Welcome, Mae.

Talk about today's strip, or anything about the comic in general. You can also talk about any of the characters... but don't expect a response. They're FICTIONAL, you guys... sheesh. :)
BtEO
Crazy Person

Re: Welcome, Mae.

Post by BtEO » Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:15 pm

As I think about it one of my favourite things has been just seeing how wide this went — I see it ended up in a Gail Simone retweet today. While there are some places I'm totally unsurprised it showed up, basically everywhere I frequent has had it pop up more than once (and often with the "wow, I remember reading that" refrain.) Thankfully I seem to have made good choices in where and with whom I associate as it's never not been positive.

I guess the unavoidable fact of the various haitus' over time had perhaps dulled my idea of how popular the comic was.

On a less fun note, another common thread was "I used to read so many web comics until Google Reader got shut down" and man… fuck Google for that move.

Elemental
Crazy Person

Post by Elemental » Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:36 am

Welcome, Mae! I've really appreciated you sharing this journey through the comic. It's expanded my world view considerably, and for that I'm grateful.
Oh look, it's Christmas again!

Mae Dean
Forum Goddess
Forum Goddess

Post by Mae Dean » Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:58 am

BtEO wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:15 pm On a less fun note, another common thread was "I used to read so many web comics until Google Reader got shut down" and man… fuck Google for that move.
That put the kaibosh on some of the comics I had been keeping up with, too - none of the other RSS readers worked as well for me, so I kind of just fell off the bandwagon. :(

Martin Blank
Knower of Things
Knower of Things

Post by Martin Blank » Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:03 am

Holy cow, two admins online at the same time!
If I show up at your door, chances are you did something to bring me there.

Norphus
Crazy Person

Post by Norphus » Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:58 am

Mae Dean wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:58 am
BtEO wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:15 pm On a less fun note, another common thread was "I used to read so many web comics until Google Reader got shut down" and man… fuck Google for that move.
That put the kaibosh on some of the comics I had been keeping up with, too - none of the other RSS readers worked as well for me, so I kind of just fell off the bandwagon. :(
Feedly scratches that itch for me. I originally used it because I wanted to use Reader with an app, then when Reader went EOL, Feedly itself turned into a fully fledged RSS Reader. Possibly it’s not as powerful as Reader was but it works well enough for me.

Rabidmuskrat
Crazy Person

Post by Rabidmuskrat » Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:15 pm

Norphus wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:58 am
Feedly scratches that itch for me. I originally used it because I wanted to use Reader with an app, then when Reader went EOL, Feedly itself turned into a fully fledged RSS Reader. Possibly it’s not as powerful as Reader was but it works well enough for me.
It's what I use as well, and it's how I knew this was updating again.

lifedeath
Crazy Person

Post by lifedeath » Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:43 pm

That was so heartwarming.
I won't lie, this has been weird :D. But at the same time, so, so wonderful. And great to know...
Been following your reallife life for 2 decades and... well... no words, just love. <3

Thank you for keeping us a part in your journey, and all the best in your, finally more free, life. :_D

All the best Mae!!!
All the best to you and your family!
Give Life a real.....

Some Egrets
Crazy Person

Post by Some Egrets » Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:37 pm

Oh wow yeah, same. I'm really behind on so many good things and I really miss Reader. Maybe I should look into one of those self-hosted RSS deals? I know a lot of people moved to Feedly after Reader went offline, but it never really did it for me, for whatever reason?

It's been harder to discover new comics to read, too I think? A lot of creators would link to or talk about other comics they enjoyed in posts and it was a good way to sort of branch out. I think part of it, too, is older comics going on hiatus, fading out, or interests just changing, but without new things to replace them, it's easy to just read fewer and fewer over time.

raptor9k
Crazy Person

Post by raptor9k » Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:06 pm

I went to Feedly from Reader but Feedly has recently introduced sponsored links that show up as unread articles at first glance. Time to start looking around for a replacement...

DWolfman
Crazy Person

Post by DWolfman » Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:19 am

Just signed up to also say: Welcome, Mae! Been a long time reader of the comic, loved every one of them.

I definitely was floored when I read through those comics. And while I'm also one that can't truly relate, I do welcome the insights that you gave me. Thank you for being so open about it.

Now, for some help with others on the RSS reader front. I also was pissed at Google for killing Reader. After that I found a self-hosted option in Tiny Tiny RSS. Ran that for a while on my own linux server here, but had to find another option when my workplaces started blocking access to home/dynamic IP address ranges. Ended up trying a few like were mentioned here, then tried out The Old Reader. Been on that one for a while on the free version, but I'm about to the feed count limit for that. So been considering going back to Tiny Tiny RSS.

Which, of all these I've tried, Tiny Tiny RSS is the only one that can pull in the current Dilbert comic and show the comic in the feed, in spite of what they do at the Dilbert page and the feed to make you go to the page to see it. :)

DyreWolf
Crazy Person

Post by DyreWolf » Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:24 am

Welcome Mae!

I just wanted to say how glad I am that you're making comics again, and how much I've loved your introductory story line. Your conversations in your psyche were beautiful and it filled me with joy to watch it play out. RealLife was one of the very first webcomics I started to follow back in the early 2000s. You probably got me started into following webcomics and have always been one of my absolute favorites. But I've never gotten too much into posting on forums so I only just finally registered so I could welcome you. In 2002-2003 I started to come out as gay and found my true self with the help of supportive friends and family, and wanted to pay that love forward. I'm so happy for you for finding your true self, and look forward to getting to know you again through your comics going forward.

freeculturepami
Crazy Person

Post by freeculturepami » Wed Aug 19, 2020 6:53 pm

I've been recently introduced to this comic , and I'm really enjoying the storyline right now .

DuneChild
Crazy Person

Post by DuneChild » Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:13 pm

I am also a long-time reader, and it had been quite a few months since I even checked to see if there were any new comics. I deleted FB over a year ago, and did not think to follow Mae anywhere else.

Fortunately, the day I checked in was last Tuesday, so I was greeted by a picture of an antique cabinet instead of a spoiler! As I began catching up, I was very moved by the conversation between Greg and Mae, and it gave me a fresh perspective on how my kid must have felt before he came out as trans. Sadly, his husband was far less accepting than Liz, but I never really liked him much anyway.

Thank you, Mae, for sharing so much of your journey with us over the last 20 years! Looking forward to 20 more!