I miss the early days of the internet...

Complain or gush all you like - this is the place to do it.
Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:29 am

I came online with CompuServe. I don't recall any BBSes, but then again in '92 we'd moved to Guatemala, so...yeah.
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

sneaky ninja
Chun Li!
Chun Li!

Re: I miss the early days of the internet...

Post by sneaky ninja » Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:13 pm

I don't know what some of that means, but I had a Hotmail address when it was still its own company. Though I want to say that wasn't until '98 or '99.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:23 am

HA! I remember that. I want to say I did, too, but I'm not 100% that I did. I may have just been aware and considering it? There were a number of free email services back then, but you had to find them and compare them. Most had a paid option. It's amazing how some business models simply get overrun and left behind in the dirt--after just a few years, too!
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

Healer24
Crazy Person

Post by Healer24 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:39 pm

Had? I still have my hotmail account as my main email address.
"He was a genius - that is to say, a man who does superlatively and without obvious effort something that most people cannot do by the uttermost exertion of their abilities." - Robertson Davies

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:41 pm

I still have mine, though it's forwarded to my Gmail address. I only really "use" it for logging into Microsoft sites like MSDN and such.

BtEO
Crazy Person

Post by BtEO » Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:46 pm

I actually found the link to register for (what was then) an MSN account using an arbitrary email address; they used to hide it really deep so people would think they had to sign-up to Hotmail at the same time. As a result my Microsoft account uses a Yahoo! email address.

Fun fact, my school blocked access to Yahoo! email. They did not block Hotmail. Bastards.

Rorschach
Crazy Person

Post by Rorschach » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:28 am

I've had my hotmail.com account as my main account for as long as I can remember. I can't begin to tell you about the amount of spam I get to it.

Would I be right in saying that you can no longer register a hotmail.com account? That part of the internet is now full?
To Let

Healer24
Crazy Person

Post by Healer24 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:58 pm

I got a notice a while back. It was something about hotmail being retired and that I could keep my account but everything was going to be moved and I think no new hotmail accounts were being allowed.

Also, ridiculous amounts of spam was a common complaint about hotmail, but I apparently won the lottery because I've gotten hardly any in over a decade of having the account.
"He was a genius - that is to say, a man who does superlatively and without obvious effort something that most people cannot do by the uttermost exertion of their abilities." - Robertson Davies

sneaky ninja
Chun Li!
Chun Li!

Post by sneaky ninja » Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:52 pm

Healer24 wrote:Had? I still have my hotmail account as my main email address.
cool_canadian13 never made it past high school.

Rorschach
Crazy Person

Post by Rorschach » Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:52 pm

sneaky ninja wrote: cool_canadian
Oxymoron much? :D

/flee
To Let

sneaky ninja
Chun Li!
Chun Li!

Post by sneaky ninja » Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:11 pm

Hey, it is COLD here! :P

Martin Blank
Knower of Things
Knower of Things
Omnicode: sxy cm163 kg76 eso.#_glasses sp= Ag1974.October anE hdd Zot RlM Kd1y PeC&C FHb IN14 PrPython(3)^(7)&C(2)^(5)&C++(2)^(7)&JavaScript(2)^(5)&Ruby(1)^(5)&PHP(2)^(5) GM-6DN LAEN(9)&ES(2)^(6)&EO(1)^(7) Crc(6).Security MvD BA! PlM

Post by Martin Blank » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:39 pm

Had Hotmail in the pre-Microsoft days, and still have it, though I rarely check it. I do like where they're going with it, though. It's finally garnered some attention from the right people to grow into something useful, even if it's under the outlook.com name.

Fun fact: Microsoft kept running Hotmail on Unix boxes (I think some form of BSD) for years because they couldn't come up with that would run efficiently on Windows without requiring many more servers than the division could afford.
If I show up at your door, chances are you did something to bring me there.

FirebirdNC
Mad Hatteras

Post by FirebirdNC » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:11 am

My hotmail is my main email account. My user is fireb28 which at the time I created the account was my age. I am now 41 so yeah I stick with what I know. I often think of an email address I had with my first computer with dial up. It was a local company but my email was jen@1bigred.com it was clearly in the VERY early days lol.
~Insert clever bon mot here~

NorthernComfort
Crazy Person

Post by NorthernComfort » Wed May 28, 2014 4:07 am

This thread made me feel slightly old. I mostly miss the difference between identity and avatars which is mostly erased at this point. I got started around 97.
"I guess I have a gift for expressing pedestrian tastes. In a way, it's kind of depressing." -Bill Watterson

NickGXZ
Crazy Person

Post by NickGXZ » Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:22 am

Good lord, its been ages since I've been to this board, and there's a discussion going on relevant to what I was thinking about.

I remember getting online back in 1998 with a 14.4k modem through MSN. And the off again on again relationship my folks had with the internet (There were dark times where I had to resort to using Netzero).

I don't terribly miss the old UBB board system though. I do miss Lycos 50 boards. First message board I ever joined was the Lycos 50 DBZ board when I was 15.

And then I looked at my joined date. I joined this fraggin board just before I graduated high school...
"The effort you put forth to anything transcends yourself, for there is no futility even in death." - Monty Oum

"By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest." - Confucius

"Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned." - Buddha