2020-12-04 Girl that hair

Talk about today's strip, or anything about the comic in general. You can also talk about any of the characters... but don't expect a response. They're FICTIONAL, you guys... sheesh. :)
BigDamnHero
Redshirt

2020-12-04 Girl that hair

Post by BigDamnHero » Fri Dec 04, 2020 4:57 pm

I know the hair is the primary sign of how the transition is going, but I love it in today's comic.

I don't have much else to say other than that now I'm craving pepperoncinis too.

werefrog
Redshirt

Re: 2020-12-04 Girl that hair

Post by werefrog » Mon Dec 07, 2020 12:53 pm

And no joke about being unable to open the jar, either. Classy.
Semper Ubi, Sub Ubi

Seannery
Redshirt

Post by Seannery » Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:40 pm

Frankly, women are better jar-openers than men. Men have always gone for blind brute force, which works, sometimes, but tends to splash the brine and, once, shattered the neck. This is my experience. Meanwhile women, have always used their minds---clever tricks I make sure to learn, like the classic grip-cloth---that still requires the same brute force, but less slip---or my favourite, I've seen---never could repeat---is shimming a knife under lid, to twist it out off the neck, for air to enter; alternately---my favourite I've done---sometimes smacking under the jar.. an almost erotic elegance: spank, turn, enjoy.
Brought to you by Pickles Inconspirate.
Do tell me, always, in what way I'm not good.. I'm not used to silent tolerance.
liberté, égalité, muliebrité
τ > π wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 2:57 amOnward! To our selves. To the future.

Martin Blank
Knower of Things
Knower of Things

Post by Martin Blank » Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:53 am

Don't use a knife. Use a soup spoon, as they're stronger, and put pressure at the base of the bowl, or you can bend the handle out of shape. The idea is to just gently shift it so that some air can get in so you're just fighting friction instead of friction and vacuum. Also, dip it in warm (north of 104F/40C) water for a bit. This can expand the captured gases slightly and reduce the vacuum.
If I show up at your door, chances are you did something to bring me there.

werefrog
Redshirt

Post by werefrog » Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:38 pm

The Werefrog question the use of "better" in this case. Men are capable of a more simplistic approach to opening jars while women need to figure out a strategy in order to get it done.

One could argue that the straight forward apply more force is a better option than creating many alternate tools and workarounds to reach the same goal.
Semper Ubi, Sub Ubi

Martin Blank
Knower of Things
Knower of Things

Post by Martin Blank » Wed Dec 09, 2020 3:58 pm

Sometimes more force is fine, but if the lid is on a cold, well-sealed container (either at the factory or from gunk), it makes sense to take a different approach like a towel for better grip or a spoon to relieve vacuum. This isn't a Rube Goldberg thing. It's just having some practical knowledge and experience.
If I show up at your door, chances are you did something to bring me there.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:24 pm

ME MAN
ME MASH JAR
ME EAT JAR THINGS
ME HATE GLASS IN TEETH
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922