The Rave About Unintentionally Hilarious Things Thread!

Complain or gush all you like - this is the place to do it.
wocket
Crazy Person

The Rave About Unintentionally Hilarious Things Thread!

Post by wocket » Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:20 pm

Today in third period, we were watching the movie The English Patient (sooo much hate. And it's not like the book at all!)

Anyway, it comes to one of the nude scenes (for those who have seen the movie, the bathtub scene). Our teacher decides that instead of turning off the screen or fast forwarding, she'll just hold a magazine up in front of the ladybits.
The headline on said magazine? "Heaven on Earth". The 20-odd 17 and 18 year olds in the room? Giggling like maniacs.

Now tell us about yourunintentionally hilarious moments! Go!
Buy some Cute Stuff and support this woman.

Blaze
Crazy Person

Post by Blaze » Tue Jun 06, 2006 3:58 am

I don't have any right now... but shouldn't he just have been able to tell the class that anyone who was uncomfortable with a little nudity to skedadle?

StruckingFuggle
Crazy Person

Post by StruckingFuggle » Tue Jun 06, 2006 4:00 am

The problem is, it'd technically be breaking the someone's rules by showing OMFGWTFPR0N to minors without parental consent. At least the school district, but there's probably a law, too.
"He who lives by the sword dies by my arrow."

"In your histories, there are continual justifications for all manner of hellish actions. Claims of nobility and heritage and honor to cover up every bit of genocide, assassination, and massacre. At least the Horde is honest in their naked lust for power."

Blaze
Crazy Person

Post by Blaze » Tue Jun 06, 2006 4:01 am

I had teachers show films with a little nudity, and there was no problem with it. Odd.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Tue Jun 06, 2006 4:57 am

Yeah, Fuggle, from whence do you make that assertion? Obviously, showing a movie in Freshman homeroom that starts with "Debbie Does" is probably going to get you fired and arrested, but a widely acclaimed theatrical release that does feature brief nudity? Not even a blip on all but the rarest of radars.
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

StruckingFuggle
Crazy Person

Post by StruckingFuggle » Tue Jun 06, 2006 5:04 am

I dunno.

I remember it being an issue when I was in highschool.

Granted, Westlake was a very strange and stupid place ...
"He who lives by the sword dies by my arrow."

"In your histories, there are continual justifications for all manner of hellish actions. Claims of nobility and heritage and honor to cover up every bit of genocide, assassination, and massacre. At least the Horde is honest in their naked lust for power."

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Tue Jun 06, 2006 5:06 am

Dude, even in the (Protestant) Christian Missionary School I ended up attending for two years in Guatemala City, we watched movies like Silence of the Lambs in 8th and 9th grade.
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

Koeniou
Crazy Person

Post by Koeniou » Tue Jun 06, 2006 5:43 am

In my school, a non-denomination Christian School, my English teacher had to fast forward the nude scenes in Bladerunner & Gattaca. She also had a shelf behind the counter of the library for her Senior students. You had to get special permission for each separate book you borrowed. And still some of the passages were whited-out. In particular, one whole scene from 'Equus', and a passage from 'Miss Smilla's Feeling for Snow'.

Anyway, on topic......unintentionally hilarious things?

Lovisa saying 'lunching'-
"Are you going lunching with Paul today after History?"
"Lunching isn't really a verb Lovisa"
She thought she was getting it right. So cute. We then had a good laugh about it.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Tue Jun 06, 2006 5:52 am

[quote="Koeniou";p="641456"]"Are you going lunching with Paul today after History?"
"Lunching isn't really a verb Lovisa"
She thought she was getting it right. So cute. We then had a good laugh about it.[/quote]
:|

It IS a real verb. Please apologize to this poor girl. Next thing you know we won't be able to "dine" with someone for dinner, either.

Koeniou
Crazy Person

Post by Koeniou » Tue Jun 06, 2006 5:54 am

'lunching' Deacon, not Lunch.

And according to the OED, it may be a verb, but not one that has been in common usage since the 1960s- hence it not *really* being a verb. She's trying to use normal, everyday English, not stuff that when she uses people will go "hmmmm, that doesn't sound right".

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Tue Jun 06, 2006 6:01 am

lunch (lŭnch)

intr.v., lunched, lunch·ing, lunch·es.

To eat a midday meal.

WordNet

The verb lunch has 2 meanings:

Meaning #1: take the midday meal

Meaning #2: provide a midday meal for
Come on, now. While it may be more common around here for someone to say, "Hey, man, where you gonna eat at?" it doesn't mean it's not really a verb or is incorrect :/

Koeniou
Crazy Person

Post by Koeniou » Tue Jun 06, 2006 6:06 am

*sigh* Deacon, I really don't want to fight about this.

It was something that gave us both something to laugh about, and she brings it up all the time. Its like our own little joke. It is something that was unintentionally funny. It was mainly funny because we both do Ancient Greek & Latin, and both are learning case endings. She was trying to use lunch like a regular verb, and add a verb ending.

I don't normally correct her English, as she is amazingly fluent. I did point out that a better way to rephrase that sentence was "Are you going to lunch", instead of "are you going lunching".

Gowerlypuff
Crazy Person

Post by Gowerlypuff » Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:22 am

I want to smash Deacon in the face with an iron pipe as much as the next man, but he's right. "To Lunch" is a regular verb.
2 entries found for lunching.
lunch ( P ) Pronunciation Key (lnch)
n.
A meal eaten at midday.
The food provided for a midday meal.

intr.v. lunched, lunch·ing, lunch·es
To eat a midday meal.

Idiom:
out to lunch Slang
Not in touch with the real world; crazy.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Short for luncheon.]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
luncher n.

[Download Now or Buy the Book]
Source: The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
Copyright © 2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company.
Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

lunching

n : the act of eating lunch

Source: WordNet ® 2.0, © 2003 Princeton University

As you can see: lunching - n : the act of eating lunch is there. So you can, in fact, go lunching as much as you can go walking and be going lunching as much as you can be going walking.
Last edited by Gowerlypuff on Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sloth: Am I a year behind already?
February was some lyrics or quotes month or something. I don't even remember what year all this was.

Koeniou
Crazy Person

Post by Koeniou » Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:24 am

*sigh* Fine.

Now back to unintentionally funny things hmmm? :)

lifedeath
Crazy Person

Post by lifedeath » Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:11 am

wow...seventeens in america cannot see Boobies?

oooooooo :shifty:
Give Life a real.....

viva la photobucket