11/16/20 - . . . You know those walking teddy bears ATE people, right?

Talk about today's strip, or anything about the comic in general. You can also talk about any of the characters... but don't expect a response. They're FICTIONAL, you guys... sheesh. :)
Batman1016
Redshirt

11/16/20 - . . . You know those walking teddy bears ATE people, right?

Post by Batman1016 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:33 am

*LOL* I mean . . . title. ^ :D :lol: Ewoks ARE terrifying!

Like, I know a lot of people think Ewoks are stupid, but their first act upon encountering the Rebels was to attempt to cook them for dinner. Even when the Rebels had a "god" in their midst.

Pretty much the only reason they were initially harmless to the Empire is that they were just outgunned and never had the tribal unity to fight back en masse.

Basically like Native Americans . . . until they realized "hey, you know it's possible we COULD all get together and just WRECK this technologically superior enemy?" And then you get Custer's Last Stand.

. . . But beyond that, yes, the Mandalorian is AMAZING.

Have y'all watched "Clone Wars" and "Rebels?" (I'd figure, with kids, that would be a yes, but don't want to assume)
Last edited by Batman1016 on Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

werefrog
Redshirt

Re: 11/16/20 - . . . You know those walking teddy bears ATE people, right?

Post by werefrog » Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:11 pm

What's even more amazing is that Ewoks are incapable of using the force, but instead they have magic. The magic isn't the force, either. It's an entirely different thing. You can't get an Ewok Jedi, but you can get a frickin' Ewok Fire Mage.
Semper Ubi, Sub Ubi

Martin Blank
Knower of Things
Knower of Things

Post by Martin Blank » Sat Nov 28, 2020 6:16 am

Batman1016 wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:33 am Like, I know a lot of people think Ewoks are stupid, but their first act upon encountering the Rebels was to attempt to cook them for dinner. Even when the Rebels had a "god" in their midst. They were just outgunned and never had the tribal unity to fight back en masse.

Basically like Native Americans
Maybe it's just bad phrasing on your part, but while human sacrifice was a fact of life in some cultures, consumption of other sentient creatures was almost nonexistent beyond a bit of ritual cannibalism, such as eating a few bites of the enemy's heart. Evidence of any culture participating in cannibalism for anything other than ritual purposes is hotly contested, and even the most significant evidence may be the result of large-scale ritualistic cannibalism or survival cannibalism after a battle in times of limited food.
If I show up at your door, chances are you did something to bring me there.

Batman1016
Redshirt

Post by Batman1016 » Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:03 am

Martin Blank wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 6:16 am Maybe it's just bad phrasing on your part, but while human sacrifice was a fact of life in some cultures, consumption of other sentient creatures was almost nonexistent beyond a bit of ritual cannibalism, such as eating a few bites of the enemy's heart. Evidence of any culture participating in cannibalism for anything other than ritual purposes is hotly contested, and even the most significant evidence may be the result of large-scale ritualistic cannibalism or survival cannibalism after a battle in times of limited food.
Aaahhh, yeah, that would be a phrasing issue. Or at the very least, misinterpretation of the contextual referral point. Should have made the "outgunned and never had tribal unity" a separate sentence (which I have subsequently done, to avoid future confusion). Thought the context made it pretty clear THAT was what I was using as a point of comparison with the Native Americans, what with the whole immediately following Custer example. But yeah, I guess it could be seen otherwise.

No, in no uncertain terms, I was not implying ANY NA cultures were cannibals. I was merely solely comparing them to Ewoks in the "outgunned and ununited" sense. Wasn't even implying human sacrifice for that matter, since that tended to be more South American, and I was referring to more North American groups ('cuz again, Custer).

And further, just in case it wasn't clear . . . in this example, I'm saying WE'RE the Empire, and it's a shame we didn't get our Death Star blowed up. *LOL*

nosystemd
Redshirt

Post by nosystemd » Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:48 am

Batman1016 wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:03 am it's a shame we didn't get our Death Star blowed up. *LOL*
It would help a lot if we could even stop buying Sith Lord brand breakfast cereal and installing Empire OS on all our computers. Though I'm not sure exactly where that would put the comic. The broader point being that people make choices on a daily basis that help the empire at great cost to the citizens. I'm afraid that apathy is not far from the dark side of the force. And of course, the dark side has cookies.

Seannery
Redshirt

Post by Seannery » Wed Dec 02, 2020 5:11 pm

Hmm.. I think EmpireOS---better: ImpiriOS---would make a good name for a FOSS OS---ahem, sorry, couldn't resist saying those together like that---I mean, free/open-source operating system, because it'd give the user imperium over their own computer.
nosystemd wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:48 amI'm afraid that apathy is not far from the dark side of the force.
Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to pain, and suffering.. Pain and suffering, in mild doses, does tend to lead to apathy---just another aspect of the dark side D:
nosystemd wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:48 amAnd of course, the dark side has cookies.
I hear the Death Star has a Mrs. Fields. That's the trick: they say the dark side has cookies, but they never say you'll have to pay for them, until you're intoxicated by their power.
If it's worth anything, I read the Ewok / Native American analogy that way, about banding together against the empire / colonists---then I noticed you might've meant about eating people, but figured that unlikely.
Do tell me, always, in what way I'm not good.. I'm not used to silent tolerance.
liberté, égalité, muliebrité
τ > π wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 2:57 amOnward! To our selves. To the future.

nosystemd
Redshirt

Post by nosystemd » Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:51 am

Seannery wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 5:11 pm then I noticed you might've meant about eating people, but figured that unlikely.
I don't even go to the trouble of preparing other kinds of meat at home (only a small amount of cooking other than that) so unless they start offering it in burritos and sandwiches or on pizza, it is very very unlikely.