Observations from an Archive Re-Read

Talk about today's strip, or anything about the comic in general. You can also talk about any of the characters... but don't expect a response. They're FICTIONAL, you guys... sheesh. :)
keozen
Crazy Person

Observations from an Archive Re-Read

Post by keozen » Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:34 am

So, I've been re-reading the archives and am approaching comic 2000 already. I think a few other people are doing so too as Mae is back soooooo I thought I'd pop a thread up for some random thoughts on random past strips.

My first is this...

As a Brit, Reading https://reallifecomics.com/comic.php?comic=title-1890 I just *Cried in Brexit*.
Spoiler: (click to reveal/hide)
Matt
"The answer to a question nobody asked."

keozen
Crazy Person

Re: Observations from an Archive Re-Read

Post by keozen » Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:01 am

Ahhhhhh Damnit! I've been winning for years, YEARS!!!!
https://reallifecomics.com/comic.php?comic=title-1920
Matt

Kersus
Crazy Person

Post by Kersus » Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:55 pm

https://reallifecomics.com/comic.php?comic=title-664

On the original website, Greg (am saying Greg since talking about the character in the comic in a historical context, rather than cartoonist. I hope that's right!) ends up nailing up a sign over the logo that says "Completely fictional life". But that doesn't exist anymore since the layout has been updated a handful of times!

nosystemd
Crazy Person

Post by nosystemd » Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:17 am

Kersus wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:55 pmam saying Greg since talking about the character in the comic in a historical context, rather than cartoonist. I hope that's right!
I'm personally just using "the cartoonist" until something becomes official. At the moment "Greg" seems like the wrong name somehow, but I'm more than happy to refer to the cartoonist by whatever name is preferred. And I don't know if that will take time, which is alright, or if this will garner an official response.

I won't deny being excited about the prospect of using the new name. I used to know someone who only went by a female name a few times a month. People vary on these things. It's all good.

Kersus
Crazy Person

Post by Kersus » Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:39 pm

Yeah, it just added a bit of a layer of confusion when I made the post since we have Mae the cartoonist and now Mae the comic character. Whom in the actual comic as of that date is being called Greg by the other characters. Though I also know dead naming is a big deal and not a great thing to do. (though it doesn't help that in the current arc there is a Mae and a Greg manifestation existing at the same time having a conversation)

Future generations who are reading this post, please know that I am a good person! (well Im alright....) who wished to do the right thing!

TomXP411
Crazy Person

Post by TomXP411 » Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:42 pm

Kersus wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:39 pm Yeah, it just added a bit of a layer of confusion when I made the post since we have Mae the cartoonist and now Mae the comic character. Whom in the actual comic as of that date is being called Greg by the other characters. Though I also know dead naming is a big deal and not a great thing to do. (though it doesn't help that in the current arc there is a Mae and a Greg manifestation existing at the same time having a conversation)

Future generations who are reading this post, please know that I am a good person! (well Im alright....) who wished to do the right thing!
I don't think it's dead naming until Greg comes out and explicitly says "Please call me Mae(by?)"

Ok, I couldn't pass up the chance for the pun.

But since the comic still says (c) 2020 Greg Dean, and he hasn't actually come out, we shouldn't presume anything at this point.

After all, this could still just be a college research project, after all. Or not. I'm not taking a side on whether he's coming out or this is just educational, but he has not actually yet asked the world to call her Mae. or Maelyn. So until that happens, there's no reason to change how we refer to him.

Rorschach
The Immoral Immortal

Post by Rorschach » Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:06 pm

‘dead naming’.

I had assumed that was a typo.

You learn something new every day.
To Let

TomXP411
Crazy Person

Post by TomXP411 » Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:10 pm

Ah, so things have been happening on Twitter. I should have suspected there was a Twitter.

https://twitter.com/maegodhavemercy/sta ... 0289559553

keozen
Crazy Person

Post by keozen » Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:40 am

I think that until Mae states purposefully somewhere her preferred naming scheme for past instances of herself then I'm going to stick to Mae & She/Her for referring to her no matter when the comic she wrote was published. How to handle one's deadname and previous self is very personal and I've known a few people with very different preferences so I'm going to err on the side of caution to be respectful. Yes that causes some weirdness in the brain sometimes as "The Cartoonist" has been a major character over the years but hell, life is a bunch of wierdness and if it was all a lot more simple then we'd already be living our best selves without the need for difficult discovery.
Matt

Kersus
Crazy Person

Post by Kersus » Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:11 pm

What I think is the most important thing to take away from this conversation, is that after returning to the forums after a decade, is that I have immediately returned to my old habits of derailing any and all forum threads from their original topic.
Rorschach wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:06 pm ‘dead naming’.

I had assumed that was a typo.

You learn something new every day.
Oh yeah I am super up and up on all of the terminology. I have this consistent group of 5-6 online buddies I've hung around with over several years. One by one they've all come out as trans. I think I am the last hold out at this point.

One way or another, Mae has been pretty chill about the whole thing so far. I guess not many people have the unique situation as she does, where they have a comic with characters personifying themselves in various states at the same time. Either way I'm glad she's back at the wheel and hope this inspires her to keep at it and makes her happy.

keozen
Crazy Person

Post by keozen » Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:06 am

Kersus wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:11 pm Either way I'm glad she's back at the wheel and hope this inspires her to keep at it and makes her happy.
This is the important bit right here :3
Matt

Norphus
Crazy Person

Post by Norphus » Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:09 am

keozen wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:34 am So, I've been re-reading the archives and am approaching comic 2000 already. I think a few other people are doing so too as Mae is back soooooo I thought I'd pop a thread up for some random thoughts on random past strips.

My first is this...

As a Brit, Reading https://reallifecomics.com/comic.php?comic=title-1890 I just *Cried in Brexit*.
There are plenty of things you can blame on Brexit but you can't blame that thing on it. That comic was written in 2007, when the Labour government was still in power and not long before the global financial crisis when the pound was very strong. When the crisis hit, the pound took a dive against both the euro and the dollar.
Last edited by Norphus on Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

keozen
Crazy Person

Post by keozen » Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:10 am

The Clan Dean discussing gaming past during the lockdown as predicted in 2009:
https://reallifecomics.com/comic.php?comic=title-2177
Matt

keozen
Crazy Person

Post by keozen » Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:22 pm

Norphus wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:09 am
There are plenty of things you can blame on Brexit but you can't blame that thing on it. That comic was written in 2007, when the Labour government was still in power and not long before the global financial crisis when the pound was very strong. When the crisis hit, the pound took a dive against both the euro and the dollar.
Yeah, it was sitting around 1.55 to the dollar still before brexit though. I pulled the more contempory reference out.
Matt