2021-02-11 ownership

Talk about today's strip, or anything about the comic in general. You can also talk about any of the characters... but don't expect a response. They're FICTIONAL, you guys... sheesh. :)
τ > π
Crazy Person

2021-02-11 ownership

Post by τ > π » Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:02 pm

Your house: Never owned. Only rights: To use. Without interference. (Mostly.)

auntmousie
Crazy Person

Re: 2021-02-11 ownership

Post by auntmousie » Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:39 am

Speaking as a lawyer: The concept of "ownership" is always only a bundle of rights. Generally speaking, full-on ownership involves:
1) The right to possess;
2) The right to use;
3) The right to include or exclude others from use;
4) The right to sell.

If you have all fourof those, you have ownership.

I own my house in fee simple. Admittedly, I have a mortgage, but that doesn't interfere with any of the above rights unless I fail to make my payments. The bank cannot kick me out, nor tell me how many cats I can have, or how late I can stay up, or who I can or can't invite over. I can even sell my house, as long as I pay off my loan with the proceeds.

My property line extends to the middle of the street, so I have an easement implied by prior use (and in the public interest) for the last ten feet or so. But I have a fence, and when people cross my fence, I can tell them to fuck off. I have walls, and when people cross my walls without my permission (or, say, a warrant), I'm entitled to shoot them.

I own my house more truly than I own my car.
When all is said and done, more is generally said than is done.
Ask me anything - no, really - but be warned: I will answer. If you didn't want to know... don't ask.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Re: 2021-02-11 ownership

Post by Deacon » Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:02 pm

In Texas there is no privately owned property. It all belongs to the state, and you can buy and sell some of the rights to use it, but the land itself is leased to you at a continually increasing rate set by local bureaucrats in the form of property tax. It doesn’t matter how little or how much you make or even what your property is actually worth. They set a value they think you could get for your property if you were to sell it, and then they charge you a percentage as though you had sold it. And they raise it again next year and charge it again, and so on forever. So guess what happens when poor people who over the course of a couple generations have finally paid off their house only find rich people buying properties next to them? Even with caps in place, their bills increase, compounding-interest-style, at 10% year over year. Or literally unlimited increases if you didn’t file the paperwork correctly to put in place the cap. You don’t pay, and the government revokes your lease, seizes the property, and sells it off to wealthy people.

Ugh.

I realize that wasn’t the joke in the comic, or at least I assume it was lamenting the idea of renting vs buying. But still.
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922