Porpoise? Purpose? Propose!

Complain or gush all you like - this is the place to do it.
Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:18 am

Some of the ignorant mistakes we make are forgivable. Like occasionally typing "then" rather than "than" such as, "I'd rather be here then there." When it happens every time it's a problem. Otherwise we can all be forgiven the occasional slip up. However, this was a real conversation on Facebook I just saw, and it hurt my heart, not due to the content but the embarrassingly low level of literacy among today's adults (aged 20 and 24, respectively.

Chick 1: "I just cried when javi purposed I want a maaan."

Chick 2: "Lmao Gavin and I were watching and when he purposed I was like waaaaah!!!! I wunna get married!!!"
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

Rorschach
Crazy Person

Re: Porpoise? Purpose? Propose!

Post by Rorschach » Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:37 pm

It's the thin end of the wedge.

No. Scratch that. It's what comes after the thin end of the wedge. The fat end of the wedge, presumably.

While no one of us is prefect, the early days of the internet seemed to be much fussier about accurate spelling. People actually bothered to read what they had written before sending it off into the web. Standards have gradually declined to the point where there is now a generation of young people twitting and trending without any regard for what they're actually typing and those of us who yearn for some kind of respect for the language are viewed as bookish oddballs or nerdy virgins.

I blame Justin Bieber. I'll bet you sales of Anne Frank's diary now skyrocket, but they plummet just as quickly when their potential readership find out the book features no vampires. LOL she got like jakked by that Hittler dude.
To Let

sneaky ninja
Chun Li!
Chun Li!

Post by sneaky ninja » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:35 pm

Hmmm, I read the title and thought you had some exciting news for us :P

I am so over idiotic spelling and grammar. I try to live by example, but you can't save everyone, you know?

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:25 pm

Oh, that reminds me. I'm engaged to a dolphin.
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

sneaky ninja
Chun Li!
Chun Li!

Post by sneaky ninja » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:42 pm

I dunno, in my head I made the association like "Oh, maybe he proposed to someone! Maybe he did it at the aquarium! Yay!"

You never know :P

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:54 pm

I'll keep that one in my back pocket.

FOR ME TO SIT ON!

Dreamer
Crazy Person

Post by Dreamer » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:12 pm

I thought there was news, too. Haha.

But Rors is so right. . .Is it a rebellion agains the grammar nazis of old? I'm not young, really. Not any more. I'm 36. I used to chat on bulletin boards we dialed up with our 1200 baud modems. Local BBS's. Back when one was already disposing of their fap nap before an image was even done loading.

We cared about grammar back then. I played All the Sierra games. Meh, almost. That did more than just teach me to type without my pinkies.

I didnt' really pay attention, the transition was so gradual.

And I'm willing to blam Bieber, too. I mean, it's on my way.
My sig would have contained the secret of life, but I'd already clicked submit.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:44 pm

oic wut u did ther

Sophira
Jezzy's Belle

Post by Sophira » Fri May 24, 2013 12:15 am

Deacon wrote:Chick 1: "I just cried when javi purposed I want a maaan."

Chick 2: "Lmao Gavin and I were watching and when he purposed I was like waaaaah!!!! I wunna get married!!!"
There is so, so, so very much more wrong here than bad grammar.
<Arc_Orion> And I give rides to dudes!
<kaiju01> Yeah, I'm kind of a dick.
<Hirschof>Long from now, when the Earth is charred and barren, the only things left on the surface will be cockroaches and the continuous bickering between Fuggle and Deacon. :)
<Deacon> I'm not, however, played by a homosexual child star.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Fri May 24, 2013 1:57 am

Well, yeah, that's what gives it that extra shove over the hump into terrible greatness.