Do you WANT engineering graduates?

Complain or gush all you like - this is the place to do it.
spikegirl7
Crazy Person

Post by spikegirl7 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:30 pm

Back in November registration for classes opened and I met with an advisor. "You need relevant electives," said the professor. "Are you interested in alternative energy engineering?"
"No," say I, "Civil engineering for me. What about Chemistry 2?"
"Are you sure?" asked the advisor. "You're taking physics next semester. Those classes both have labs, so you'd have 16 hours. Are you sure you can do it?"
"Sure."
"Chem 2 has twice as many labs as Chem 1."
"I need to take it."

And so it began. Four labs a week. Classes from 8am to 2pm each day. I'm convinced Physics 1 is intended to weed out people who have no business being engineers. And Chem 2 was... let us not speak of that. I'm done with Chemistry forever. I nearly threw myself into stress vomiting over those damn classes.
'What is morality?'
'Judgment to distinguish right and wrong, vision to see the truth, courage to act upon it, dedication to that which is good, integrity to stand by the good at any price.'

ampersand
Crazy Person

Re: Do you WANT engineering graduates?

Post by ampersand » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:04 pm

To a certain degree the physics and chemistry classes are there to separate the serious students from the non-serious students. Every degree has that sort of class or set of classes.

But there's also a need for those kind of basic classes for your degree as well. It may not be as obvious to you know, but I know my brother will use some of it in his electrical engineering degree. I had to take chemistry and physics for my meteorology degree, and they have their places.

It's part of the American system, where they assume in order for you to know what you need to know in engineering, you need to know the underlying physics, mathematics, and chemistry behind your civil engineering. It's the same thing for many of the natural sciences as well.

I am also seeing where some of the non-science classes have become important in ways that is not usually thought of in many of your degree programs. Poor communication during some of the tornado events in Oklahoma in the last couple of weeks may have indirectly led to deaths that should not have happened.

I'm glad to see you've passed these classes.

spikegirl7
Crazy Person

Post by spikegirl7 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:47 pm

I never said I DON'T need them. Indeed, especially with the physics I can see the application. My Calculus teacher has us do applications of it all the time. What got me was the speed and intensity with which those courses worked. At the end of the semester, for example, we had three chapters on rotational motion, inertia, torque, and all that rot. For this it was determined that two hours of lecture was sufficient to explain this. The rest had to be learned in one week on our own because the final would have a good chunk from that section. This had to be done WHILE refreshing the rest of my knowledge for the final.

Thankfully Oklahoma State University says that I"m in good shape for transfer in January. So just get through programming and Physics 2 and I'm done. Then it's off to OSU for statics and REAL engineering. Like seminars in concrete, steel, and design. Plus the requirements for professional school only look at my grades in relevant courses so I'm looking GOOD.
'What is morality?'
'Judgment to distinguish right and wrong, vision to see the truth, courage to act upon it, dedication to that which is good, integrity to stand by the good at any price.'

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:19 pm

You're going to be a cowboy?
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

spikegirl7
Crazy Person

Post by spikegirl7 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:23 pm

Yup. Giddyup.
'What is morality?'

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:42 pm

Boo!

As someone with a casual allegiance to UT and mostly A&M, I boo you :)
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

spikegirl7
Crazy Person

Post by spikegirl7 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:37 pm

At least we can all wear our stylish orange hoodies together.
'What is morality?'

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:18 am

Your orange is a different orange and therefore the wrong orange.

ampersand
Crazy Person

Post by ampersand » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:49 am

At least you're not a beaver, Spikegirl.

spikegirl7
Crazy Person

Post by spikegirl7 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:15 am

Orange is orange. It's the same color, it's a mixture of red and yellow.
At least you're not a beaver, Spikegirl.
I think I should say nothing on this.
'What is morality?'

ampersand
Crazy Person

Post by ampersand » Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:55 am

Beaver as in the mascot of Oregon State University. They also use Orange.