Some helpful tips for new users

Getting to know all about you... Introductions? Looking to meet up with fellow forumites in your area? Not in your area? For all of these, this is the place to go.
Inuki
Crazy Person

Post by Inuki » Sat Dec 13, 2003 10:18 pm

did i miss something... :shifty:

i don't think i was spamming...i was merely stating a fact that i usually don't see pm's because it's not something i actively look for...and i believed this to be the place to post any aid that could be given to newbies, so that is why i posted that they could use my web server to host avatars and sigs...
[center]Image[/center]

Calus
Crazy Person

Re: Some helpful tips

Post by Calus » Sat Dec 13, 2003 10:20 pm

Offering hosting when its going on Here doesn't look good in the ways of non-spam.
Edward "Snugglepants" Van Helgen: What! You shot my banjo!

"Do I hear voices? I guess so. I don't worry though, because I have learned to ignore them. They keep telling me the Cubs will win the World Series." Calus

Soul_Harvester
Crazy Person

Post by Soul_Harvester » Sat Dec 13, 2003 10:44 pm

It may be unwanted competition, certainly, but it wasn't spam. Just an offer of help. It's not even real hosting...just a couple of pics.

Fatty98
Crazy Person

Post by Fatty98 » Tue Dec 16, 2003 9:47 am

Ok another n00b to flame, good sirs. I shall gladly oblige in your flame wars against the n00bian people of this forum.

ph34r the wrath.
Dyslexia rules! KO??
Rock 'n Roll deficiency disorder.

AllyWally00
Crazy Person

Post by AllyWally00 » Tue Feb 10, 2004 11:58 pm

Bah! spaming is bad very very bad
Imperfection is beauty; madness is genius. And it’s better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.

Beware of the Leopard
Crazy Person

helpful tips with reality in mind

Post by Beware of the Leopard » Sun Feb 15, 2004 7:32 am

Really helpful tips:

1. If you're going to post introduction threads, do it here.

2. Do not, under any circumstances, post an introduction thread. :wink:

3. There is no 3

4. If you really want to post an intro thread, be prepared for a full frontal assault unless one of the resident trolls takes a shining towards you before any others post. Then for some reason, they'll all worship you like a god and your intro thread will become an instant messenger replacement thread. This rarely happens.

5. Do not, under any circumstances, post an introduction thread.

6. no pooftahs! (just kidding for those of you who actually know English slang from the 60s and 70s, this is just a Flying Circus reference)

7. Smaointe! (she's right)
"I think all right-thinking people in this country are sick and tired of being told that ordinary decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I'm certainly not, and I'm sick and tired of being told that I am."

Seir
Crazy Person

Post by Seir » Fri Feb 27, 2004 5:07 pm

On a related note, if you end up going to the IRC channel as well, please remember that the same rules regarding courtesy apply. Don't act like you're a gift to the channel *cough*PieGuy*cough*. If you want respect, give respect.

[quote="Fatty98";p="239696"]Ok another n00b to flame, good sirs. I shall gladly oblige in your flame wars against the n00bian people of this forum.

ph34r the wrath.[/quote]

He seems to be just as new. Okay, another thing, if I may add, don't be a damn Toadie. We have enough trolls on the forum, and we don't need some neophyte tagging along on their coattails thinking that this'll get them popular or respected just as fast.

Yo Mav, I'm real happy for you and Imma let you finish but Hirschoff had the best sig trends of all time.

Prospero
FKA Glue, The Other White Liquid

Re: Some helpful tips

Post by Prospero » Thu Apr 29, 2004 1:53 pm

Forumities should not, under any circumstances, go "Hi. Beware of ________. He/She's a moron." Cut that garbage out. Seriously, don't be a nazi, let them form their own opinions.

EddieMS
Crazy Person

some tips for n00bs

Post by EddieMS » Wed May 12, 2004 6:34 pm

I've not been here all that long, but it might be halpful for the n00bs if some of you who have been here a longer than me could post some tips on how not to get flamed. Just a few I've noticed (and knew before I came here) are

1) no caps lock. it's like shouting on the internet.

2) no necroposting (I know this is in the rules, but some people like me may not have read all the rules) check the date of the latest post on a thread before responding. I actually did this a few times, but after someone told me what I did, I stopped. sorry folks, I'm used to more active forums where all the topics on the first page are active. I'll never do it again, I swear!

3) search the forum using the little tool at the top left corner before posting a thread, especially a question thread. someone may have been over this before. I know someone may have tried this thread before, but since n00bs may not know to search for it, I posted this anyway.

anything else anyone wants to add would be apreciated. if we all work together, we can have a happier, more peaceful forum.

*mutters to himself "I hate working in groups"*

wocket
Crazy Person

Re: some tips for n00bs

Post by wocket » Wed May 12, 2004 6:37 pm

[quote="EddieMS";p="336202"]
3) search the forum using the little tool at the top left corner before posting a thread, especially a question thread. someone may have been over this before. I know someone may have tried this thread before, but since n00bs may not know to search for it, I posted this anyway.
[/quote]

Erm..it's a sticky. In this forum. RIGHT AT THE TOP.

http://www.reallifeforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=6099
Buy some Cute Stuff and support this woman.

EddieMS
Crazy Person

Post by EddieMS » Wed May 12, 2004 6:41 pm

yeah well on the sticky there's so much crap, you have to skip six or seven useless posts to get to one helpful one. I was trying to start clean, but I forgot to say that in my first post.

Prospero
FKA Glue, The Other White Liquid

Post by Prospero » Wed May 12, 2004 8:56 pm

Mergy mergy.
Last edited by Prospero on Wed May 12, 2004 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sneaky ninja
Chun Li!
Chun Li!

Post by sneaky ninja » Wed May 12, 2004 9:01 pm

Yeah, I think I'm just gonna go ahead and merge the topics. If...I can remember how...>.<

EDIT: Yay, it worked =)

SothThe69th
Crazy Person

Post by SothThe69th » Tue Aug 24, 2004 3:33 am

Simple suggestion for all you neophytes out there-

Don't bother to post an intro in "Getting to know you". Its more likely to turn you away from the forums then to sound inviting. You get an image in here that is entirely different than the rest of the forums. GTKY is retarded, as are most of the people who frequent it (A.k.a. the people most likely to welcome you to the forums.). The rest of the forums, on the other hand, are generally intelligent and interesting. Or at least interesting.
SIG TREND OF THE MONTH IS BLANK SIGS BECAUSE I GOT LAZY AND DIDN'T MAKE THE THING AND STUFF.
"Soth, you truly exemplify the gallant, hopeless romantic.." Lunatic Jedi

BillyBlaze
Crazy Person

Post by BillyBlaze » Tue Aug 24, 2004 3:57 am

On an unrelated note, there used to be a sticky (In which Soth was mentioned by name) telling people to stop trolling newbies. So take anything he says with a grain of salt.