Tapatalk stole my money

Complain or gush all you like - this is the place to do it.
Sir Spankspeople
Crazy Person

Tapatalk stole my money

Post by Sir Spankspeople » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:03 am

So I have a BlackBerry 10 device. Two, actually. I've got a Z10 and a Q10. I think they're wonderful little things, BB10 is probably my favourite mobile OS to date. One nice thing BB10 does is that it includes the AOSP Android runtime. This means that if developers are feeling exceptionally lazy, all they need to do is submit their Android app to BlackBerry World and have it ported over. BB10.2, released a few weeks ago, brings the Android 4.2.2 runtime as well as a lot of streamlining as far as performance goes. Every Android app I'm using on the phone, including ones that I've sideloaded myself(even apps like Instagram, which go out of their way to make sure they're not able to run on such a device) work pretty much flawlessly. Just as smooth as a native BB10 app, which if you've ever used the OS before, you'll know is as smooth as you can get.

So in July I grabbed Tapatalk 2 from BlackBerry World. Just an Android port, but it worked fine. Cost me somewhere around $3, but I guess it was worth it? I'd been running a leaked version of the 10.2 OS, so I had the 4.2.2 Android runtime months ago, and Tapatalk 2 worked really well on my phone. Aside from a slightly different loading animation, and the text selection being the wonky Android text selection, I could barely tell it wasn't done natively for BB10.

So I guess at one point they were going to put Tapatalk 4 on BBWorld, so they took Tapatalk 2 down. Then decided not to bother porting Tapatalk 4. They even removed the BlackBerry sections on their website.

So now I'm down $3 with nothing to show for it. I could purchase it again on Android, and convert the APK to a BAR file myself, but that seems like an awful lot of effort, and I'm mostly just annoyed at how they've just run off with so many people's money.

So, yeah, basically just really annoyed at the Tapatalk folks.
Inflammatory signatures hurt us all...

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Re: Tapatalk stole my money

Post by Deacon » Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:28 pm

Wow, your mobile OS is so screwed up that if they cease selling an app it removes it from your phone?
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

Sir Spankspeople
Crazy Person

Post by Sir Spankspeople » Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:52 am

Deacon wrote:Wow, your mobile OS is so screwed up that if they cease selling an app it removes it from your phone?
No, but I've recently switch from a Z10 to a Q10 and transferring the app from one to the other would be fairly involved.

(it literally wouldn't: I can just grab the .BAR file from one and put it on the other, but it's the principle of the thing more than how much trouble it is for me)

And actually it would automatically install it if I restored the backup from my Z on my Q. Again: principle.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:17 pm

I guess I'm not sure I understand what the problem is or how you can characterize it as Tapatalk having stolen money from you. They did nothing to stop you from using the software. They apparently decided that supporting the BlackBerry world wasn't worth it and gave up offering it. If you're running around with cracked/pirated phone OSes and moving from phone to phone, you can't expect that Tapatalk will make sure you get to use that $2.99 app forever on any platform without any effort on your part.
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

Sir Spankspeople
Crazy Person

Post by Sir Spankspeople » Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:05 am

Also my favourite Indian place in the UK was bought, renovated, renamed, and switched to a much cheaper (out of cans mostly rather than homemade) menu back in November and I didn't even know. My wife hasn't had the heart to tell me and I only found out today 'cause I was seriously craving their korma, the best I've ever had.

Basically the worst day ever.

(although I also learned today that there's a place in Texas called Korma Sutra, which cheered me up significantly)

Rorschach
Crazy Person

Post by Rorschach » Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:17 pm

Sir Spankspeople wrote:Also my favourite Indian place in the UK was bought, renovated, renamed, and switched to a much cheaper (out of cans mostly rather than homemade)
Really? That's dreadful. Even a poor Indian is normally miles better than a poor Chinese and although they famously use packets and powders, they don't tend to stoop to cans.

Ayr India. That's your baby. Although it's probably not that handy for you.
To Let