Oct 19, 2020: Night and Day

Talk about today's strip, or anything about the comic in general. You can also talk about any of the characters... but don't expect a response. They're FICTIONAL, you guys... sheesh. :)
Martin Blank
Knower of Things
Knower of Things

Oct 19, 2020: Night and Day

Post by Martin Blank » Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:54 am

Your paint mistakes fuel my wife's murals for 50 cents a pint.

Please keep screwing up.
If I show up at your door, chances are you did something to bring me there.

raptor9k
Crazy Person

Re: Oct 19, 2020: Night and Day

Post by raptor9k » Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:49 pm

I paint deer stands with earth tone mis-tints.

werefrog
Crazy Person

Post by werefrog » Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:44 am

The Werefrog don't understand how you can move into a house without first painting all the walls.

That was one of the first things The Werefrog did when buying the house of The Werefrog before The Werefrog moved in 10 years ago. Since then, only one room has been repainted, but of course, it also has new walls (the dry wall was removed 2 years ago and put back in 1 year ago: forget the fire nation, beware when the water nation attacks).
Semper Ubi, Sub Ubi

raptor9k
Crazy Person

Post by raptor9k » Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:37 pm

If the color is neutral and you like it well enough sometimes you just don't have the time or energy to paint.

The wife and I had exactly one weekend to move into our house due to work, the lease expiration date on our apartment, and the closing date on the house. To make matters worse, instead of moving the unit to the property manager's account, the power company disconnected service the day before our move date. I had to load our freezer into the back of our truck and leave it in my parent's drive plugged into an extension cord. It was 108 the next day and we had no AC at the apartment, and the AC at the house wasn't keeping up with us coming in and out because the thermostat kept resetting the desired temp to 80 every 2 hours. Then, the guest toilet and kitchen faucet decided to start leaking in the middle of it all. Worst part is, her parents had to buy the parts to fix the sink and toilet because we were tapped between deposits and closing. We were just traying to survive.

This thread brings back all kinds of fun painting memories...We had wallpaper adhered directly to drywall (no primer) in a few rooms. Don't ever do this. The drywall gets torn regardless of how you attempt to remove the paper. After skim coating the first bathroom and the foyer I ended up waiting over a year before I painted over the wallpaper in the kitchen and guest bath.

When she was about 7 months pregnant with our son I painted about 60% of the house in one go after work on a Friday. She went to her parents and her dad came up to help me. I cut in with a brush while he rolled for the first few hours. He passed out around midnight and I kept going till I finished at 3AM. We had pushed all the furniture to the center of the rooms and thrown plastic over it so I slept in a recliner for about 5 hours then got up and painted the second coat. It was mostly touch up since we were using the single coat paint + primer but it still took probably 3 hours to get it all finished. I was exhausted but happy to have it done before the kid arrived.

auntmousie
Crazy Person

Post by auntmousie » Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:31 am

werefrog wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:44 am The Werefrog don't understand how you can move into a house without first painting all the walls.
My walls are all brick and wood paneling - finished, but not painted.
When all is said and done, more is generally said than is done.
Ask me anything - no, really - but be warned: I will answer. If you didn't want to know... don't ask.

werefrog
Crazy Person

Post by werefrog » Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:59 am

auntmousie wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:31 am
werefrog wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:44 am The Werefrog don't understand how you can move into a house without first painting all the walls.
My walls are all brick and wood paneling - finished, but not painted.
The Werefrog repainted the wood paneled walls in the basement before moving in. Of course, the guy who owned the place previously had decided to paint over the wood panelling first.
Semper Ubi, Sub Ubi

nosystemd
Crazy Person

Post by nosystemd » Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:00 am

This turned into a long discussion on another forum about whether the colour was actually blue or green. I've had my colour vision tested, but more than that it isn't hard to get the information on the hue (along with the green and blue levels) from the comic using various paint programs.

At all times the ratio of green to blue stayed in the 89% to 92% range.

To me, that's teal. And given that red and blue are closer to the invisible wavelengths, and we have FAR more green receptors than blue, I think it's defensible that I consider teal to be in the "green family" more than the blue one. It's always "looked green to me".

But on the pro-Mae/comic defense side, there is a colour called "teal blue". And it's a "blueish teal." It was even a Crayola colour at one point, but it's more official than that.

If teal gets too blueish, it just becomes blue. So based on the RGB data alone, you could easily put "teal with more blue" (including 89 to 92% green:blue ratio) in the "teal blue" category, and I can't argue with someone saying that "teal blue is a kind of blue" because that's the definition of it.

Short version:

It still looks green to me, though I can give a good reason to call it blue, at least. Plus pigments aren't measured with RGB anyway, and unless the swatches came with hex triplets even the picture that went up yesterday won't settle this data-wise.