2020-11-10 questionnaire

Talk about today's strip, or anything about the comic in general. You can also talk about any of the characters... but don't expect a response. They're FICTIONAL, you guys... sheesh. :)
τ > π
Crazy Person

2020-11-10 questionnaire

Post by τ > π » Tue Nov 10, 2020 5:00 pm

How does sexual orientation affect hormone therapy?

Mae Dean
Forum Goddess
Forum Goddess

Re: 2020-11-10 questionnaire

Post by Mae Dean » Wed Nov 11, 2020 7:26 am

It doesn't. It's a standard intake form - it asks for a lot of different things.

Martin Blank
Knower of Things
Knower of Things

Post by Martin Blank » Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:49 am

I'm really interested in why they ask this question. Is there a medical reason for doing so? (I was going to ask if there was a pathological reason for doing so, but that felt weird. Adding this addendum because this is a safe place to do so.)
If I show up at your door, chances are you did something to bring me there.

Seannery
Crazy Person

Post by Seannery » Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:43 pm

Martin Blank wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:49 am I'm really interested in why they ask this question. Is there a medical reason for doing so? (I was going to ask if there was a pathological reason for doing so, but that felt weird. Adding this addendum because this is a safe place to do so.)
Interesting you were about to say it that way, because my guess was.. not exactly pathology, but that they're looking for correlations.. :-D Can't say about this treatment yet, but I always cancel `unnecessary' questions---I used to leave them blank, but once I saw someone filled them in without my permission---but if they insist I answer, I insist they explain it's relevance---sometimes they surprise me with a good reason.
I did a cursory web-search---the results were about the converse.. enlightening---I'd long thought one's own gender had nothing to do with the orientation, e.g. that heterosexual boys or homosexual girls were really gynosexual persons---but this seems to suggest that one's sexual orientation is, at least in part, relative to, at least some aspects of, one's own gender..
Do tell me, always, in what way I'm not good.. I'm not used to silent tolerance.
liberté, égalité, muliebrité
τ > π wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 2:57 amOnward! To our selves. To the future.

soch
Crazy Person

Post by soch » Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:15 am

Could it be relevant to an individual's long-term goals and desired sexual function? I'm trying to think of not horrible ways to collect information that might be relevant to a doctor making suggestions that might have long term effects, and I'm failing miserably to come up with anything better than "painfully obscure dancing around".

I don't know that a choice of hormone therapy would make any long term difference, and I don't know that it wouldn't. I'm just trying to come up with any reason why that might be relevant.

auntmousie
Crazy Person

Post by auntmousie » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:15 am

τ > π wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 5:00 pm How does sexual orientation affect hormone therapy?
A more difficult question is how hormone therapy affects sexual orientation. I'm unaware of any longitudinal studies, but from personal experience, my interest in the male of the species went from "no, thanks" to "well, maybe" when my brain started running on estrogen.

Still primarily/strongly female-oriented, but ... open-minded, in a way I don't recall being before.
When all is said and done, more is generally said than is done.
Ask me anything - no, really - but be warned: I will answer. If you didn't want to know... don't ask.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:58 am

auntmousie wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:15 am
τ > π wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 5:00 pm How does sexual orientation affect hormone therapy?
A more difficult question is how hormone therapy affects sexual orientation. I'm unaware of any longitudinal studies, but from personal experience, my interest in the male of the species went from "no, thanks" to "well, maybe" when my brain started running on estrogen.

Still primarily/strongly female-oriented, but ... open-minded, in a way I don't recall being before.
That’s a great point that never occurred to me.
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922