Umm, Hi again (13 years later)

Getting to know all about you... Introductions? Looking to meet up with fellow forumites in your area? Not in your area? For all of these, this is the place to go.
Doc Giggles
Crazy Person

Re: Umm, Hi again (13 years later)

Post by Doc Giggles » Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:43 am

We used to have a wonderful fish and chips place here. The locals didn't understand it so it went out of business. Their last day was a sad one.
Disciple of Gnarr
“Let there be truth, happiness, and waffles”
-Nomad, Dark Lord & Avatar of Gnarr

nosystemd
Crazy Person

Post by nosystemd » Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:47 am

Norphus wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:18 pm
If you ever come back and aren't instantly deported for such a transgression, go to a proper chippy :)
Hey, I was going where my fiancee was going. She grew up there, if she doesn't know where to eat it's on her.

If I go back I'll try to get proper fish and chips next time. If it makes you feel better, I've probably already had them (she would sometimes bring stuff home wrapped in paper, right?)

What's funny to me is how much people differ on what's proper and what isn't. Like the Scottish fellow I used to buy tea from.

"YE PUT MILK IN YER TEA???!!!!!!!!" You'd think I'd insulted his mother. Then again, no fists came out. The windows did rattle, slightly. This was back in the States, and the tea tasted fine to me. I drink loose tea you know, it's the only kind I have the patience for. No fiddling around with teabags, thank you.

Rorschach
The Immoral Immortal

Post by Rorschach » Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:52 pm

I find that accent offensive.

:p
To Let

nosystemd
Crazy Person

Post by nosystemd » Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:42 pm

Rorschach wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:52 pm
It wasn't an accent, he literally spelled it out that way! I thought it was peculiar, but I was focused on his problem with how I take my tea.

But in all honesty he sounded exactly like the "How can you have any pudding?" guy from "Another Brick in the Wall". I've heard much nicer accents, I could listen to Ashley Jensen all day long. Probably David Tennant for that matter, though I don't know how much worse I'm making it as neither of them are from Glasgow. Failing all else, I've heard countless British attempts at American accents, and except for Hugh Laurie's they're generally hilarious.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Wed Oct 28, 2020 5:35 pm

Rorschach wrote:
So does the rest of the world, but we’ve made peace with it ;)
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

Rorschach
The Immoral Immortal

Post by Rorschach » Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:20 pm

I think David Tennant is from Paisley. I’m assuming one of the nicer parts. Although I don’t know of any.

Kevin Bridges is probably the most faithful Glaswegian accent I can think of, although I’m not entirely sure how well-known he is.

I think Brummie might pretty regularly top the polls for unattractive British accents, but I can’t imagine Glaswegian is that far behind.

Although for a Scot to be so precious about tea, I can see why he was booted out. He sounds like a wrong ‘un.
To Let

Rorschach
The Immoral Immortal

Post by Rorschach » Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:34 pm

Deacon wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 5:35 pm
Rorschach wrote:
So does the rest of the world, but we’ve made peace with it ;)
https://youtu.be/G_1LP3Z6pW4

:(
To Let

nosystemd
Crazy Person

Post by nosystemd » Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:36 pm

Rorschach wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:20 pm
Although for a Scot to be so precious about tea, I can see why he was booted out. He sounds like a wrong ‘un.
This was before he pulled a knife out and jabbed it at a customer. It was only in illustration of a story, but I'm not sure "precious" even sums him up. You can be assured I don't judge the rest by him-- second-most eccentric shop owner I ever met.