Baby Names

Talk about today's strip, or anything about the comic in general. You can also talk about any of the characters... but don't expect a response. They're FICTIONAL, you guys... sheesh. :)
werefrog
Crazy Person

Baby Names

Post by werefrog » Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:27 am

Why is it the pregnant one always seems to understand what makes a better name in fiction?

How could Mae not immediately make the Jimmy Dean connection. Granted, it may be that James Dean won't be known by the kids where this one goes to school, but Jimmy Dean definitely would. And then, give the kid an unusable middle name like Tiberius? Seriously, who names their kid Tiberius? Where does that name even come from (apologies if Tiberius is actually a beloved uncle or grandfather or such of the actual people upon which this comic is made)?
Semper Ubi, Sub Ubi

raptor9k
Crazy Person

Re: Baby Names

Post by raptor9k » Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:25 pm

James Tiberius Kirk from Star Trek.

FirebirdNC
Mad Hatteras

Post by FirebirdNC » Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:40 pm

werefrog wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:27 am
Seriously, who names their kid Tiberius? Where does that name even come from (apologies if Tiberius is actually a beloved uncle or grandfather or such of the actual people upon which this comic is made)?
10 Points will be deducted from your nerd card.
~Insert clever bon mot here~

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:05 am

This may have been the first time in a long time I actually chuckled out loud at the comic :D
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

Ventris
Crazy Person

Post by Ventris » Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:01 pm

SO and I were pregnant with our second child. We had an online baby name list to make suggetions, vote, etc.

I added Muad'dib on a lark.

Somehow the code didn't like the ' and she could not delete it. She did not appreciate the humor I found in the entire situation.

Martin Blank
Knower of Things
Knower of Things

Post by Martin Blank » Sat Aug 29, 2020 4:59 am

FirebirdNC wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:40 pm
werefrog wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:27 am
Seriously, who names their kid Tiberius? Where does that name even come from (apologies if Tiberius is actually a beloved uncle or grandfather or such of the actual people upon which this comic is made)?
10 Points will be deducted from your nerd card.
You are generous. I would have deducted at least 10,000 points. This isn't even Nerd 101. This is remedial Nerd.

My wife and I didn't decide on the first child's first name until maybe seven months, and then the middle name was decided I think a few days before he was born (to be fair, he was born seven weeks early). The middle name was initially ruled out by my wife, but it sounded good with the first name, so it won out.

We had the first name of the second child around seven months (with an increased risk of premature birth on our minds) and the middle name came I think a couple of weeks before his 39th-week C-section.
If I show up at your door, chances are you did something to bring me there.

auntmousie
Crazy Person

Post by auntmousie » Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:59 am

Never had kids. But our last several cats have been Alita, Daenerys, Fred and George (ginger toms), Alice, Ripley... there um, might be a theme here.
When all is said and done, more is generally said than is done.
Ask me anything - no, really - but be warned: I will answer. If you didn't want to know... don't ask.

BtEO
Crazy Person

Post by BtEO » Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:00 pm

Fred and George are now excellent female protagonists. :D

I have neither babies nor cats. But all of my tech is named after video game characters. I'm typing this on D.Va.

Norphus
Crazy Person

Post by Norphus » Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:05 pm

The pop culture reference that Parker brings to my mind is the Thunderbirds :)