2018-10-15 Show Ranking

Talk about today's strip, or anything about the comic in general. You can also talk about any of the characters... but don't expect a response. They're FICTIONAL, you guys... sheesh. :)
Greg Dean
Forum God
Forum God

Re: 2018-10-15 Show Ranking

Post by Greg Dean » Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:08 pm

Lord help me, I'm venturing once more unto the breach.

OK, let's address some points, some of which I've addressed here, some of which I've addressed elsewhere.

1) The Spore Drive/DASH Drive
This one is fairly simple. You keep using its existence as some kind of PROOF they broke canon, but that just doesn't make ANY sense. And the main reason is that you're coming at this from the completely wrong perspective - you're assuming they're doing the prequel thing and saying "HERE IS HOW THIS BIT OF TECH CAME ABOUT", when it's clearly more along the lines of "Here is some tech that was experimented with, and then abandoned, and here's WHY." The seeds of this have already been sown - it's DEMONSTRATED that the DASH drive has computing requirements that can't be done without a biological interface, and specifically one who has bits of the Tardigrade DNA to assist. Yes, Stamets CAN do this, but just because the drive functions doesn't mean it's viable long-term. It's hurting Stamets to use, and it's possible that using it is damaging the mycelial network. You can BANK on the fact that over the course of Discovery, the DASH drive is going to be abandoned.

This isn't even the first time this kind of thing has happened - in the TNG episode "Force of Nature", it was discovered that warp travel was harmful to certain areas of space, and the federation imposed a speed limit of Warp 5, and it wasn't addressed until Voyager introduced Variable Geometry Pylons to counteract the effect. Tech gets abandoned when it's discovered to be harmful. Also, let's address another "where did it go" tech: The Transwarp Drive from Star Trek III. It only failed because Scotty sabotaged it - what happened to that? The absence of a mention of it doesn't mean it couldn't have existed. And again, there's reason to suspect Discovery is (in a limited way) under the purview of Section 31, so the knowledge of the drive might well be classified.

2) Spock/Burnham
Again, I must point out that the absence of a mention of something does not mean ANYTHING. Case in point: I have (had?) a stepsister. I've never mentioned her before here, I've only mentioned her maybe 2 or 3 times to my wife, I haven't seen her in 25 years, and I LITERALLY forget she existed most of the time. She lived with us for about 5 years when I was 10-5 or so, and she would have been 7-12 during that period. She was a complete monster to my sister, and a spoiled piece of crap in general. I don't miss her, I never think about her, and I seriously mentally edit her out of most of my childhood. And yet, were you to do a biography of me, she'd HAVE to be there. It's literally a perfect analog of Spock and Burnham. It's made clear in "Desperate Measures" that the relationship between Burnham and Spock prior to the events of the pilot episode are, at best, STRAINED. Spock has animosity towards Michael because she had the favor of Amanda Grayson, and he blames her for his strained relationship with his parents. Furthermore, in "Lethe" it makes it clear that Sarek had to make a choice as to whether Michael or Spock would go to the Vulcan Science Academy, and he chose Spock... who then spurned that decision and chose to go to Starfleet Academy instead. So of COURSE Sarek would be pissed. But his reaction towards Spock in "Journey to Babel" is a bit much taken at face value. That's why it was so awesome that Lethe clarified it.

3) Replicators
The food synthesizers shown in the galley are analogous to the ones shown on the Enterprise in TOS. Virtually the same kind of thing. Replicator tech was in existence as far back as Enterprise, as even a quick look at Memory Alpha would show.

4) Holodeck
You didn't even MENTION this one, but it should be noted that while holodecks of the quality used by the 1701-D crew weren't as good before that time, the TOS Enterprise had a "recreation deck" shown in the animated series that was essentially a holodeck. Something like it was seen as far back as Enterprise as well. Also, the holodeck as shown in Discovery wasn't perfect - it had visual glitches, and it didn't mimic the realism of the 1701-D holodeck (touch/smell/sound/etc.), it was basically a glorified shooting gallery. Perfectly in-line with tech for the time period.

5) Holographic Communications
ANOTHER one I'll give you for free - this one doesn't have strict precedence, BUT it also doesn't clearly break canon, either. While holograms of the quality seen on DS9 weren't possible at the time, basic hologram technology would have existed (see the above comment about the rec deck), so it stands to reason BASIC holographic comms would be commonplace. This is in-line with the visual update that we've talked about earlier.

At no point did ANY of these items break canon. But even if they DID, TOS itself violated canon, even from episode to episode in the same SEASON. Enterprise violated TOS canon when it showed the captain of the Columbia being a woman (remember Turnabout Intruder, where Janice Lester makes an offhanded comment about "Your world of starship captains doesn't admit women"? WELL? How do we explain that, then? I mean, there's lots of ways to explain it, but it's easier if we just admit that SOME canon isn't as important as other canon.)

I defy you to show me an ACTUAL example of any point at which Discovery BROKE or VIOLATED existing canon. Star Trek is my drug of choice. I know it well. And if I caught something that would make me go "WAIT NO", I'd say so - but nothing they did in the first season in ANY way violated existing canon from TOS onward in any meaningful way. (meaning, in any way that TOS didn't violate canon ITSELF)

You wanna argue canon with me, you gotta bring your A-game. :)

FirebirdNC
Mad Hatteras

Post by FirebirdNC » Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:08 pm

~Insert clever bon mot here~

werefrog
Crazy Person

Post by werefrog » Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:26 pm

The Werefrog don't care about canon. If anything, Discovery could be in the universe altered by Vulcan being destroyed. It could be another alternate altogether. The Werefrog was annoyed that Enterprise broke canon a few times, but they explained it as the differences caused by the Borg going back in time.

The Werefrog don't watch Discovery for 2 important reasons:
1. The Werefrog don't feel like paying for a streaming service to a network that previously was one of the non-cable (as in free to watch but you get ads) networks.
2. Non of the previews of Discovery or reviews of Discovery led The Werefrog to believe it would be a show The Werefrog would enjoy.
Semper Ubi, Sub Ubi