Son of Rantettes & Ravettes

Complain or gush all you like - this is the place to do it.
FirebirdNC
Mad Hatteras

Re: Son of Rantettes & Ravettes

Post by FirebirdNC » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:42 am

Aww, you guys are all growing up *sniffle*. My youngest is in his third year of college and my oldest turns 26 this year and is a DNA tech. My husband and I are empty nesters now :). You all have some serious catching up to do still haha.
~Insert clever bon mot here~

Rorschach
Crazy Person

Post by Rorschach » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:02 am

My husband and I are empty nesters now
---
I can't begin to list the unspeakable sexual plans I intend to visit upon my unsuspecting wife the very second the front door closes on our youngest fucking right off.
To Let

FirebirdNC
Mad Hatteras

Post by FirebirdNC » Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:42 am

Rorschach wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:02 am
My husband and I are empty nesters now
---
I can't begin to list the unspeakable sexual plans I intend to visit upon my unsuspecting wife the very second the front door closes on our youngest fucking right off.
By the time that happens you will be too tired to do half of them. The other half however is pretty spectacular. Naked time is any time haha and you might be surprised what your "unsuspecting" wife might have in store for you.
~Insert clever bon mot here~

Rorschach
Crazy Person

Post by Rorschach » Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:48 am

:shock:
:lol:
Ah well. Only eighteen years or so (maybe) before I get to find out.
To Let

Sir Spankspeople
Crazy Person

Post by Sir Spankspeople » Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:00 pm

Rant: Tried so hard to get into a nice, normal office job but I've ended up back at the Front Desk with absolutely stupid shifts (No Sat/Sun evenings off until October at this point). Some day I'll have the same schedule as my friends and they won't know what to do with me.
Inflammatory signatures hurt us all...

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:46 am

Eww... I hope it pays well enough to justify!
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

Sir Spankspeople
Crazy Person

Post by Sir Spankspeople » Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:21 pm

Deacon wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:46 am
Eww... I hope it pays well enough to justify!
Yeah, we moved from Ontario back to Prince Edward Island. Currently making $3.75 above minimum wage, and it's still only *just* what I'd be making at minimum in Ottawa.

Current plans: We move back to Ontario in October when the Inn/cottages I'm working at close, the missus finishes her part-time HR course and gets a good job, then I go back to school for Tech Writing, get a good job. No more somehow trying to live off of Hospitality and Childcare.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:32 am

Yeah, some aspects of service industries can be a bitch to deal with, especially as you get older.
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

Sir Spankspeople
Crazy Person

Post by Sir Spankspeople » Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:23 pm

Rant: Waiting to hear back on whether we've gotten this apartment or not.

Moving provinces is stressful, and I've already booked the movers without a set destination. They're being helpful and offering to hold everything on-site for up to 30 days, but I'd be happier knowing we've got something lined up already.

I also understand that moving back to Ottawa for Labour day Weekend was not the best plan, as we're going to be fighting all the college and university students for apartments, but it's what we've got to do.

I just wish the rental agency was less terrible at communication/organization.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:01 am

Changing jobs and/or careers? What prompted to big move?

Sir Spankspeople
Crazy Person

Post by Sir Spankspeople » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:58 pm

Deacon wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:01 am
Changing jobs and/or careers? What prompted to big move?
So, I lived on PEI from 2007 to 2010 and I loved it here. I lived right downtown, so I could walk anywhere, and all my friends worked at the hotel and had the same ridiculous schedule I had. Every day after work was like an unplanned staff party at the hotel bar, and we spent 2-3 nights a week at the beach having bonfires and just drinking 'til 2:00AM.

Eventually I got bored and moved back to Ottawa where I was miserable, but that was mostly because I was still working ridiculous hospitality shifts (for terrible bosses) while everyone else I knew worked 9-5 Monday to Friday in offices, so I've barely seen any of my friends since 2010.

Charlie and I had been looking at ways to lower overall stress in life, so moving back to PEI seemed like a good idea at the time. Cheap houses, cheap rent, relaxed atmosphere. She got a job here and we moved, discovered that housing prices are going up, on average, about 25% each year, and rent had somehow made it to Ottawa levels (I paid $450/mo for my one bedroom apartment here a decade ago, now I'm finding bachelors in Charlottetown at $1600). It took me until June to find a new job, because I was trying really hard to *not* go back to the Front Desk, and as soon as I caved I got a job within two days, and now work basically all evenings and weekends, so we still can't go out and do anything now that I've got money.

Adding to that, Charlie can't drive for medical reasons, and we couldn't find an apartment in Charlottetown, so we're basically way out in the suburbs with no way for her to get to the few things there are to do here, and all of her friends being back in Ottawa, it's not a lifestyle we can really continue out here.

Also she's gotten sick of working as an ECE (it's not the children that are the problems, it's partially Canadian childcare standards being so far behind UK standards some of it would be considered neglect or abuse over there, and most of it is the parents) and has nabbed herself a nice job working as a web writer for the Federal Government.

Since I seem to be stuck in hospitality for the rest of eternity, I'm going to go back and try to go back to college next September, for the Technical Writer program. Maybe some day I'll actually ever see my friends again.

The catch is that to qualify for OSAP (Ontario Student Assistance Program), I need to be a resident of Ontario for 12 months prior to the course start date, so we need to move back for Labour Day weekend, rather than December as originally planned, and now we're fighting with students for apartments.

On Monday it was "We'll know for sure if you got the place and let you know by tomorrow", and yesterday it was "we'll know for sure by this afternoon", and we still haven't heard back. If we hadn't gotten the apartment they would have said so, so I have no idea what the heck is going on, and it's really starting to get annoying. If we're not getting the place, they need to say so and give us back our deposit so we can continue looking.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:49 pm

Wow, that's a lot of frustrations and life changes, but it sounds like you've got a solid plan moving forward. If only those jackasses will let you know if you've got the apartment :)

JermCool
Crazy Person

Post by JermCool » Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:20 pm

Rave: Greg isn't dead and we are expecting new comics!

Rant: We don't have new comics yet.

Rant: The godkid started kindergarten. When the heck did she get that old???
Insert Banner Here
"The internet is bullcrap! And everyone on it is retarded!" - Muspar
"All threads should degenerate into the bumming of JermCool." - Rorschach

Dr. Tower
Crazy Person

Post by Dr. Tower » Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:34 pm

Technical rant: Cray-mpich fails silently when you provide a tag that is too large, and the environment variable that says what is too large is wrong by a few orders of magnitude.

Rave: Knowing these little tidbits helps keep me in a job.
Father of 3