Some helpful tips for new users

Getting to know all about you... Introductions? Looking to meet up with fellow forumites in your area? Not in your area? For all of these, this is the place to go.
SothThe69th
Crazy Person

Post by SothThe69th » Sun Sep 12, 2004 12:22 pm

Billy is just jealous of my awesomeness.

Anyhow-

Things that will help you out on RLF- Part one.
  1. Thick Skin- Don't take it personal. These are words on an internet forum. WORDS. INTERNET. WORDS. INTERNET.
  2. A sense of humor- And no, thinking RLC is funny doesn't count. If you can't crack a joke, take a joke, or at least understand when something is a joke, then you aren't a person who is wanted on the forums.
  3. Not making a "I'm leaving" thread- Really, most of the time, we just laugh at you.
  4. Knowing when to shut your piehole- If a thread discussing Topic A gets locked, this is not your cue to open a new thread about Topic A.
  5. Lurking- Take a few days to just poke around on RLF. Get a feel for the atmosphere and the dorks/nerds/blowhards/assholes you'll be dealing with. That way, when you post something and one of them replies, you won't be shocked by their reply. Protip: I'm one of the assholes. Collect the set!
  6. Coherency- Spelling. Grammar. Unless English isn't your first language, you've got no reason not to have a good grasp of both.
  7. Fanboys- No. No. NO. Unless you've got decent arguments as to why your item/ideal of choice is superior and can back them up, don't even start arguing about them.
  8. Furries- God hates furries, and so do I.
  9. SEMANTICS- SEMANTICS!!1111 (lawl forum in-joke)
  10. You want to ask a question about the forums or whatever? Do it! Message someone with a bunch of posts under their belt, they'll be happy to answer it.
  11. DO NOT MAKE THREADS ABOUT WHETHER OR NOT GREG OWNS THE MASTER SWORD.
  12. Stop assuming that because you've been reading the comic for a gazillion years you're any less of a newbie on the forums. You ARE a newbie, suck it up and deal. (Contributed by Mandor.)
SIG TREND OF THE MONTH IS BLANK SIGS BECAUSE I GOT LAZY AND DIDN'T MAKE THE THING AND STUFF.
"Soth, you truly exemplify the gallant, hopeless romantic.." Lunatic Jedi

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Tue May 03, 2005 3:23 pm

Posted Fri Nov 26, 2004 2:24 am:

/me casts Thread Necromancy and tosses in Mouth To Mouth on Soth for the helluvit :glare:

Posted Tue May 03, 2005 10:22 am:

Please bear in mind one simple fact when posting to these boards, and you should be fine: this isn't AIM. Take the extra 0.4 seconds it takes to capitalize appropriately, include appropriate punctuation, and try to give at least a passing nod to spelling and grammar. If you take a little pride in your post (especially its presentation), it helps others perceive what you write as something worth reading rather than a tedious chore to decipher and tolerate.

Oh, hey. I am THE necromancer!
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

wocket
Crazy Person

Post by wocket » Tue May 03, 2005 10:29 pm

Deacon wins. As usual.
Buy some Cute Stuff and support this woman.

AzraeL
Crazy Person
Location: Perth, Australia "World's most isolated capital city"

Post by AzraeL » Thu May 05, 2005 11:01 am

Nice grammar and capitalizing. A shining example.
Sig Courtesy of Mista

Nekra
Crazy Person

Post by Nekra » Thu May 26, 2005 11:18 am

On a side note, if you are a Gramma Nazi, remember not everyone gives as big a shit as you do about it. So instead of publically insulting them for their minor mistake, PM them instead and politely point it out. I know personnally I will try to correct mistakes I make, and when it hasn't come with a public humiliation try to learn from them. With the public humiliation my self righteous arrogance kicks in and i wont get off my high horse.
[url=http://www.moxguild.comImage[/url]

BtEO
Crazy Person

Post by BtEO » Thu May 26, 2005 11:27 am

[quote="Nekra";p="500826"]I know personnally I will try to correct mistakes I make[/quote]

Arc Orion
Crazy Person
Omnicode: sxy cm175 kg108 esO.contacts sp= Ag1985.September.20 anE hdd Lo47,226614N-122,46152W Rl! Kd! MBINTP FH! IN10 AdI PrC(2)^(8)

Post by Arc Orion » Thu May 26, 2005 12:13 pm

Nekra, it's not quite "public humiliation" to have spelling and grammar errors pointed out. I make mistakes all the time, and if they are pointed out, I change them, or at least try not to repeat them. It's not as though people are going to think less of me if they point out an error or two.
I need fewer water.

luzagodom
Crazy Person

Re: Some helpful tips for new users

Post by luzagodom » Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:22 am

Thank you for your helping.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Re: Some helpful tips for new users

Post by Deacon » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:00 pm

HA! Apparently "Do not necro 5 year old threads without good reason" isn't on the list?
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922