My Mother, The Moron (not a teen emorant)

Complain or gush all you like - this is the place to do it.
wocket
Crazy Person

My Mother, The Moron (not a teen emorant)

Post by wocket » Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:31 pm

I hate people who use their cellphones while they're driving. HATE. THEM. SO. MUCH. They need to focus on their driving, not the phone.

Anyway, my mother is one of those people. She loves talking on the phone. Especially, it seems, while she's driving. She knows I hate it. I think that's why she calls me so damned much while she's driving.

So.

I get a call from her about a half an hour ago. We barely say hello when I hear a loud "thud" and then she says "oh shit I just hit a car." I tell her to call me back later.

She calls back later...THIRTY FUCKING SECONDS LATER, and says "yeah I backed into my boss's car, but I'm just doing a hit and run" and then proceeds to talk like nothing just happened.

Um. Hello? YOU JUST HIT A MOTHERFUCKING CAR AND DID A HIT AND RUN. AFTER PREACHING TO ME FOR 18 YEARS THAT HIT AND RUN DRIVERS ARE LOWLY SCUM WHO NEED TO FACE THE CONSEQUENCES OF THEIR ACTIONS. And to top it all off, she still hasn't learned her lesson, considering that she was driving when she called me back.

I want undeniable proof that I am adopted and I want it right now.
Buy some Cute Stuff and support this woman.

tankkisankari
Crazy Person

Post by tankkisankari » Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:45 pm

Does she use a hands free thingy?

dmpotter
Crazy Person

Post by dmpotter » Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:47 pm

People who talk on cell phones while driving should not be allowed to procreate.

Hmm... well, maybe they should. But they shouldn't be allowed to drive.

(Sorry, I just had to make that joke, no offense intended.)

I really, really hate people who insist on driving with cellphones. Fortunately no one in my family does it, although I have been known to drive while wearing a "hands free" set - but even that is dangerous.

Generally speaking, if I'm driving and I get a call, I just read down and hit the "silence ringer" button and assume that if it was important, they'll have left a voice mail message I can listen to when stopped.

Initiating calls from cars are even worse. So much hate...

wocket
Crazy Person

Post by wocket » Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:49 pm

[quote="tankkisankari";p="621966"]Does she use a hands free thingy?[/quote]

No. Meaning she was trying to back up one-handed.
Buy some Cute Stuff and support this woman.

Killer-Rabbit
Crazy Person

Post by Killer-Rabbit » Wed Mar 29, 2006 4:13 pm

So then her boss goes out, sees the damage. The next day sees the damage on your mother's car and oddly enough they have matching paint transfer... :shifty:

Nukinblackmage
Crazy Person

Post by Nukinblackmage » Wed Mar 29, 2006 4:26 pm

I call people when driving sometimes. Like when I'm going to pick friends up. "I'm almost there, get your ass ready to go", stuff like that. Much better than calling when in the parking lot or right outside their house and having to wait for 5-ish minutes for them to get ready. But I do call when I'm at a stoplight.
By Fire We Are Purged
Damned women and their emotions! -FireAza
"Luck is a word the ignorant use to define their ignorance. They are blind to the patters of force that drive the universe, and they name their blindness science, or clearheadedness, or pragmatism; when they stumble into walls or fall off cliffs, they name their clumsiness luck." - Tan'elKoth in Blade of Tyshalle

thejerseyminx
Crazy Person

Post by thejerseyminx » Wed Mar 29, 2006 4:49 pm

"hands free" set - but even that is dangerous
I'm not going to debate whether this is true or not (well actually I am a little..)

but how is talking on a hands free device attached to a cell phone different then talking to a person who is in the vehicle with you? I'm in full agreement that no one should be driving while holding a phone to their ear, plus it helps that NJ passed a law last year making it illegal to drive and talk while using a cellphone without hands free. (It's a secondary offense, btw.) I've also heard rumors that they're trying to make it illegal to SMOKE and drive at the same time. That I think is a bit too far, and no I don't smoke.
And now that I completely got off topic.. I'll go now.
Lord, what FOOLS these mortals be! - Puck
What a tangled web we weave when we practice to deceive.

I sold my soul to Rock 'n' Roll, can I have yours?
My Wish List
Alannah's Wish List

Donomni
Crazy Person

Post by Donomni » Wed Mar 29, 2006 4:50 pm

I suggest a call to Las Vegas and let John "Bugman" Grissom handle the case.... if he were real. :shifty:

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:19 pm

A couple of things to consider:

Not everyone is the same. Different people can handle different situations with differing degrees of competence. Some people can talk and drive. Some people can barely drive in a library-like environment. Some people can talk on a cell phone and drive without a significant impact.

Hands-free does not offer a significant benefit. This is something of a modern wive's tale or myth. Most distractions while driving break down into 3 categories: manual, visual, and cognitive, witch cognitive being the most problematic. Hands-free eliminates most of the manual distraction, but that's about it. The problem isn't that you can't physically maneuver the vehicle or come to a stop. With the vast majority of vehicles being automatic these days, all you need is a single hand on the wheel. Stomping on the brakes doesn't require two hands firmly planted at 9 and 3 (or 10 and 2). Neither does swerving. You don't look at the cell phone when talking on it, so hands-free doesn't eliminate any visual distraction. The problem is in the cognitive disconnect between the driving task and the talking task. The mind's going to generally concentrate on the talking task, which is what gets people in trouble. It impairs reaction times, because they're not concentrating on the road as much. In my case, what I find often happens when I'm driving while talking, is that the conversation stutters and drops out as I'm doing things like changing lanes, exiting/entering a freeway, making a right turn onto a busy street, etc. But then again, I'm also someone with a level of situational awareness while driving that's significantly higher than what appears to be the norm out there. And I had no problem driving and parking (parallel, even) a Suburban in and around LA a week or two ago, while I know people for whom the very thought would cause them to soil themselves. That in and of itself doesn't prove my point, but whatever.

My next cell phone will have bluetooth capabilities, and I will clip a speakerphone to my sunvisor so that I do not have to handle a phone in the car, mainly for the sake of convenience. The idea that every person is sufficiently impaired by having a conversation on a cell phone to the extent where they are a significantly increased danger to themselves and others is ludicrous and annoying to me.

If you're going to march down that nanny-state, over-reacting, soccer-moms-with-nothing-better-to-do type path, then you're going to need to set it up to where people are only allowed to drive alone in a vehicle, a vehicle with no form of radio or navigation assistance, no A/C controls, and no instruments on the dash. The only instrument will be a heads-up display spedometer in the form of block LCD numbers projected onto the windshield. Then nobody will ever have another accident, and we will be in driving utopia. Right?

Yes, wocket, your mom seems to be someone who'd benefit from being backhanded and told to grow up. Part of being an adult is knowing your strengths and weaknesses and adjusting accordingly, something she apparently has utterly failed to do. But to hit a car in the parking lot and drive off as though nothing happened? That's unacceptable. To hit your boss's car in a parking lot and drive off as though nothing happened? That's painfully stupid.

*EDIT* To pre-empt people's demands for references regarding hands-free being useless in terms of significantly reducing the detrimental impact on handling traffic emergencies, I present to you Google.

http://www.news.uiuc.edu/news/04/1112cellphones.html
http://www.tc.gc.ca/roadsafety/tp/tp138 ... 3889es.pdf (PDF warning)
http://www.nsc.org/library/shelf/inincell.htm
We suggest that the cellular phone use disrupts performance by diverting attention to an engaging cognitive context other than the one immediately associated with driving.

Our data suggest that legislative initiatives that restrict hand-held devices but permit hands-free devices are not likely to reduce interference from the phone conversation, because the interference is, in this case, due to central attentional processes.
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news ... one_2.html
Strayer and his group employed only hands-free phones for testing. Some states, including New York and New Jersey, have enacted safety legislation that restricts drivers to hands-free mobile phone use. But many researchers say the laws aren't enough—and may be completely useless.
http://www.psychologicalscience.org/med ... 060303.cfm
http://www.insurance.com/Article.aspx/S ... /artid/319
etc...

*EDIT 2* Note that I am not a proponent of cell phone usage restriction legislation. In fact, I am against it. It's stupid and ridiculous and useless and almost impossible to enforce. Instead, I would suggest better testing for drivers, encouraging and teaching drivers to drive more agressively and defensively, and drop the "speed kills" mantra, a false myth that has resulted in more confusion and mixed-speed secarios that actually do cause problems and deaths.
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

Blaze
Crazy Person

Post by Blaze » Wed Mar 29, 2006 8:36 pm

What Deacon says is why my dad is the only person I know that I trust to drive while talking. While driving, his speech is usually slow to respond, and interupted by pauses, and a little less cognative. I believe he's focusing most of his attention on the road.

SunTzu
Crazy Person

Post by SunTzu » Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:31 pm

BTW are "the vast majority" of vehicles autos worldwide? Ive never seen one.
"Find out just what people will submit to, and you have found the exact amount of injustice and wrongdoing which will be imposed on them; and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."
-- Frederick Douglas, 1857

[quote="Skorpion";p="521996"]
Then the head started coming off, so I just left it rammed into a stump.[/quote]

Killer-Rabbit
Crazy Person

Post by Killer-Rabbit » Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:04 pm

[quote="thejerseyminx";p="621989"]but how is talking on a hands free device attached to a cell phone different then talking to a person who is in the vehicle with you?[/quote]
Because talking to someone with a hands free device is not the same as talking to someone that is in the vehicle with you. When the other person is in the car with you, they are aware of the surroundings too. When the drivers undevided attention is needed, they shut up. A conversation between two people in a car is usually fairly broken up. However, when talking on the phone, the other person is completely unaware of the vehicles surroundings and doesnt know when to shut up. Also, it is not common, typically even awkward to have periods of silence during a phone call, so if the driver is talking, they usually dont shut up when they need to either.

thejerseyminx
Crazy Person

Post by thejerseyminx » Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:24 pm

When the drivers undivided attention is needed, they shut up.
Always?

(and sorry about the correction, I'm generally not a spelling nazi since I'm a horrible speller. This one irked me though- for some reason.)
Lord, what FOOLS these mortals be! - Puck
What a tangled web we weave when we practice to deceive.

I sold my soul to Rock 'n' Roll, can I have yours?
My Wish List
Alannah's Wish List

Killer-Rabbit
Crazy Person

Post by Killer-Rabbit » Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:23 pm

Not always, as there are many complete idiots out there, but it is typical.

And dont let typos bother you, you'll live longer.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:26 am

[quote="SunTzu";p="622093"]BTW are "the vast majority" of vehicles autos worldwide? Ive never seen one.[/quote]
You've never seen a vehicle? Or you've never seen a vehicle with an automatic transmission? :wtf: to either. Regardless, I never said "worldwide" nor was it even implied.

[quote="Killer-Rabbit";p="622124"]When the other person is in the car with you, they are aware of the surroundings too. When the drivers undevided attention is needed, they shut up.[/quote]
:wtf: indeed. Or maybe :| is about as close as we get.
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922