As a doctor, I'm tired of COVID "debate"

Complain or gush all you like - this is the place to do it.
YH
Redshirt

As a doctor, I'm tired of COVID "debate"

Post by YH » Wed Dec 29, 2021 7:29 am

As a mini-update, I've been practicing a licensed health professional for 10 years now! Yeah, I feel old too.

The past 21 months have been frankly awful and devastating for all of us, and there are so many things I can mention. But as our infection rates climb again (and from my perspective as a pediatric cardiologist, the next wave of post-infection multisystemic inflammatory syndrome), I am mentally exhausted about the discourse about this damn virus.

I don't directly mean the anti-vaccination/anti-masker people, but rather the intellectuals/key-thought leaders who spend this time poking holes at masking and sniping at vaccination policies. People like Vinay Prasad MD MPH, who otherwise would be a respectable hematologist-oncologist (with a respectable streak of anti-institutionalism) but instead nowadays spends more time making Youtube videos about "CDC Director is wrong!!" etc. To me, his efforts appear to enable more of the anti-vaccination/anti-masking/anti-health authority sentiment that I see more in the general public. Then there's truly awful grifters like Rand Paul, who really should not be able to claim he is a physician based on the stuff that he's said.

I get it, it's a big world, people are allowed to have their opinions. They may sometimes have a point or two. But when their bags of hot air start crowding the health care discussion in COVID, and meanwhile we continue to see sick kids with COVID... or sick kids with MIS-C, or worried parents with kids etc.... or very very worried parents of really sick kids......

It starts to wear me down, and I just don't have the patience anymore outside of saying "Yes, get the shot" or a very brief discussion about vaccine-related myocarditis to parents (tldr - it's rare, it's mild).

Somedays I'd really love to bury my head in the sand and avoid the discourse is, unfortunately I feel that it is a part of my job!

Anyways... stay safe out there.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Re: As a doctor, I'm tired of COVID "debate"

Post by Deacon » Wed Dec 29, 2021 3:17 pm

I would say I feel your pain; but while I can relate in general I’m not sure I can really fathom the magnitude of it.
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922