I was feeling nostalgic last night...

Getting to know all about you... Introductions? Looking to meet up with fellow forumites in your area? Not in your area? For all of these, this is the place to go.
wocket
Crazy Person

I was feeling nostalgic last night...

Post by wocket » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:03 am

So I logged in again, for the first time in...I don't even know how many years. And, wow, y'all are still here? Ridiculous.

Anyway, here's a quick synopsis of the last ~10 or so years:

-New Year's Eve 2008, my father was diagnosed with esophageal cancer. Christmas Day 2009, he passed away.
-2 months before he died, my best friend ghosted me because, quote, she "couldn't deal" with how angry and moody I was at the time.
-I dropped out of college in 2009. Went back and finished my undergraduate degree in social work in 2011.
-I tried going into an MSW program immediately. The first semester, I was on the honor roll. The second semester, I failed 3 classes and was dismissed from the program.
-Did you know that ADHD is a thing and that girls and women can have it? My parents didn't! But around the time I failed out of grad school, my sister and her older daughter were diagnosed with it, which prompted me to be assessed as well. And after doing a bunch of reading on the condition, my entire life makes a lot more sense.
-After struggling to make ends meet with my first post-college job (working with kids in their homes and schools to reach goals outlined for them in a behavior plan - it was $14 an hour and I was lucky to get 15 hours a week), I somehow stumbled my way into the public sector. I've been doing eligibility for public assistance programs (food stamps, Medicaid, TANF, etc.) ever since.

In 2014 I moved out to Berkeley, CA. I fell in love with the area back in 2007, when I flew out there to meet surc (we still talk occasionally, btw. He's doing well!), and in 2014 I was finally in a financially stable place where I could afford a cross-country move.

Literally about a month after moving out to the Bay, I met my husband. He's great!
I have a close knit circle of friends out here in CA. They're great!

In 2016, I decided I was ready to go back to grad school, but I didn't want an MSW. So now I have an MPP (Public Policy). 2016 is also the year I married my husband - and when I finished converting to Judaism, a process that took over a year of study with two different rabbis. If you ever have the chance to go to school full-time, work full-time, plan a wedding, and convert to Judaism all in the same year, I absolutely do not recommend it.

...This got long. Sorry, I'll wrap it up. I'm currently in the process of moving out of the Bay Area (because the rent is killing us). In my usual fashion, I'm doing things completely backwards: I started a job, and now I'm looking for a place in the area. I'm in an Air BNB for the week while my husband is back in the Bay, packing and cleaning.

And that's it! How's everybody else doing?
Buy some Cute Stuff and support this woman.

FirebirdNC
Mad Hatteras

Re: I was feeling nostalgic last night...

Post by FirebirdNC » Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:15 pm

All good here! Wow that was quite a ride! Sounds like you are adulting very well :) Moving is always a challenge. We are in the process of remodeling our house to sell and move out of the area in the next 1-2 years. I wish you luck in finding a place that suits you.
~Insert clever bon mot here~

Rorschach
Crazy Person

Post by Rorschach » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:58 am

Good Lord indeed. That's quite the surprise.

Hello. :) Good to hear from you. We're running something of a skeleton crew at the moment, but I feel it's only time before our rise to power once more.
To Let

BtEO
Crazy Person

Post by BtEO » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:16 pm

*waves*

FirebirdNC
Mad Hatteras

Post by FirebirdNC » Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:51 am

BtEO wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:16 pm
*waves*
And another country heard from :) I send you early birthday well wishes!
~Insert clever bon mot here~

BtEO
Crazy Person

Post by BtEO » Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:27 pm

Thank you.

Martin Blank
Knower of Things
Knower of Things
Omnicode: sxy cm163 kg76 eso.#_glasses sp= Ag1974.October anE hdd Zot RlM Kd1y PeC&C FHb IN14 PrPython(3)^(7)&C(2)^(5)&C++(2)^(7)&JavaScript(2)^(5)&Ruby(1)^(5)&PHP(2)^(5) GM-6DN LAEN(9)&ES(2)^(6)&EO(1)^(7) Crc(6).Security MvD BA! PlM

Post by Martin Blank » Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:43 pm

Once a forumite, always a forumite.

Well, unless you get banned.
If I show up at your door, chances are you did something to bring me there.

wocket
Crazy Person

Post by wocket » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:01 pm

Hello again, this time from Sacramento! Husband and I live in a 4 bed/2.5bath house with a roommate (who uses 2 of the bedrooms - 1 is her office for her freelance work). Our share of the rent is $600/mo less than what we paid in the Bay - but I'm melting in this heat.

We're talking about having a housewarming party this August that will coincidentally be around our anniversary. You're all invited, of course. 😛
Buy some Cute Stuff and support this woman.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:34 am

Wow, that’s really cool! Congratulations on the anniversary ;)
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

ShahinVahdat
Crazy Person

Post by ShahinVahdat » Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:09 pm

So funny to find this post. I, too, was feeling nostalgic for the old Real Life Forum days. Glad to see so many of the old crew still here. Just wanted to drop in and say I hope everyone is doing well!