Springtime in Ottawa. The worst Springtime.

Complain or gush all you like - this is the place to do it.
Sir Spankspeople
Crazy Person

Post by Sir Spankspeople » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:56 pm

Two days ago it was a nice balmy 15°C(that is... 59°F, apparently) outside. T-shirt weather. I threw open the windows to air out the apartment, and walked around without a coat on. It was wonderful. It was so nice, in fact, that they city decided to call for the street sweepers to remove all the dirt/gravel/sand/salt that had built up on the sidewalks and streets over the Winter. Spring is finally here.

Tomorrow the forecast is calling for -3°C, and ~20cm of snow.

So that means more salt and gravel and sand going down, and no early trips to the beach.

And this is what Spring is normally like here. I'm not sure what the city was expecting, when they decided to send out the street sweepers.

We should be back up to 10°C by Monday.
Inflammatory signatures hurt us all...

Sir Spankspeople
Crazy Person

Re: Springtime in Ottawa. The worst Springtime.

Post by Sir Spankspeople » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:58 pm

For reference: When dealing with Celcius, 0°C is the temperature at which water freezes. Anything below 0 is cold, and we'll have snow. Anything above 0 is warm, and we'll have rain. Between -2°C and 2°C we may have both.

I just didn't feel like translating the temperature every time I mentioned it, and this is just an easier way to look at it.

Jezebel
Soapy's Choice

Post by Jezebel » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:11 pm

We are having a highly unusual cold snap this week. Yesterday it didn't even get to 50F. Usually by now we're hitting 80 so this is super annoying.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:18 pm

Sir Spankspeople wrote:I threw open the windows to air out the apartment ... the city decided to call for the street sweepers
So how much of that dust, dirt, sand, salt, and gravel made it into your apartment?
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

sneaky ninja
Chun Li!
Chun Li!

Post by sneaky ninja » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:38 pm

At least you get seasons, man. You know what season it is here? Rain.

ampersand
Crazy Person

Post by ampersand » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:50 pm

And that one day there's sunshine, it's like a national holiday in Vancouver. Although if the Canadian Environment long-range forecast is correct, you're expected to have a warmer and drier than normal spring. So maybe less rain?

I have to admit, I really love the semi-perpetual rain. I just don't want perpetual snow. You can keep that away from here.

sneaky ninja
Chun Li!
Chun Li!

Post by sneaky ninja » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:58 pm

You're right. It was downpouring yesterday morning and I huffed into the office proclaiming that I was never, ever going outside ever again. Later in the afternoon, the sun came out and I completely forgot about our prior 300 days of rain.

The sun is out again today and being indoors makes me feel like I'm in prison. I'm glad you like the blah weather. I know quite a few locals who prefer it, but me....I need to be where it is hot and dry and glorious. Can't complain about the scenery here, though. Looks like Eden :)

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:20 pm

Yesterday it was about 75F (23.5C) at about 6:00 in the morning, dropped to about 48F (8.5C) around 9:00, then crawled slowly back up to a sunny 63F (17.5C) in the afternoon. Nobody working an early shift was prepared for what hit them when they left for lunch...

I tell you what, the main thing I dislike about Celsius is how vague it is, measuring a great distance of temperatures with only 100 total units. Meters are larger than feet, but at least you have millimeters and centimeters, and people don't even measure things in meters until they get larger (a person's height is measured in centimeters most of the time, it seems like). With grams you have kilograms and so forth. With Celsius it's just a big, broad range, where individual numbers seem to mean less, as though you were to round off Fahrenheit to the nearest number divisible by 5. It doesn't leave as much room for nuance and tiny exaggeration.
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

Jezebel
Soapy's Choice

Post by Jezebel » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:07 pm

I watch the weather very carefully, checking it usually in the morning when I wake up, before I leave work, and right before bed. This may seem excessive but since I walk to work and take the bus other places, it's pretty important that I know what kind of weather to expect!

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:18 pm

Ha! Double post!

Yeah I'm in the habit as well, especially this time of year when it can change continually. Yesterday with the wild temperature swings I checked it before sleep about 1AM and it was completely different when I checked it around 8. As in it was like I was checking a different location entirely.

The Cid
Crazy Person

Post by The Cid » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:25 pm

Around where I live, I can expect that we will have relatively good weather for four months out of the year: April, May, September, and October. The Summer is often nice, but not guaranteed. A few years ago we hardly had a summer at all. But mid-to-late Spring and most of the Fall are great here, so I'm going to enjoy what I have before it ends and I have to dig my car out again in a few months.
Hirschof wrote:I'm waiting for day you people start thinking with portals.

Sophira
Jezzy's Belle

Post by Sophira » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:31 am

I hate tree sex season.

*blows nose*
<Arc_Orion> And I give rides to dudes!
<kaiju01> Yeah, I'm kind of a dick.
<Hirschof>Long from now, when the Earth is charred and barren, the only things left on the surface will be cockroaches and the continuous bickering between Fuggle and Deacon. :)
<Deacon> I'm not, however, played by a homosexual child star.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:14 am

I know, right? It's terrible! I have to wash my truck more often. It's impossible to have a worse problem, so I appreciate your empathy, but don't cry!

Sir Spankspeople
Crazy Person

Post by Sir Spankspeople » Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:30 pm

Deacon wrote:I tell you what, the main thing I dislike about Celsius is how vague it is, measuring a great distance of temperatures with only 100 total units.
The only thing I'm really interested in most days is "snow or rain", which I can tell by looking for a - in front of the number.

Anything above 10 is sandal weather, and again that's a nice number.

Anything below -10 and I might consider putting on a scarf and long underwear, along with my coat and shitty gloves.
(I always wear a hat, so weather doesn't matter much for that)

Above 20 we're around room temperature, at -20 my phone doesn't work outside.

At 40 we're above body temperature and worrying about heat-stroke, and at -40 we're at "skin freezes in open air" temperature. We have to deal with both fairly regularly here in Ottawa.

At 100 we're in a pot of boiling water, and it's ready for noodles to be added.

ampersand
Crazy Person

Post by ampersand » Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:47 pm

Because a degree in Celsius is wider than a degree in Fahrenheit, I envy the rest of the world since their weather forecast have a slightly wider degree of failure. At 200°C, it's a good temperature to put that roast in the oven, right?

Currently in Portland, it's 7°C. No wonder it's chilly.