Son of Rantettes & Ravettes

Complain or gush all you like - this is the place to do it.
Hirschof
Crazy Person

Re: Son of Rantettes & Ravettes

Post by Hirschof » Mon May 11, 2015 7:27 pm

Deacon wrote:It's easy to hate cyclists. They too often are that intolerable mix of entitled and aggressively inconsiderate, and they then up the ante by behaving as though they've decided that the rules of the road are beneath them. It's up to you to guess what they're going to slowly do.
I've considered getting a dashcam because I've almost killed three over the past year. For whatever reason, these bastards have decided to invade my area - which is hills and creeks tattooed with roads with no shoulders and sparse lighting. I want evidence if one of these asshats ends up on my windshield.
"Hirschof: So much more than a handy masturbatory image." -Rorschach
"I think Hirschof is neat." -Sophira

RIP RLF SIG Trend: Aug 2004 - Jan 2010.
mah facebook

Rorschach
The Immoral Immortal

Post by Rorschach » Mon May 11, 2015 7:32 pm

Hirschof wrote:For whatever reason, these bastards have decided to invade my area
Your innocence makes you all the more alluring. <3
To Let

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Mon May 11, 2015 7:43 pm

I've heard of it but rarely seen it myself. Especially in this part of the country it's not feasible to commute on bicycle, as everything is too far spread out compared to the dense urban population centers of New York or London. So most of the cyclists around here are the ones who is it for sport on the weekend, forming slowly rolling roadblocks in packs with silly and brightly colored clothing made from various artificial fabrics to fit tightly.

PS I, too, have been considering acquiring a dash cam setup. Out here in the near hill country they're either 100% absent or a locust-like plague that thinks nothing of failing to yield on a blind curve with 60 mph traffic and they have a stop light they just breezed through.
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

Hirschof
Crazy Person

Post by Hirschof » Mon May 11, 2015 7:59 pm

I don't see much of the horde stuff at all but there are quite a few after the weekday quitting hours. I wonder how much the growing rate of transplants in south/central Texas feeds this.
Rorschach wrote:Your innocence makes you all the more alluring. <3
"Stupid sexy Flanders" keeps playing in my head.
"Hirschof: So much more than a handy masturbatory image." -Rorschach
"I think Hirschof is neat." -Sophira

RIP RLF SIG Trend: Aug 2004 - Jan 2010.
mah facebook

Cyberliger777
Crazy Person

Post by Cyberliger777 » Mon May 11, 2015 8:32 pm

Rorschach wrote:
Cyberliger777 wrote:Rant: Bikers pointing down at a lane expecting you to see it and know what they mean while already being on the line
What did they mean?

I've come to hate cyclists. Yes, I am a prick but at least I'm a self-aware one.
My assumption after seeing it 10 times or more is that they are merging into that lane. Don't know why they don't use the turn signal on their motorcycle. Or use the stranded American Hand Signals for Driving.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Mon May 11, 2015 8:59 pm

Oh, you mean a motorcycle? That's different. Bikers will drop their left hand (which operates the clutch, not the brake or throttle like the right hand and is thus not terribly necessary while cruising down the road) as a greeting to other bikers in oncoming traffic, acknowledging one of their own passing by.
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

JermCool
Crazy Person

Post by JermCool » Mon May 11, 2015 10:04 pm

Cyberliger777 wrote:My assumption after seeing it 10 times or more is that they are merging into that lane. Don't know why they don't use the turn signal on their motorcycle. Or use the stranded American Hand Signals for Driving.
I use my blinkers when riding and save the hand signals for group rides. As Deacon said, I'll show two fingers when passing another biker ("two on the ground") since we're all just so very, very cool.

Cyclists are a different story. They're just cocks.
Insert Banner Here
"The internet is bullcrap! And everyone on it is retarded!" - Muspar
"All threads should degenerate into the bumming of JermCool." - Rorschach

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Mon May 11, 2015 11:24 pm

A similar thing that's less noticeable to others in traffic is the Jeep Wave. If you drive a Jeep (primarily the Wrangler and its CJ forebears but can be extended to any Jeep model that's been heavily modified to increase its off-road prowess) you generally at least lift the 4 fingers of your left hand off the wheel or even take your left hand off the wheel and wave more exuberantly in a show of brotherly solidarity.

EvilElf
Crazy Person

Post by EvilElf » Tue May 12, 2015 12:37 am

Rorschach wrote:Speak it, preacher.

British cyclists have taken to wearing cameras on their helmets. Have you seen this? Have you heard of this? That drives me insane.
Started noticing people doing that in Portland, OR as well.

BtEO
Crazy Person

Post by BtEO » Tue May 12, 2015 6:09 pm

Rant: So much money spent on Amiibos recently.
Rave: Managed to get a Pac-Man Amiibo during a small window when Game had some stock on offer, thus maintaining my streak of not paying over £20 for a single one — even the rare ones I've got.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Tue May 12, 2015 6:41 pm

NERRRRRRRD!

Rorschach
The Immoral Immortal

Post by Rorschach » Tue May 12, 2015 6:48 pm

Amiibo, eh? I forget just how much this forum drags me into modern culture. So tell me more about this 'Pack Man'...

Which reminds me: should I get one of these Disney Infinity things for Cara? Also, what are they?
To Let

EvilElf
Crazy Person

Post by EvilElf » Tue May 12, 2015 10:35 pm

Rant: Writing documentation sucks.
Rave: If they like what I wrote I have a job again!

BtEO
Crazy Person

Post by BtEO » Tue May 12, 2015 11:45 pm

As a game Disney Infinity is the same kind of fun as the Lego games. It's not going to challenge you, but that doesn't have to matter. The Toybox level creator can be an interesting beast to tame if you're looking for a high quality result but simple levels don't take much effort and offer an excellent "I made this" factor.

It can easily start sucking up funds if you let it though. Each £10-£15 figure is a another character to play as but there are quite a lot of them and depending on your mindset the desire to get them all can be strong. I've got all the 2.0 characters now though so I'm safe until 3 launches with Star Wars characters. The quality of the figurines can be excellent though, a lot of detail can be packed into the rather cartoonish lines.

Muspar
Crazy Person

Post by Muspar » Wed May 13, 2015 12:20 am

Rant: My years of working for a software company, playing Magic the gathering/D&D/video games, and eating all the snacks while watching reruns of Archer have left my upper body hilariously underdeveloped. I want to do a triathlon but I have to do actual work to get in shape for it :(

Rave: Working out more means I get to eat more!

Rant again: I have to fight the urge to say "bro" and "dude" all the time now that I pray at the Iron Church every day.

Speaking of cyclists believing society's rules don't apply to them, runners during an event feel the same way. "Hey, I have a bib with numbers on it! I'm gonna go crap just off the sidewalk!" "The hell I can't take a leak in front of thousands of spectators, officer, I'm in a marathon!

Another rant! Runners who wear skintight spandex outfits despite being A) male or B) severely overweight and especially C) both A and B.