COVID's touch

Complain or gush all you like - this is the place to do it.
auntmousie
Redshirt

Re: COVID's touch

Post by auntmousie » Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:51 pm

Martin Blank wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:08 pm For some uplifting news, our family friend who was at death’s door with a long list of co-morbidities; refusing medication, food, and water; refusing to communicate with family and friends; and transferred to hospice for palliative care, is recovering and planning to move to a new (hopefully competent) nursing home closer to family in Wisconsin. She’s not completely clear yet and is still testing positive, but this is an enormous turnaround from what everyone was expecting.
I'm glad to hear that she's turning a corner, and will continue to hope for the best. Sad to hear of your others. As far as I know I haven't lost anyone within my orbit yet, though my wife is already both immune- and lung-compromised, so if she gets it that's that. And my folks both have heart problems. So we're all collectively scared shitless.

The only casualties, so far, are (1) one of my cats, who died unexpectedly from an issue that we would have had a vet check out sooner but for COVID; and (2) my Sunday D&D group, which is probably dead for good since a couple of the players are relocating. Overall that's not such a bad tally, and I know others have been hit considerably harder.
When all is said and done, more is generally said than is done.
Ask me anything - no, really - but be warned: I will answer. If you didn't want to know... don't ask.

Winterbay_
Redshirt

Post by Winterbay_ » Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:16 am

auntmousie wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:51 pm The only casualties, so far, are (1) one of my cats, who died unexpectedly from an issue that we would have had a vet check out sooner but for COVID; and (2) my Sunday D&D group, which is probably dead for good since a couple of the players are relocating. Overall that's not such a bad tally, and I know others have been hit considerably harder.
D&D via Discord/Zoom with Roll20 or D&D Beyond works relatively well to keep things running if needed.
The problem with trying to make yourself more stupid than you are is that you often succeed...

Martin Blank
Knower of Things
Knower of Things

Post by Martin Blank » Sat Nov 28, 2020 6:02 am

And now my COVID-truther brother has it and is hospitalized on 6L O2/min, about the max flow for a nasal cannula. May have heart and/or liver damage from it. His wife also has it, just not bad enough to get hospitalized. Fortunately, his numbers are improving and he may be able to go home in a week or so with an oxygen cart. He just moved to Texas a couple of weeks ago. My mother, who is right on the edge of being a truther, decided that he got it while driving through El Paso, not from the COVID-positive neighbor that helped him pack.
If I show up at your door, chances are you did something to bring me there.

Winterbay_
Redshirt

Post by Winterbay_ » Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:49 am

El Paso sounds very dangerous if that's the case...
The problem with trying to make yourself more stupid than you are is that you often succeed...

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:49 pm

Winterbay_ wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:49 am El Paso sounds very dangerous if that's the case...
The mom sounds more dangerous...
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

raptor9k
Redshirt

Post by raptor9k » Tue Jan 26, 2021 5:12 pm

No Truthers in my family but we've had our go with Covid. My brother brought it to Christmas eve dinner but didn't test positive until Christmas day evening. He's a corporate pilot and for the most part rich people don't wear masks on their private jets. he spiked a fever and had all of the flu like symptoms but no respiratory issues. We all quarantined at our respective houses and lo and behold around day 8 of quarantine my step dad tested positive when he went in with sinus issues, no other symptoms. That night my mom spiked a fever and got the flu like symptoms but no respiratory issues. She tested positive the next day and ended up getting hooked up with the monoclonal antibody infusion due to age and immune issues. To be safe, because I sat next to my brother during dinner, I got tested same day and was positive despite no real symptoms. That started the 10 day journey of living in my office and sleeping on the Murphy bed. Thankfully, the wife and son tested negative and I only had to endure 10 days of nowhere to sit save my office chair or the pull down bed. Played a lot of Hardspace: Shipbreaker, Poly Bridge 2, and Hydroneer. Everyone recovered with no lasting issues. I never really developed anything worse than a little post nasal drip and a mild cough. I'm not even sure they were covid related given the day before testing positive I spent sawing plywood to build a reloading shelf with no respirator. Also attempted to aspirate a decent amount of Coke Zero later that night. Fun times.

Martin Blank
Knower of Things
Knower of Things

Post by Martin Blank » Tue Jan 26, 2021 5:18 pm

Our county is slowly getting more vaccine doses. My wife might be able to get hers in a couple of weeks, while her mom just got her first dose. I probably won't get mine until spring. So ready to just be able to take the kids to the park.

Rorschach
The Immoral Immortal

Post by Rorschach » Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:55 am

Post-nasal drips are the worst. Well, obviously not the worst but they are hugely annoying.
To Let

Doc Giggles
Redshirt

Post by Doc Giggles » Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:07 pm

Both my brother an I get post-nasal drips for most of the winter. We both get coughs when things start to get cold, but I normally can beat it after a month. This year has been fun. Our yearly cough has people freaking out thinking we are sick.

With that said, I fear my brother and his family are sick. During a family zoom call, it came out that he wouldn't let one of his adult kids come home for a visit.This was after he was late joining the call because he was taking a shower because he felt "clammy." His youngest said it was his third of the day and all of them were not looking like they were feeling well. There is a high chance that they caught COVID (has meeting with politicians as well as inlaws that believe COVID is a hoax.) We believe they are hiding it because we keep telling them they need to be more careful, but they have been treating all this like it's no big deal.
Disciple of Gnarr
“Let there be truth, happiness, and waffles”
-Nomad, Dark Lord & Avatar of Gnarr

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:59 pm

Hopefully if they get it they won’t suffer too badly.
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

Winterbay_
Redshirt

Post by Winterbay_ » Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:41 am

raptor9k wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 5:12 pm No Truthers
The fact that the English word for people who deny the existence of Covid-19 is a "Truther" is so weird. I am much more a fan of the German term which is "Corona-Lügner" (i.e. "one who lies about corona").

Rorschach
The Immoral Immortal

Post by Rorschach » Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:13 am

I think German might be a little more literal that English.
Mind you, I'm only basing that off that one episode of Fawlty Towers.
To Let

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Tue Feb 02, 2021 3:27 pm

I just call them deniers.

Martin Blank
Knower of Things
Knower of Things

Post by Martin Blank » Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:57 pm

Wife got her first shot this morning. Second one follows in four weeks, I think.

No idea when I'll be able to get mine.

raptor9k
Redshirt

Post by raptor9k » Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:51 pm

My wife got her first shot last week but they didn't automatically schedule her for a follow up. My son is currently staying with my parents during the day because the school is 100% virtual this week. So many teachers have Covid, or have been exposed, they literally don't have enough staff to open the doors until some people get back from quarantine.