COVID's touch

Complain or gush all you like - this is the place to do it.
Martin Blank
Knower of Things
Knower of Things

COVID's touch

Post by Martin Blank » Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:18 pm

Sometime in the next few hours or days, a woman I have known my entire life will be gone, taken by COVID likely because one infected nurse at her nursing home couldn't quarantine like she was told and just had to come on-site to have lunch with her friends. Peggy joined the family, as I am told, as a hitchhiker picked up by my grandfather when he was doing long-haul trucking. She is feisty and independent, but also generous and loving. While there are rifts in my family, everyone loves Peggy.

Maybe she could have had the will to get better, but she was to be sent back to the nursing home, a place where medications were filled haphazardly if at all, where bed sore checks were rarely made on schedule, where "COVID isolation" meant being moved to a wing of the home where you were put in a room with another COVID-positive patient. Fortunately, she's going to a hospice center and not back to the nursing home (though the hospice is owned by the same company), where she will live out whatever time she has left, and then leave her broken body and not live in fear or pain anymore.

I don't know what the situation is in the Idaho panhandle regarding COVID. We hear a lot more about the bigger states, and even news about Idaho tends to be about Boise. If anyone knows more directly what Couer d'Alene is going through, please let me know. She was sent to the hospital when she had difficulty breathing, tested positive, and then was sent back to the nursing home 24 hours later when she didn't progress. I don't know if the area is inundated and the hospital was doing triage or they just suck. She went back to the hospital two days later and was on a ventilator for a while before going to a BIPAP. She started refusing food, water, and medications, and is in renal failure. She's refusing communications with anyone, probably because she's too tired to argue about her decision. She just wants to die at this point, and it pains me to think of both how and why.

On a secondary note, my brother is getting married in September, ceremony and all. I'm not going because of the COVID risk and he understands. I am annoyed that he couldn't wait a while for this, but it's his call. I am afraid that those in attendance will be at a higher risk, including my parents, who are both in their 60s, and my father has a ton of underlying conditions. Hell, my brother was until recently a smoker and has diminished lung capacity. I hope nothing happens, but I am afraid that will not be the case.
If I show up at your door, chances are you did something to bring me there.

raptor9k
Crazy Person

Re: COVID's touch

Post by raptor9k » Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:02 pm

That sucks, no matter how you look at it. May she find peace.

We are the only ones on my wife's side that are taking it seriously. So many people are having weddings and vacations and doing whatever the hell they want, all the while ranting against the statewide mask mandate that was only enacted last week. I'm not sure they will even take it seriously once someone dies. My father in law (obese, smoker, high blood pressure, diabetic) finally realized it wasn't just the flu when one of his, far healthier, good friends spent a week on a ventilator.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:26 pm

I'm sorry to hear that. It seems like these kinds of stories are the culmination of so many negative developments over the years and have only highlighted them more starkly. I hope for better.
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

Martin Blank
Knower of Things
Knower of Things

Post by Martin Blank » Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:09 pm

raptor9k wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:02 pm
That sucks, no matter how you look at it. May she find peace.

We are the only ones on my wife's side that are taking it seriously. So many people are having weddings and vacations and doing whatever the hell they want, all the while ranting against the statewide mask mandate that was only enacted last week. I'm not sure they will even take it seriously once someone dies. My father in law (obese, smoker, high blood pressure, diabetic) finally realized it wasn't just the flu when one of his, far healthier, good friends spent a week on a ventilator.
My dad is severely obese, has heart issues, and has gone through renal failure once already. All of those are bad going into COVID, and he's going to the wedding.
Deacon wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:26 pm
I'm sorry to hear that. It seems like these kinds of stories are the culmination of so many negative developments over the years and have only highlighted them more starkly. I hope for better.
I've come to the conclusion that this country has a lot of selfishness in it. People have just been willing to mask it behind an occasional kindness. Gonna remember those people, right in the same group as people who leave shopping carts strewn about the parking lot.

Seir
Crazy Person

Post by Seir » Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:20 am

I'm sorry to hear that COVID-19 has reached your life personally like this. If and when the pandemic ends in this country I really hope that people in this country take a long hard look at themselves.

Well, that's me being optimistic. The jaded side of me thinks that too many people are inherently selfish and would only listen if it left them personally scarred.

But you continue to do whatever it takes to protect yourself and your family. I know we all want you to be around for years.
Yo Mav, I'm real happy for you and Imma let you finish but Hirschoff had the best sig trends of all time.

Rorschach
The Immoral Immortal

Post by Rorschach » Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:24 am

I’m sorry to hear of your news, MB. Although as an introduction story, I can’t see many beating Peggy’s.

I worry about my American chums at the moment. I’ve stopped following the need quite as slavishly as I was a while back as it was making me want to introduce my blood to bathwater and also I’ve been busy, but things aren’t looking good over there eh?

Mind you, for all I know the UK is equally fucked. I hear murmurings that a lot of England is going into lockdown again.
To Let

Rorschach
The Immoral Immortal

Post by Rorschach » Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:52 pm

And there goes Aberdeen.
To Let

TammyJess
Crazy Person

Post by TammyJess » Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:28 pm

https://www.dhhs.vic.gov.au/stage-4-res ... y-covid-19

essentially:
A curfew is in place between the hours of 8pm until 5am. This means you must be at your home during these hours. The only reasons to leave home between 8pm and 5am will be work, medical care and caregiving.
Outside of curfew, you can't travel further than 5km unless the essential service you are going to isn't available within that radius.

It's a pita, but we have idiots here too. Like the ones who bleat about their rights to not wear masks, and have their car window smashed by the police in order to be dragged out and away under arrest.
Or choose to drive 200km to a MacDonalds because they're bored. Or young. Or vapid.
... tentative steps towards a real life ...
searching for the seeds to a tree that should have been planted a lifetime ago

auntmousie
Crazy Person

Post by auntmousie » Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:13 am

I think there would be massive protests here (US) over a shelter-in-place order that was that restrictive.. even though it would doubtless save lives.

Interestingly, nothing in that order would change my current activities, although it would totally crush one thing I've been thinking about. My ... "umfriend" lives here, but works (doing caregiving) at a client's home about 100 miles away. (I'm ballparking the distance as I'm too lazy to google it, but it's more than fifty and less than two hundred.) She normally stays there most of a month, then comes "home" for a long weekend to decompress - but because her client has respiratory issues, she felt compelled to stay with him during the early weeks of the pandemic, and is now effectively trapped.

I've been pondering a rescue operation, but under the AU restrictions, I don't see how it could be possible.
When all is said and done, more is generally said than is done.
Ask me anything - no, really - but be warned: I will answer. If you didn't want to know... don't ask.

TammyJess
Crazy Person

Post by TammyJess » Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:13 am

I would love to think in your situation that would be considered as 'caregiving' and exempt. Mental health catastrophes are likely to cause more deaths here than the actual virus. Not just from the restrictions, but from all the failed businesses, uncertain financial futures for families. Covid is a sh*tshow in so very many diverse ways. As heartless and uncaring as the USA response seems to be, at least it isn't forcing business into untenable positions.

In all honesty, Covid hasn't affected my old-life's day-to-day activities, I work from home, do not have a large social group—how could I?! I don't fit in with men, women think I'm `on the prowl`—but it is putting a serious crimp on my ability to move forward.

I got in touch with a very old girl friend (is that what you mean by umfriend?) fairly quickly after coming out, I would be there in a heartbeat, get my nails done, sit and have a cuppa... allow her to try make-up on me, she is very supportive, way more so than my (ex)partner.

Send love to your umfriend.. caregiving is hard enough, let alone in this storm. She deserves all the love and hugs she can get, and I hope she can stay safe.

Doc Giggles
Crazy Person

Post by Doc Giggles » Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:29 am

Businesses are failing anyway. Many were running too close to the edge and the slowdown is more than they are able to survive. The company that fired me was one of the strongest in their field in this area, but from what I've been hearing, it's not looking good for them. Entire company cut to 32 hours a week. Anyone within a year of retirement was pushed out the door (they started putting pressure on anyone 1-3 years now.) Inventory cut to bare minimums, even if that means they are ordering replacements every day. Anyone not given work, and can't find any busy work on their own gets sent home without pay. The only work half of them are getting are working on hospital equipment on site. Stress is so high that many of them are close to breaking. I had hoped that things would turn around and my old job would call me back like they said they wanted to do when things pick back up, but that hope is almost gone now.

I help care for my dad. He has MS. We have nearly lost him twice in the 4 months before COVID to colds. If I had still been working and caught COVID while working on equipment in a hospital, I know I would have killed him. They keep saying that the unemployment rate here is one of the lowest in the US and that the are lots of jobs, but I've been looking for anything for the last 4 months. The only work out there are part time, minimum wage jobs in high risk of exposure locations. My unemployment is about to run out and to take one of the jobs that are hiring, I run a high risk of bringing death into my house.

To say that I'm feeling scared, depressed, isolated, alone, and on the verge of a breakdown would be an understatement.
Disciple of Gnarr
“Let there be truth, happiness, and waffles”
-Nomad, Dark Lord & Avatar of Gnarr

Martin Blank
Knower of Things
Knower of Things

Post by Martin Blank » Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:08 pm

For some uplifting news, our family friend who was at death’s door with a long list of co-morbidities; refusing medication, food, and water; refusing to communicate with family and friends; and transferred to hospice for palliative care, is recovering and planning to move to a new (hopefully competent) nursing home closer to family in Wisconsin. She’s not completely clear yet and is still testing positive, but this is an enormous turnaround from what everyone was expecting.

I'm not going to use this as a platform to tell people, "See? People can get better! Yay!" I know her odds were extremely slim and I had given up hope, expecting to hear about a funeral I would never attend. She had given up hope herself and would rather have died a miserable COVID death than go back to the nursing home. But somehow--probably because the virus didn't fully take hold in her lungs and she never got an opportunistic bacterial infection--she made it through the worst.

Doesn't help the two people I knew in high school who died of it, though, at right around my age.

TammyJess
Crazy Person

Post by TammyJess » Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:57 am

@Martin, oh thank goodness! I'm soo happy to hear Peggy is recovering. It was overwhelming to read of her plight, and reactions to it. The quality of the nursing home is such an important factor in the mental health of the residents. My partner's Dad had a bad experience in care when he broke a hip, such that the next year he was in hospital, he just wanted to die. On discharge/transfer, we got him into a home that actually cared for their people.. and while he died shortly after, his smile and happiness was palpable. I hope Peggy continues to improve and brings joy back into all your lives.

@Doc, my partner cares for her mother, weekly visits to provide shopping and any other support needed. She is very paranoid also about bringing covid into her home. I'm worried for your income and loss of work (even if only respite from all the feelings you expressed), but think you might have dodged a bullet with your dad. Better safe than sorry. Masks, washing hands, gloves if at all possible, please be careful when you take what work comes your way. Please? Also, as much as I think everyone in forum is here for you if you need to talk and decompress, please reach out to a helpline as well.. actually talking to others may be helpful too.

Much love and positive energy going out to all of you, Hugs!

Rorschach
The Immoral Immortal

Post by Rorschach » Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:12 am

Good news, MB.

Doc, I'm really sorry to hear of your troubles. I'm fairly useless, not very wise, and probably have nothing valuable to add but my inbox is always open (behave yourselves) if you ever feel the need to talk.
To Let

Doc Giggles
Crazy Person

Post by Doc Giggles » Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:31 pm

Thanks. I appreciate everything. As funny as it sounds, everyone here has already helped. I'm stuck at home, going out maybe once a week for supplies. Here, if even for a moment, I get to see others. Things are not so lonely then.

Oh, and Rors, you are not useless, and I think you are a lot more wise than you know
Disciple of Gnarr
“Let there be truth, happiness, and waffles”
-Nomad, Dark Lord & Avatar of Gnarr