COVID's touch

Complain or gush all you like - this is the place to do it.
Winterbay_
Redshirt

Re: COVID's touch

Post by Winterbay_ » Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:49 am

My mother got her first shot two weeks ago (she's retired but is working extra a bit in an assisted living home and as such was in priority group 1), is currently in the hospital getting her hip replaced and will get the second dose a week or so after that. That combined with having had, albeit a mild version, of covid-19 already should hopefully give her a pretty good level of protection.
I'm unlikely to get any dose before June.
The problem with trying to make yourself more stupid than you are is that you often succeed...

Martin Blank
Knower of Things
Knower of Things

Post by Martin Blank » Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:10 am

Wife got her second last week. Texas is opening up some Phase 1C this week. Still no idea when Phase 2 starts. I'm registered with Dallas and Tarrant Counties, and hoping to get on my own county's registration list at some point.
If I show up at your door, chances are you did something to bring me there.

Doc Giggles
Redshirt

Post by Doc Giggles » Tue Mar 16, 2021 6:55 am

I'm still waiting for my turn to get the shot. My age group was to open up April 1st, then they decided to open it to everyone on the first so now I get the joy of trying to get a reservation at the same time as half of the state. I think I'll be lucky if I get it by the end of June.
Disciple of Gnarr
“Let there be truth, happiness, and waffles”
-Nomad, Dark Lord & Avatar of Gnarr

Rorschach
The Immoral Immortal

Post by Rorschach » Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:30 am

My best friend has it. He’s the first person I know directly to be tested positive.
No respiratory problems for him. Just the bad body ache of a flu.
I wasn’t even that worried about him until he told me he’s been in bed for the best part of a week and yet hasn’t even felt like having one off the wrist.
Concerning.
To Let

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Tue Mar 16, 2021 2:24 pm

Call the coroner. He’s clearly an ex parrot.
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Fri Mar 19, 2021 1:09 am

I never really took my mom for an anti-vaxxer, and she’s not on social media (I’m sure everyone she talks to is). But the insidiousness of rumors, innuendo, and weaponized FUD wasn’t invented by and isn’t limited to social media. She’s a former LVN and should know better. But she’s also the sort who avoids using a microwave because radiation and will let me take her to The Palm for a special birthday dinner and then orders the chicken because she decided Jesus said not to eat lobster in the Old Testament.

My dad was scheduled to get the first/only shot (not sure which) this afternoon. I touched base with him shortly after, and it turns out he didn’t do it. He told me that my mom tearfully begged him not to get vaccinated, that she’s way more worried about a vaccine than COVID-19. They’re both 65. My dad has been fairly unconcerned about COVID for himself and generally wore his mask as a responsible citizen and was a little more cautious around his parents who are in their mid 80’s. But since the rest of his extended family is either vaccinated or in the process, and a couple months have gone by to let the nursing homes get through their list, etc, he figured he’d get it done so he doesn’t have to think about much and to make everyone else more comfortable.

But now it appears to make my mom happy they’ll both continue to go unvaccinated.

I already have a “cordial” relationship with my mom. We’ve never really gotten along. She remembers fondly the days when I was a sweet little toddler and had no mind of my own. I will tell you right now that if something does happen to my dad, I’m pretty sure I’m done playing nice and accommodating my mom out of some generalized sense of duty.
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

Seir
Redshirt

Post by Seir » Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:23 am

I hope you don't mind me saying, but it's quite baffling that your mom would have that kind of position towards vaccines since you mentioned that she's a former licensed vocation nurse. Do you know if there's any particular reason why she developed that stance?
Yo Mav, I'm real happy for you and Imma let you finish but Hirschoff had the best sig trends of all time.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:00 am

Seir wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:23 am I hope you don't mind me saying, but it's quite baffling that your mom would have that kind of position towards vaccines since you mentioned that she's a former licensed vocation nurse. Do you know if there's any particular reason why she developed that stance?
Nope. Someone told her something and made it sound scary. Once she gets some cockamamie idea in her head from some book she read or something a crazy person told her, it’s impossible to get it out.

Doc Giggles
Redshirt

Post by Doc Giggles » Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:26 pm

My grandmother was a nurse post WW2 and was terrified of vaccines. Then again, in her time they didn't do as much testing before they were approved so bad side effects were not uncommon. She was scared of them right up until her death even though she knew the modern ones were much safer and the bad side effects were now rare. Even with her fear of them, she would never tell people not to get one. She would just tell them to talk to their doctor and see if they were okay with any possible risks.
Disciple of Gnarr
“Let there be truth, happiness, and waffles”
-Nomad, Dark Lord & Avatar of Gnarr