Namesakes emails

Complain or gush all you like - this is the place to do it.
Deacon
Shining Adonis

Re: Namesakes emails

Post by Deacon » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:39 pm

By the way, the best part is all the follow-up emails, typically with one of the following goals: a) admonish me for not having logged in with my great new account, b) ask for feedback regarding how I like whatever they offer, or c) keep themselves "top of mind" for me by continually bombarding me with emails.
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

The Cid
Redshirt

Post by The Cid » Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:47 pm

I don't get these mistaken identity e-mails, despite having a really generic name. I think it's because I place a verb in front of my name, so that when you read the e-mail address out loud it becomes a complete sentence.

However, I have gotten calls since I got my phone number in 2002 for Raj, who either had my number before I did or gives it out as a fake number to people. I still get calls for Raj eleven years in, occasionally from the Philadelphia Eagles. The best part is how often the person who called calls me right back thinking that they simply dialed wrong.
Hirschof wrote:I'm waiting for day you people start thinking with portals.

sneaky ninja
Chun Li!
Chun Li!

Post by sneaky ninja » Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:07 pm

Oh snap, the plot thickens. Soheila has sent out a follow-up email calling out the original sender, Annie, telling her to not make the appointments because SHE is handling it all. In your face, Annie. And Taara may not be able to make it, because she has an exam that day.

I'm tempted to send a mass response calling out Soheila because I really think that if she wanted to be in charge so badly, that she could have handled the situation with much more tact. Now I don't know her from a hole in the wall, but from this one brief e-mail, I conclude that she is a controlling bitch.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:52 am

I'm for it. See what they say.
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

ampersand
Redshirt

Post by ampersand » Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:41 pm

I do have an email address created from my own website, but otherwise, I'll go with either the code combination given to me by my first email address from college or something involving my first name and then the formal name of a punctuation, such as ampersand or anaphora (@). I do recall dealing with an email whose email address involved all letters of the alphabet and then a "fuck you" afterwards. And Harvard let her keep it.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:11 pm

Apparently somebody loaded up either one card with like 15 instances of $50 each or 15 different cards.

Thank you for placing your order online at Starbucks.com. The following message provides information regarding your order.

Values listed are in USD.

Order Number: X297D95R95HF5E7BE945BB19X7
Received: Saturday, September 21, 2013

Billing Address:
Richard Deacon
23815 Knickerbocker Rd
Bay Village, OH 44140-2812

ampersand
Redshirt

Post by ampersand » Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:34 pm

So you know where to sent that pumpkin spice latte bill for everyone at your Starbucks.

Doc Giggles
Redshirt

Post by Doc Giggles » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:16 am

I have one email address that I've had for 8 years that a dentist decided he wanted to use. After printing up business cards, fliers, billboards, and hung a large banner on his building, he was shocked to find that someone else already had that email when he tried to get it. That's right, he did all that before he even had the email address. So far he has demanded I give it to him, threated legal action, begged, and even tried to buy it (for a whole $25.) I have a common name. It's really hard for me to get my namesake email from anywhere. Like I'm going to give it up because this guy was too stupid to see if it was free before he told the world that it was his.

Replying to the emails is kind of fun. I make it clear that they are not talking to the dentist and that they should call him rather than email me. One lady still hasn't gotten the clue. Her emails are getting madder and madder that her requested appointments are not getting booked.
Disciple of Gnarr
“Let there be truth, happiness, and waffles”
-Nomad, Dark Lord & Avatar of Gnarr

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:26 pm

Doc Giggles wrote:I have a common name.
Dr. Giggles is really that common?

Rorschach
The Immoral Immortal

Post by Rorschach » Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:00 pm

Can you imagine if your name really was 'John Smith'?

Police would think you were taking the piss. And hotel clerks would assume that your wife was a prostitute.
To Let

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:35 pm

"Excuse me, sir. I need to speak with you."
"Yes, officer, how can I help?"
"OK, first, what's your name?"
"John Doe."
"Smartass, huh? OK, we can do this the hard way if you want."
"No, sir, my name really is John Doe!"
(into mic on shoulder as the other hand pulls out a billy club) "This is unit 319. I'm going to need backup."

Doc Giggles
Redshirt

Post by Doc Giggles » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:52 pm

Deacon wrote:
Doc Giggles wrote:I have a common name.
Dr. Giggles is really that common?
I was talking about the one based on my name. You would be surprised by the number of times people have wanted my Doc Giggles email address though. It's odd enough that you wouldn't think people would ask for them.
Disciple of Gnarr
“Let there be truth, happiness, and waffles”
-Nomad, Dark Lord & Avatar of Gnarr

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:18 pm

TO: RACHEL@omnix.cmh.co.za (and me)
SUBJECT: FIRST CAR RENTAL 42134374 DEACON RE MISS 1813467
BODY: NOTE: The disclaimers at www.cmh.co.za/email.aspx apply to this email and any attachments.
If you cannot access the disclaimer, kindly send an email to netadmin@cmh.co.za and a copy will be provided to you.

ATTACHMENT: Invoice_42134374.pdf

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:56 pm

Looks like someone signed me up for "The Finnish Line" newsletter. In case anyone was wondering, Finland's finest musicians are the focus of this year's London International Festival of Exploratory Music (LIFEM) at Kings Place. The four-day genre-busting explosion of Finnish fire power takes in traditional, fusion and contemporary folk, folk-rock, progressive jazz, acid jazz, avant-garde jazz, electronic and much more.

thejerseyminx
Redshirt

Post by thejerseyminx » Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:46 am

I love this thread.
Lord, what FOOLS these mortals be! - Puck
What a tangled web we weave when we practice to deceive.

I sold my soul to Rock 'n' Roll, can I have yours?
My Wish List
Alannah's Wish List