09/09/20 - Orville Envy

Talk about today's strip, or anything about the comic in general. You can also talk about any of the characters... but don't expect a response. They're FICTIONAL, you guys... sheesh. :)
Batman1016
Crazy Person

Re: 09/09/20 - Orville Envy

Post by Batman1016 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:58 am

(And honestly, don't come at me with Rotten Tomatoes. It's long been regarded as a completely useless metric for quality (It arbitrarily draws a positive/negative line on any given review, rather than taking the review on its merits), and if you want to use ANYTHING, use Metacritic. I've been relying on MC for years, and it hasn't steered me wrong yet.

Incidentally - on MC? The Orville - 35. Lower Decks - 59. Hrm. Weeeeeird. :D )
*LMAO* Oh, Metacritic? Okay, sure! You're right, I was only going with one source, could be biased! Let's see, the claim was that Trek fans seem to prefer Orville over ST:LD. So, let's see what the general fan community is saying over on Metacritic:

Orville User Score - 8.7

ST:LD User Score - 4.4

No no, do go on how Metacritic is SUCH a better metric when the audience reaction is almost identical to the audience on RT. *nods sagely* :lol: C'mon, cite ALL the stats, not just the part that backs your side!

Seriously though as I said in the OP, I'm just being snarky, not actually "coming at you" I promise. And I really got no problem with ST:LD. I've watched the whole season, and it's . . . eh? Fine. Fun. Not all that on-board with its style of humor, but I don't dislike it. And I'll keep watching, I'll give the whole show a fair shake.

I guess what I'm wondering is . . . have you given the same to Orville? You watch it all? Just curious. Or just a few eps and stopped 'cuz you didn't latch on right away. 'Cuz (and I acknowledge this is purely observational, I could be totally wrong), it comes across like a "it's not Star Trek so I can't like it, boo" line in the sand, and I find that . . . odd. And disappointing, 'cuz I think you might be missing out on a really good, fun show.

But again, could totally be wrong, and if it's just not your thing . . . fair enough. :) *shrug* No hard feelings.

Mae Dean
Forum Goddess
Forum Goddess

Post by Mae Dean » Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:28 pm

I've seen every episode of Orville, the night it aired. I watch it religiously. I WANT IT TO BE BETTER. It has so much potential, and it occasionally realizes it (The last few episodes of S2 were great!) but it so often falls completely flat that it's hard to deal with.

LD kept me enthralled all the way to the end of the season. And the beginning of S3 of Discovery is SO freakin' good.

Batman1016
Crazy Person

Post by Batman1016 » Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:51 am

RE: Orville - Okay, fair enough. :)

RE: Discovery S3 - Well, we can definitely agree on THAT point. I genuinely liked S2, and now that we're finally in uncharted Trek territory, i.e. the far future (I simply never bought into the premise that a ship as advanced as Discovery was running around the cosmos in 2250), I think the whole premise works a HELL of a lot better now. Love the mystery, love the reduced reliance on space battles, love the character developments. And that Vulcan, sorry, Ni'Varran logic tribunal was classic non-violent Trek philosophical combat in the best of the grand tradition!