Does everyone experience this or just me?

Talk about today's strip, or anything about the comic in general. You can also talk about any of the characters... but don't expect a response. They're FICTIONAL, you guys... sheesh. :)
mysecret
Crazy Person

Does everyone experience this or just me?

Post by mysecret » Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:57 am

When I load the daily comic, sometimes the notice under the comic is updated and sometimes it shows one from September 10th 2018?

Rorschach
The Immoral Immortal

Re: Does everyone experience this or just me?

Post by Rorschach » Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:06 am

Yeah, I've so gotten used to seeing an old update that I don't even bother checking any more. I had just assumed there were no new updates. Had oan the noo...

Okay, I've just checked. September 10th 2018.
To Let

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:58 pm

mysecret wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:57 am
When I load the daily comic, sometimes the notice under the comic is updated and sometimes it shows one from September 10th 2018?

If you go to www.reallifecomics.com it will show that old update. If you navigate to any specific comic, it will have the transcript for that comic under it instead. If you follow a permalink directly to the latest comic, such as clicking the link in social media, it’s just like navigating to a specific comic, where the transcript shows underneath it.

Basically if you go to the actual comic homepage, it will show any updates or blog posts or whatever you call it. Any other page or method will have the transcript.

For example, here’s the link to today’s comic, for 1 September 2020: https://www.reallifecomics.com/comic.ph ... ber-1-2020

Compare that to just going to the comic homepage.
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

TomXP411
Crazy Person

Post by TomXP411 » Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:14 pm

And, of course, the transcripts allow for web searches of the comic based on its dialog. So remember to thank Mae for going to that extra effort. I can't think of many webcomics that do. =)

mysecret
Crazy Person

Post by mysecret » Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:48 pm

cheers all :)

Martin Blank
Knower of Things
Knower of Things

Post by Martin Blank » Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:40 am

Mae is dealing with some oddities associated with the site. The underlying code hasn't been updated since [checks notes] 1853, so there may be some issues with rendering current content.

Web coding has changed a lot in the last decade. I used to add mods to phpBB on a fairly regular basis, but the modern architecture is hard for me to follow. WordPress, on which RLC is based, is even more complicated.
If I show up at your door, chances are you did something to bring me there.

auntmousie
Crazy Person

Post by auntmousie » Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:59 pm

Martin Blank wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:40 am
Mae is dealing with some oddities associated with the site. The underlying code hasn't been updated since [checks notes] 1853, so there may be some issues with rendering current content.
That antebellum code is some gnarly stuff, even apart from the hardwired institutional racism. <ducks>
When all is said and done, more is generally said than is done.
Ask me anything - no, really - but be warned: I will answer. If you didn't want to know... don't ask.