09/09/20 - Orville Envy

Talk about today's strip, or anything about the comic in general. You can also talk about any of the characters... but don't expect a response. They're FICTIONAL, you guys... sheesh. :)
Batman1016
Crazy Person

09/09/20 - Orville Envy

Post by Batman1016 » Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:47 am

I mean, I'd hate to disappoint Liz, so sure, I'll open this can o' salt! Here Mae, let me help you with those fangirl beer goggles . . . . :lol:

Aaaannd Rotten Tomatoes says . . . Orville = 65%, Lower Decks = . . . also 65%. Wow, yes, what a huge leap in quality STLD has over Orville.

Wait, what's the audience score? Orville = 94%, Lower Decks = 35%?? BWA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA!!! Gee, I wonder which one MOST Trekkies are standing behind . . . .

No no, but seriously, I actually liked STLD just fine. Liked it better when it was Futurama and Rick & Morty and Final Space and Solar Opposites, but still, I liked it fine.

As for The Orville, no, the show Orville wishes it was was STTNG. STLD is the show Orville wishes overly derisive Trekkies who won't accept it on its own terms would stop thinking it's supposed to be trying to be.

And yeah, it might be a long wait for the next season, what with corporate buyouts and media platform transfers and creator schedules and plagues and all the other chaos, I'll give you that. But hey, long waits for new content is certainly something Orville fans share with Trekkies. AND fans of this comic, for that matter! :D

DISCLAIMER: Hope all of the above is received in the "FRIENDLY ribbing" spirit in which it is intended. Not hostile, just snarking back. :)

Rorschach
The Immoral Immortal

Re: 09/09/20 - Orville Envy

Post by Rorschach » Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:21 am

You Americans.

There is only one true Orville. A tragic figure who encapsulates all the inherent self-doubt and loathing so inherent in human nature.

See here how his colleague/captor gaslights him in front of a silently-horrified group of witnesses. Which of us has not been Orville in our time?

To Let

Doc Giggles
Crazy Person

Post by Doc Giggles » Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:49 am

If I remember right, Seth MacFarlane pitched The Orville as a Star Trek show, but they turned him down because they didn't want his brand of humor on a Star Trek show. He took his idea to Fox and they gave him the green light. He hasn't given up his dream of making a Star Trek show though. He and NBC were in talks with CBS to buy Star Trek at the beginning of the year, but he said they wanted too much.

It's surprising what a couple of years does to what they would allow in Star Trek.
Disciple of Gnarr
“Let there be truth, happiness, and waffles”
-Nomad, Dark Lord & Avatar of Gnarr

Roundtop
Crazy Person

Post by Roundtop » Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:55 pm

As someone who has watched both....

Rick and Morty did it better.
Orville did it better.
Futurama did it better.

Lower decks isn't great. It is alright, but it so routinely devolves into not-trek, even more than Orville ever did, just to tell a [not so] funny joke.
The whole episode 5 about
Spoiler: (click to reveal/hide)
mariner obsessing over boimler
was just over the top. It would have been fine for a 5 minute gag, not the entire episode.

TomXP411
Crazy Person

Post by TomXP411 » Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:19 pm

I'm enjoying the show, but I'm not a fan of juvenile humor. The first two episodes really put me off... and this last episode had potential, but I really, really hated Boimler in this one.

I just do not like the Rick & Morty/Solar Opposites style of humor - and I like the show when it's not leaning too hard into the dumb humor. But so far, that's only two out of the five episodes I've seen.

The trouble is... the same can be said for The Orville. At its best, it is really good science fiction. But some epiosdes rely too much on the humor to drive the episode, and those fall flat for me. And if we have to sit through one more thinly veiled social commentary in the form of a Moclus episode, I'll scream.

I think both shows are enjoyable to me at their best... and annoying at their worst.

TomXP411
Crazy Person

Post by TomXP411 » Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:29 pm

Roundtop wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:55 pm
As someone who has watched both....

Rick and Morty did it better.
Orville did it better.
Futurama did it better.

Lower decks isn't great. It is alright, but it so routinely devolves into not-trek, even more than Orville ever did, just to tell a [not so] funny joke.
The whole episode 5 about
Mariner obsessing over Boimler
was just over the top. It would have been fine for a 5 minute gag, not the entire episode.
I actually liked that part. What I hated was
Boimler being a complete moron. I get that the plot needed him to be incompetent as a lover for the story to work but I still think that could have been handled much, much better.
For me, the low point (so far) was
The drunk Klingon on the shuttle who crapped on his own sword.
That did not amuse me. At all.

Something that's starting to bug me.... Why is Mariner so protective of Boimler? Like, obsessively so. Aside from annoying the command staff, protecting Boimler (and making things worse in the process) seems to be her primary motivation.

auntmousie
Crazy Person

Post by auntmousie » Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:02 pm

TomXP411 wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:19 pm
The trouble is... the same can be said for The Orville. At its best, it is really good science fiction. But some epiosdes rely too much on the humor to drive the episode, and those fall flat for me. And if we have to sit through one more thinly veiled social commentary in the form of a Moclus episode, I'll scream.
Um... did you even watch the original Trek? Thinly-veiled social commentary was the entire point.
When all is said and done, more is generally said than is done.
Ask me anything - no, really - but be warned: I will answer. If you didn't want to know... don't ask.

werefrog
Crazy Person

Post by werefrog » Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:37 am

The Werefrog might take a free sample of that streaming to watch lower decks. However, nothing about any previews or reviews of it really make it seem that exciting to The Werefrog.

However, apparently you can buy Klingon Blood Wine from startrekwines.com. Not to advertise, but just thought that was neat.
Semper Ubi, Sub Ubi

mysecret
Crazy Person

Post by mysecret » Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:56 am

Rorschach wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:21 am
You Americans.

There is only one true Orville. A tragic figure who encapsulates all the inherent self-doubt and loathing so inherent in human nature.

See here how his colleague/captor gaslights him in front of a silently-horrified group of witnesses. Which of us has not been Orville in our time?

They'll never understand, he just wanted to fly! ;(

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:55 pm

auntmousie wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:02 pm
Um... did you even watch the original Trek? Thinly-veiled social commentary was the entire point.
I was thinking the same thing!
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

werefrog
Crazy Person

Post by werefrog » Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:46 am

Deacon wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:55 pm
auntmousie wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:02 pm
I was thinking the same thing!
Problem is, Discovery wasn't thinly veiled. It was beat it over you head social commentary.
Semper Ubi, Sub Ubi