Son of Rantettes & Ravettes

Complain or gush all you like - this is the place to do it.
FirebirdNC
Mad Hatteras

Re: Son of Rantettes & Ravettes

Post by FirebirdNC » Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:20 pm

Data acquired, interest waning :)
~Insert clever bon mot here~

raptor9k
Redshirt

Post by raptor9k » Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:31 pm

As it should be. How's the new job working out?

FirebirdNC
Mad Hatteras

Post by FirebirdNC » Wed Jul 14, 2021 3:38 pm

They fired my helper (they needed to good grief) and gave me a permanent raise and a weekly bonus for the extra work until they find a replacement. The money to be made here is ridiculous right now. They are starting people at $17/hour with mileage to go inspect homes on the weekends. Inspecting is just what it sounds like, check to make sure the house is clean and nothing is broken. Easy work. The rest of the week I am doing next to nothing. Still at the vets office one day a week because I like it and they also gave me a raise. Good help is hard to find you have to keep it when you do.
~Insert clever bon mot here~

raptor9k
Redshirt

Post by raptor9k » Wed Jul 14, 2021 6:49 pm

That's awesome! There seem to be a ton of jobs out there for detail oriented people. Employment opportunities in general seem to be pretty decent these days. The movement in tech is insane right now. All the shitty corps that are recalling staff to offices are seeing a mass exodus from the people that enjoyed working from home. There is absolutely no need for most non customer facing positions in tech to report to an office, but old ways die hard.

Rorschach
The Immoral Immortal

Post by Rorschach » Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:00 am

FirebirdNC wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 3:38 pm They fired my helper (they needed to good grief) and gave me a permanent raise and a weekly bonus for the extra work until they find a replacement. The money to be made here is ridiculous right now. They are starting people at $17/hour with mileage to go inspect homes on the weekends. Inspecting is just what it sounds like, check to make sure the house is clean and nothing is broken. Easy work. The rest of the week I am doing next to nothing. Still at the vets office one day a week because I like it and they also gave me a raise. Good help is hard to find you have to keep it when you do.
That's all good to hear. Always good to know you're ahead of the game in the work:wages stakes.

How's everyone else doing? Quick recap if you'd all be so good. :)
To Let

Blackjack
Redshirt

Post by Blackjack » Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:57 am

I actually have a job in my industry! I'm an embedded systems engineer for a small start-up.
Been working with them for a couple weeks, I still feel I don't really know what I'm doing.
No-one has seemed to notice yet.

I like the people I work with. I'm older than the guy who owns the company which just feels weird. Suppose that happens when you graduate in your 30s, though.

BtEO
Redshirt

Post by BtEO » Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:26 pm

Rave: New PC… New £2500 PC…
Rant: Having to reinstall everything just the way I like it.

Blackjack
Redshirt

Post by Blackjack » Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:35 pm

Oof, that's a hell of a machine. Have much difficulty finding parts?

raptor9k
Redshirt

Post by raptor9k » Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:34 pm

These days you could easily spend that on a GPU alone lol.

BtEO
Redshirt

Post by BtEO » Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:31 am

I just ordered it from a PC builder and let them deal with finding the parts.
Looking at the unused parts from the case/mobo (some of which don't even appear to be described in the respective manual) I'm sure I made the right choice — if I'd tried to build it myself I'd have been constantly worried I didn't include something I needed to; the cable management would have been shit too.

raptor9k
Redshirt

Post by raptor9k » Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:09 pm

I built a new desktop when I changed jobs around 3 years ago. It was the first I'd built since right out of college. Cable management in the newer cases is super easy now. Modular PSU goes in its own compartment at the bottom of the case. Nearly everything can be run in from behind the motherboard directly to its socket. My cheap Phanteks case even let me mount 2 SSDs behind the motherboard in a little half cage that fits perfectly between the plate and the side wall of the case.

What specs did you end up with?