Spiders

Complain or gush all you like - this is the place to do it.
JermCool
Redshirt

Re: Spiders

Post by JermCool » Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:36 pm

Aww... And here I was hoping to invade.
Insert Banner Here
"The internet is bullcrap! And everyone on it is retarded!" - Muspar
"All threads should degenerate into the bumming of JermCool." - Rorschach

The Cid
Redshirt

Post by The Cid » Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:04 am

Rorschach wrote:I've bought a spider catcher, which is like a little box on the end of a stick in which I can trap spiders and release them out of a window at a mere arm's length.
You know that if you let them go they're just going to find a way back in to get at you. Maybe if you're releasing them into a furnace, that would work.
Hirschof wrote:I'm waiting for day you people start thinking with portals.

Rorschach
The Immoral Immortal

Post by Rorschach » Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:45 am

The Cid wrote:You know that if you let them go they're just going to find a way back in to get at you. Maybe if you're releasing them into a furnace, that would work.
Possibly. I like to think that they're going to go and tell the giant spiders that I'm one of the good guys, and they've not to leap onto my back and wrap their legs around me whilst their plump, hairy abdomens pulse grotesquely, laying thousands of baby spiders under my skin.
Or that they go to the woman downstairs.
To Let

JermCool
Redshirt

Post by JermCool » Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:48 pm

Rorschach wrote:...they've not to leap onto my back and wrap their legs around me whilst their plump, hairy abdomens pulse grotesquely, laying thousands of baby spiders under my skin.
I am so turned on right now...
Insert Banner Here
"The internet is bullcrap! And everyone on it is retarded!" - Muspar
"All threads should degenerate into the bumming of JermCool." - Rorschach

ben77
Redshirt

Post by ben77 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:34 pm

A little tip for any fellow arachnophobes plagued by house spiders:

I used to own a pub and the cellar was full of things called cellar spiders (Pholcus phalangioides is the scientific name I believe)

Now, I would call my self a serious arachnophobic (Can't be in same room as even a fairly small one) but these things don't bother me. They are very un-spider like; Tiny, almost transluscent bodies and long thin legs. More like harvestmen/crane flies.

What does this have to do with helping arachnophobes you ask? Well, these cellar spiders are seriously hardcore, they will kick the crap out of the biggest house spiders, even Tegenaria duellica, more commonly known as the Giant House Spider (those bathtub and garage loving, nightmare inducing dirty brown ones with the huge fangs). As it is a similar beast, I assume they would fair as well against the American Hobo spider, but can't say for sure being a Brit.

Seriosuly, they prey on them as ridiculous as the size and build difference makes that sound. They use their long legs and webs to keep the prey at range and strike with a potent venomous bite (they kind of 'bounce' on their legs). I have observed this and it is amazing!

Whilst I had the pub, I was never bothered by any house spiders, they never made it past the cellar! :)

So find a friend or acquaintance with a pub/bar or anyone who has a damp cool cellar and collect some of these guys to re-home to your place. They are an arachnophobes best friend!

One at the pub even seemed to enjoy the odd cider as it made it's web opposite the dry blackthorn float outlet and regularly got sprayed with the good stuff to no ill effect! I didn't begrudge him it as he earned his keep! :)

If you can't deal with these cellar spiders or can't get any then I find those spider stop sprays work well. I always thought the horse chestnut thing was an old wives tale but I use it regularly around all windows, doors and usual spider hang-outs and get very few unwelcome visitors.

Rorschach
The Immoral Immortal

Post by Rorschach » Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:09 am

He's in league with them! Burn the spiderwitch!

That was a tremendously interesting post. Thank-you. I don't think I'm going to be readily able to get my hands on the miniture protectors you're talking about, but it's good to know that the horrid ones are getting theirs from someone.

[edit]I wiki'd your spider, to see how repulsive it was. It's acually alright. Anyway, wiki gives us:
They are considered beneficial in some parts of the world because they kill and eat other spiders, including species that are venomous to humans such as hobo and redback spiders.
Truly, Mother Nature is a wonder. So often she gives us a problem and then provides the solution right next to it. Like wiping your arse on dock leaves.
To Let

FireAza
Redshirt

Post by FireAza » Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:37 am

ben77 wrote:American Hobo spider
Am I the only one imagining a spider with a tiny busted top hat and a tiny rucksack on a stick hopping from train to train?
"For AUS$300, you get FireAza drawing your screen image." -MartinBlank "Oh shit. For once, FireAza is right." -Deacon
"FireAza, if you're really that sneaky and quiet then you can sleep in my bed anytime, mister." -kizba

Arres
Redshirt

Post by Arres » Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:15 pm

Nope! and he's ADORABLE
Sheldon wrote:For the record, I am waaaay an adult. Like, super-way.
The Ponynati said:You cannot escape us. You cannot stop us. Soon all the world will bow down to the power of ponies.
The Cid wrote:...the text message is the preferred method of communication for prepubescent girls. Bunch of grown men sending digital paper airplanes to each other. Give me a break.

The Cid
Redshirt

Post by The Cid » Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:05 pm

Hirschof wrote:I'm waiting for day you people start thinking with portals.

Rorschach
The Immoral Immortal

Post by Rorschach » Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:22 am

FireAza wrote:
ben77 wrote:American Hobo spider
Am I the only one imagining a spider with a tiny busted top hat and a tiny rucksack on a stick hopping from train to train?
I'm imagining a spider in an eight-armed vest top, throwing a hissy fit about the amout of calories in the fly he's going to eat anyway.
I dunno, maybe I've misread.
To Let

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Spiders

Post by Deacon » Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:09 pm

LET HIM PLAY YOU THE SONG OF HIS PEOPLE
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

Rorschach
The Immoral Immortal

Post by Rorschach » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:12 am

My nephew was at Amazonia yesterday and held a tarantula.

Kid's two and already has a bigger cock than me.
To Let

ben777
Redshirt

Post by ben777 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:40 pm

First up, sorry to necro this thread.

Just wanted to say thanks to Rorschach for his comment on my comment.

Also FireAza: Yeah i though the name was cute too...until I looked it up. Jesus, that thing is a nightmare. You being an Aussie I doubt it would worry you, but to people who dont live in a country full of nightmare creatures it's pretty scary. :lol:

Looks a bit like a chuncky version of UK house spider. Only problem is this guy hasnt heard the old saying "Its more scared of you than you are of it" Serioulsy aggresive little bugger, apparently will actively attack humans. It's scientific name; Tegenaria agresti actually means "Aggressive little Fucker" (I may have made that up)

Google images of hobo spider bites to see just how this eight legged dick likes to ruin your shit. I like to imagine it runs off sniggering afterwards!

FireAza
Redshirt

Post by FireAza » Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:18 am

ben777 wrote:Also FireAza: Yeah i though the name was cute too...until I looked it up. Jesus, that thing is a nightmare. You being an Aussie I doubt it would worry you, but to people who dont live in a country full of nightmare creatures it's pretty scary. :lol:
*looks up a photo of the spider*
Meh, I've seen bigger and more venomous.
"For AUS$300, you get FireAza drawing your screen image." -MartinBlank "Oh shit. For once, FireAza is right." -Deacon
"FireAza, if you're really that sneaky and quiet then you can sleep in my bed anytime, mister." -kizba

spikegirl7
Redshirt

Post by spikegirl7 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:35 pm

try opening up your crawl space and seeing this:

damn near had a heart attack
'What is morality?'
'Judgment to distinguish right and wrong, vision to see the truth, courage to act upon it, dedication to that which is good, integrity to stand by the good at any price.'