an environmental group to keep the environment in Tahoe healthy and pollution free, but they have kind of turned into Nazi assholes who can tell you whether you can have a statue in your front yard or how many pine needles you can rake before you incur fines, etc. They recently put down huge boulders in front of everyone's home so that people couldn't park their cars there.

The TRPA is under the gun right now for the fire this summer. You see, people were told that they couldn't rake needles up around their houses because it would cause erosion and cloud the Lake. If you did rake and got caught, you would see HUGE fines coming your way. Well, no raking means no defensible space around your home when a fire hits. (This is something that they drill into your heads from about kindergarten on.) So people are blaming TRPA for their houses being burned. Those that did have defensible space had minor damage, where the others were nothing but embers.

Anyways, I was just backing up his claim that there are government run agencies around that can tell you what you can and cannot do with your home, even if you don't belong to an association.

adciv
Crazy Person

Post by adciv » Sat Nov 03, 2007 8:27 pm

You see, people were told that they couldn't rake needles up around their houses because it would cause erosion and cloud the Lake.
I can't believe we still have idiot environmentalists like this around. It's groups like this that are responsible for the current wildfire situation in this country due to their insistence on putting out all wild fires, causing the tinder/kindling buildup over the past 70 years.
Repensum Est Canicula

spikegirl7
Crazy Person

Post by spikegirl7 » Sat Nov 03, 2007 9:47 pm

In Tahoe we have the TRPA (Tahoe Regional Planning Agency) which isn't a homeowners association but more of a government funded agency to keep Tahoe quaint and the water clear. They were started to mostly be an environmental group to keep the environment in Tahoe healthy and pollution free, but they have kind of turned into Nazi assholes who can tell you whether you can have a statue in your front yard or how many pine needles you can rake before you incur fines, etc. They recently put down huge boulders in front of everyone's home so that people couldn't park their cars there.
That's retarded. There is a line between what is reasonable and what is clearly not. Telling you that you can't put up a giant 20-foot statue of Al Sharpton? Reasonable. Telling you that you can't park in front of your own home? Not.

Well, as to those hideous houses, you know that to the people who made them that way it was JUST RIGHT. Although when they were getting ready to sell the house they should have had the sense to paint/modify it so it was attractive to people other than themselves. Case in point: my aunt had a Jacuzzi put into her bathroom. It also had a rim that was covered in BRIGHT RED SHAG CARPET and the walls were LIME GREEN. The tiles were of course white and black checker. This was a TACKY bathroom. Before she moved out she painted the room and put in tile that was.... less offensive to the eye.

And let's not forget when my parents went house shopping. Bright primary colors and a master bedroom that had a mirror build into the walls and ceiling. THE WHOLE WALL. I'm just thankful that my house only has a few disgusting color choices to fix....
'What is morality?'
'Judgment to distinguish right and wrong, vision to see the truth, courage to act upon it, dedication to that which is good, integrity to stand by the good at any price.'

adciv
Crazy Person

Post by adciv » Sat Nov 03, 2007 9:53 pm

spikegirl7 wrote:And let's not forget when my parents went house shopping. Bright primary colors and a master bedroom that had a mirror build into the walls and ceiling. THE WHOLE WALL. I'm just thankful that my house only has a few disgusting color choices to fix....
"Why would anyone want a mirror over their bed?" -- Monk

I wonder what the previous owner did for a living?
Repensum Est Canicula

StruckingFuggle
Crazy Person

Post by StruckingFuggle » Sat Nov 03, 2007 9:58 pm

Spike, I thought the point of NFAs were to keep up the resale value of neighboring houses, not your own house. So you don't just "repaint it when you go to move out" ...?
"He who lives by the sword dies by my arrow."

"In your histories, there are continual justifications for all manner of hellish actions. Claims of nobility and heritage and honor to cover up every bit of genocide, assassination, and massacre. At least the Horde is honest in their naked lust for power."