Mae's realization

Talk about today's strip, or anything about the comic in general. You can also talk about any of the characters... but don't expect a response. They're FICTIONAL, you guys... sheesh. :)
MarieNomad
Crazy Person

Mae's realization

Post by MarieNomad » Sun Sep 20, 2020 2:03 pm

Wow, not only does Mae realize that she's a trans but now she's a console player.

Seannery
Crazy Person

Re: Mae's realization

Post by Seannery » Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:18 pm

This comic page actually helped me a lot, because how arbitrary the distinction felt. I'd been cycling my thoughts back to the question of if I'm trans, and I kept asking myself whether this or that detail about me was about being trans or not, but this pushed me to realize I shouldn't worry about the word, and focus on the concrete things that those details are, rather than if they qualify me for the label. And soon after that it became obvious that those details all together, I'm trans. (Although it doesn't always feel that way.)
Do tell me, always, in what way I'm not good.. I'm not used to silent tolerance.
liberté, égalité, muliebrité

werefrog
Crazy Person

Post by werefrog » Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:56 pm

Yes, a computer that is designed for one singular function will perform that function better than a computer designed to handle multiple functions. Thus, console gaming (with a good console) is a better experience that PC gaming. Don't feel bad, Mae.

It actually reminds The Werefrog of an argument The Werefrog had well over a decade ago regarding self driving cars. The Werefrog stated The Werefrog wouldn't trust them. The main points of contention are things such as hacking or the time when you'd need something superior to a human in control, the cameras would be less than trustworthy (think snowstorm in north areas of US). However, the highly intelligent person on the other side simply stated that when humans create a machine to do one thing, it does that one thing very well. Likewise, a gaming console is designed to play games. Of course it's going to be designed to play games very well. A computer, on the other hand, isn't designed to just play games. It has other functions, so its inputs need to be more universal. This means it can work for games, but it also works for typing out your term paper. Have you tried typing out a term paper on a PS4 (or are they up to 5, The Werefrog don't know)?
Semper Ubi, Sub Ubi

auntmousie
Crazy Person

Post by auntmousie » Sun Sep 27, 2020 6:07 am

werefrog wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:56 pm
However, the highly intelligent person on the other side simply stated that when humans create a machine to do one thing, it does that one thing very well.
I keep thinking that the cell phone in my hand is a more powerful computer than all the ones used to fly the Apollo missions, put together. My actual laptop, of course, is embarrassed to sit on the same table with my phone... and most of its bulk is taken up by a screen and keyboard so that I can interface with it... i.e. things a self-driving car does not need.

So, taking the parts of my computer that actually crunch data... and extrapolating from that ratio of data-processing power to weight... it's really not difficult to imagine that a computer could be taught how to drive, in traffic, better than me.

What I worry most about is the transition, because the hardest thing to anticipate in traffic is other human drivers.
When all is said and done, more is generally said than is done.
Ask me anything - no, really - but be warned: I will answer. If you didn't want to know... don't ask.

Doc Giggles
Crazy Person

Post by Doc Giggles » Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:27 am

Want to know something extra scary? If you are old enough to remember those calculator watches, that alone had more power than the Apollo computers. The Space Shuttle and International Space Station run on a 386SX and the current space certified CPU is a ARM Cortex A53 500MHz quad-core processor that puts it around the level of a Raspberry Pi. The reason for this is that the smaller the traces are in the CPU, the higher the chance radiation will cause a crash. They have found that the smallest they believe a space CPU can have is 45nm. The last CPUs that Intel put out that would fit this is the 1st gen i5s and i7s, but they are too fast to be able to recover from a radiation caused error before crashing.

Tell your old laptop that it may be slow, but that fancy phone next to it wouldn't survive a trip to space.
Disciple of Gnarr
“Let there be truth, happiness, and waffles”
-Nomad, Dark Lord & Avatar of Gnarr

Seannery
Crazy Person

Post by Seannery » Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:13 pm

auntmousie wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 6:07 am
My actual laptop, of course, is embarrassed to sit on the same table with my phone... and most of its bulk is taken up by a screen and keyboard so that I can interface with it... i.e. things a self-driving car does not need.
Never thought it that way.. Autonav: small computer---bulky human-interface.
Word of the day: auto-automobile.
Do tell me, always, in what way I'm not good.. I'm not used to silent tolerance.
liberté, égalité, muliebrité

werefrog
Crazy Person

Post by werefrog » Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:22 pm

auntmousie wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 6:07 am
werefrog wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:56 pm
However, the highly intelligent person on the other side simply stated that when humans create a machine to do one thing, it does that one thing very well.
So, taking the parts of my computer that actually crunch data... and extrapolating from that ratio of data-processing power to weight... it's really not difficult to imagine that a computer could be taught how to drive, in traffic, better than me.

What I worry most about is the transition, because the hardest thing to anticipate in traffic is other human drivers.
The Werefrog am more concerned with the times The Werefrog would really want the computer in charge would be snowy/icy roads. However, the slush on the road would easily cause problems to any cameras involved, so The Werefrog don't trust them for that time. Of course, if you don't normally drive in such conditions, such as you live where 2 inches of snow shuts your city down, then self driving cars would be a good thing.
Semper Ubi, Sub Ubi

TeddyMarinaro
Crazy Person

Post by TeddyMarinaro » Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:39 am

Doc Giggles wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:27 am
Want to know something extra scary? If you are old enough to remember those calculator watches, that alone had more power than the Apollo computers. The Space Shuttle and International Space Station run on a 386SX and the current space certified CPU is a ARM Cortex A53 500MHz quad-core processor that puts it around the level of a Raspberry Pi. The reason for this is that the smaller the traces are in the CPU, the higher the chance radiation will cause a crash. They have found that the smallest they believe a space CPU can have is 45nm. The last CPUs that Intel put out that would fit this is the 1st gen i5s and i7s, but they are too fast to be able to recover from a radiation caused error before crashing.

Tell your old laptop that it may be slow, but that fancy phone next to it wouldn't survive a trip to space.
Ooooh, Calculator Watches! I loved those things, but my favorite were the ones that could control anything with an IR Receiver. Oh the mischief...

That said, I got into MMORPGs with FFXIV BECAUSE it was a console. Rather than feeling like I was stuck at my desk like I was at work, I could sit on the couch with a cold one, my controller and a bluetooth keyboard and just jam. Ever since then I've been finding the joy of console gaming over PC gaming, save for some specific games that just play better on PC (I'm looking at you, Diablo).

auntmousie
Crazy Person

Post by auntmousie » Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:17 am

werefrog wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:22 pm
The Werefrog am more concerned with the times The Werefrog would really want the computer in charge would be snowy/icy roads. However, the slush on the road would easily cause problems to any cameras involved, so The Werefrog don't trust them for that time. Of course, if you don't normally drive in such conditions, such as you live where 2 inches of snow shuts your city down, then self driving cars would be a good thing.
I live in Portland, OR.

It doesn't take two inches.
When all is said and done, more is generally said than is done.
Ask me anything - no, really - but be warned: I will answer. If you didn't want to know... don't ask.

Doc Giggles
Crazy Person

Post by Doc Giggles » Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:22 am

I live in Utah. People don't even slow down for 2 inches of snow.
Disciple of Gnarr
“Let there be truth, happiness, and waffles”
-Nomad, Dark Lord & Avatar of Gnarr

Rorschach
The Immoral Immortal

Post by Rorschach » Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:11 am

auntmousie wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:17 am
I live in Portland, OR.

It doesn't take two inches.
It does in Glasgow.