The Gathering 2011: An Inquiry of Interest

Getting to know all about you... Introductions? Looking to meet up with fellow forumites in your area? Not in your area? For all of these, this is the place to go.

The Gathering 2011 in Lake Tahoe.

Yes. I'm in 100% and for a full week. Where do I send my deposit?
14%
Yes. I'm in 100% but only for a segment.
7%
I'm in 75% and for a full week.
7%
I'm in 75% but only for a segment.
No votes
I'm 50% sure and think I can go for a week.
3%
I'm 50% sure and think I can go for a segment.
14%
Eh, I don't think I could go. It would depend on the cost.
10%
No, are you guys crazy? Why would I spend that kind of money on a super cheap week's vacation somewhere?
No votes
Absolutely not. I'm barely able to afford ramen right now.
45%

Total votes: 29

Mav
Respect the Wang

Re: The Gathering 2011: An Inquiry of Interest

Post by Mav » Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:25 am

Deacon, you and I need to have some kind of drinking game during the show. Winner remains conscious.
Arc_Orion wrote:<Arc_Orion> Mav is like a very interestingly informed six year old.

Mae Dean
Forum Goddess
Forum Goddess

Post by Mae Dean » Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:33 am

Pretty sure that'd be the loser.

Martin Blank
Knower of Things
Knower of Things

Post by Martin Blank » Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:29 am

Alright, I'm chiming in now. Yes, it's almost a week late. I list my girlfriend and work as the reason.

Because I can.

And because it's true.

(Quick side note: I did make a quick trip into the Kitty Hawk area about a month ago and found a house with the same realty as we've used there before which also has the benefit of having a theater room at least as awesome as the last new place we looked at. It's high on the list for a return, but that's for another time. [Firebird: We didn't forget you, but we were on the ground for all of 3 hours before flying back up to Columbia, and figured contacting you while there would just be a tease.])

I'm checking to see which time I can get off of work. I will be in Vegas for training from 19-24 September (possibly adding the 25th and/or 26th, if I can get someone to agree to the funding for the extra class) so time off around that time is a little dicey, though they're getting less worried about that than they have been in the past. I may rent a car down here and drive up there. It's a long trip that way (8 or 9 hours), but my girlfriend can drive part of it provided her back isn't giving her problems, so it wouldn't be so bad, and it might just be a bit of fun. I'd love to fly a plane up there myself, but that's prohibitively expensive to rent for a week and I don't know anyone who will loan me a plane.

Running through some numbers, the costs actually aren't going to be much different than before (excepting the fuel costs for the flights). If anything, it could well be less expensive, and that includes increasing the money set aside for food by 20% over 2007 numbers. Right now, I get $325 per segment, and that doesn't factor in other people joining in. Two more segments -- one more person in for a week -- knocks the price to around the $300 mark.

As for kids, I'm going to propose the following accommodation: If the child is still nursing or eating baby food (or other specialized food wholly provided by the parents) and sleeping in a crib, there is no charge (the parents have to clean up after the child, of course). If the child is eating from the general food supply and has moved up to a bed (roll-out or otherwise), how about half-price until age 12? Anyone teens or older pays full price. Sound fair?
If I show up at your door, chances are you did something to bring me there.

Rorschach
The Immoral Immortal

Post by Rorschach » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:37 am

Greg Dean wrote:Pretty sure that'd be the loser.
I would hope that the loser would both be unconscious and suffer a far more horrific fate at the hands of the conscious, drunk and power-mad winner.

Yeah. I can't go. :(
To Let

pickel
Crazy Person

Post by pickel » Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:02 pm

Martin Blank wrote:As for kids, I'm going to propose the following accommodation: If the child is still nursing or eating baby food (or other specialized food wholly provided by the parents) and sleeping in a crib, there is no charge (the parents have to clean up after the child, of course). If the child is eating from the general food supply and has moved up to a bed (roll-out or otherwise), how about half-price until age 12? Anyone teens or older pays full price. Sound fair?
What about a kid who is still in a crib, but is eating about half (or less) of a normal person? Often Noah will just share my meals when we go out to eat. Or I could buy his food separate from the general supply since most people probably won't want what he's eating anyway. Just trying to make this as cheap as possible for us, since I'm really not sure we are going to be able to afford it with airfare being kind of expensive. :(

Lizzegirle
Forum Queen

Post by Lizzegirle » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:03 pm

I think if you wanted to shop for stuff that's just for him, and he's still in a crib, then he should probably be free. He's not taking up any extra resources, yanno?

I'll let the others chime in, but I think that's fair.

Martin Blank
Knower of Things
Knower of Things

Post by Martin Blank » Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:43 am

Works for me, though once out of the crib it will need to change up a little bit. I'm not going to spaz if he has a cookie, though.
If I show up at your door, chances are you did something to bring me there.

pickel
Crazy Person

Post by pickel » Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:46 am

Oh yea once he is taking up a bed I would totally understand paying half price. I was actually wondering how difficult it would be to pay for 1/3 of the meal price for him or something like that so that he would share dinners with us. I usually do pretty simple breakfasts and lunches, but then he shares whatever we have for dinner. So if that was also an option we could probably swing that. I don't know how difficult that gets as far as calculating costs and such though...

Mae Dean
Forum Goddess
Forum Goddess

Post by Mae Dean » Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:36 am

Whatever gets you guys to come down. That's all I care about. :D

JermCool
Crazy Person

Post by JermCool » Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:02 pm

I foresee Mav and the kid fighting it out for the crib and the cookies.
Insert Banner Here
"The internet is bullcrap! And everyone on it is retarded!" - Muspar
"All threads should degenerate into the bumming of JermCool." - Rorschach

FirebirdNC
Mad Hatteras

Post by FirebirdNC » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:58 pm

Martin Blank wrote: [Firebird: We didn't forget you, but we were on the ground for all of 3 hours before flying back up to Columbia, and figured contacting you while there would just be a tease.])
MB,you do know me lol, I was reading that going HEY!! WTH?. Until I got to that part. Hope you have another trip soon where you stay longer.
~Insert clever bon mot here~

Sir Spankspeople
Crazy Person

Post by Sir Spankspeople » Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:03 pm

I had so much fun in Duck in 2007 and wish I could have attended the gatherings since then, I really do.

This year, however, is no good. I've already spent a week of vacation I don't actually have(on account of having started a new job in December), actually in Duck again (Sorry Firebird, I really wanted to swing by the deli but I couldn't swing the time or the car!) with the girlfriend's family, I've got a wedding in Halifax in July(and as I am starting ANOTHER new job within the next few weeks I likely still won't have vacation built up for that), possible camping on PEI in August, I don't have the money to take any more time off this year. 'Specially not if I'm going to be trying to visit the girlfriend's family in England for a large chunk of December...

Also September 3rd is Korivak's wedding, and I'm helping with the foodstuffs...

Can I still be there in spirit? I can send some ridiculously dated luggage for someone to bring, just for Greg.
In vino veritas
In aqua sanitas

Hirschof
Crazy Person

Post by Hirschof » Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:22 pm

Not able to make trip. Spent most of my vacation hours working on the house and I need to save the rest of my hours for short trip in October.
"Hirschof: So much more than a handy masturbatory image." -Rorschach
"I think Hirschof is neat." -Sophira

RIP RLF SIG Trend: Aug 2004 - Jan 2010.
mah facebook

Sir Spankspeople
Crazy Person

Post by Sir Spankspeople » Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:51 pm

Hirschof wrote:...need to save the rest of my hours for short trip in October.
Coming up to Canada to celebrate Tom-Day?

It's a national event, this year.
In vino veritas
In aqua sanitas

Sophira
Jezzy's Belle

Post by Sophira » Sun May 01, 2011 5:59 am

October contains MY birthday, so CLEARLY it is about Soap-day.
<Arc_Orion> And I give rides to dudes!
<kaiju01> Yeah, I'm kind of a dick.
<Hirschof>Long from now, when the Earth is charred and barren, the only things left on the surface will be cockroaches and the continuous bickering between Fuggle and Deacon. :)
<Deacon> I'm not, however, played by a homosexual child star.