Open Thank You Letter to Greg Dean

Talk about today's strip, or anything about the comic in general. You can also talk about any of the characters... but don't expect a response. They're FICTIONAL, you guys... sheesh. :)
DoveArrow
Crazy Person

Open Thank You Letter to Greg Dean

Post by DoveArrow » Thu Jul 02, 2015 4:34 pm

Hey Greg,

I'm a long time lurker who has been reading the comic since August of 2003. (I remember because it was shortly after I got married.)

I don't know what you're going through right now, but it sounds like things have been pretty difficult as of late. About all I know is that Liz has told other posters you want to pretend like the forums don't exist right now, because it's just too difficult to read their negative comments. I can respect that. That said, I hope she shares this with you, because I want you to know that these last 12 years have been wonderful for me. I love reading every new comic that you post and I'll continue to enjoy the comic as long as you decide to keep posting them. And if, at any time, you decide that it's time to retire the comic, I'll still be happy that you've given me so many happy memories.

I feel like in a way I've been a part of your life. I've seen you go from gasing up airplanes to being a chef to being a father. I've watched your characters fight each other with mech robots, fall into parallel worlds while rummaging for tape adapters in their car's back seats, and build grand space stations high above the Earth all in the name of "real life."

I don't know what the future holds for the comic. I don't know when the next update will be. If it's never, that's okay, because it's been a great ride and I'll always remember what you provided to me without ever asking for anything in return. If it's tomorrow or next month or next year, well just know that I'll be there to read it and every comic that comes after. Take care.
"A Buddhist monk walks up to a hot dog vendor and says 'Make me one with everything.'"

Robin Williams (Bicentennial Man)

ONiNoKen
Crazy Person

Re: Open Thank You Letter to Greg Dean

Post by ONiNoKen » Fri Jul 03, 2015 4:02 pm

+1

lifedeath
Crazy Person

Post by lifedeath » Sat Jul 04, 2015 10:57 am

+1
:D
Give Life a real.....

viva la photobucket

Rorschach
Crazy Person

Post by Rorschach » Sat Jul 04, 2015 11:50 am

lifedeath wrote:+1
:D
She haunts me. I see her in empty rooms. Hear her voice in the silence of night. See her posting in the comic and characters forum.
To Let

Nova
Crazy Person

Post by Nova » Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:25 pm

I have only one negative thing to say..

Give me more of your comic to read. I have always enjoyed it, and after a few weeks I do look to see if that part of California is still there (didn't fall into the ocean), or that there wasn't a Greg Dean killed in some kind of AI rebellion, etc.

I have read this comic so long I went through school, got married, had kids, and it is one of the only ones that I still check every day. I used to read the swords comic when you mentioned them, I joined the STO group and others. I enjoyed this place for a long long time, there are so many things that occurred. I hope you continue this comic, or we will find you and make you draw lots of comics like that old comic marathon you used to participate in. In any event, I hope we see more of your work on here. I remember seeing you say something like you always wanted this to be a daily, well even if its not a daily, it's worth checking and reading. Anyway, I want to concur with the original poster and simply say I enjoy your comic, it's worth coming and checking every day for a new one.
The End is My Beginning

primal force
Crazy Person

Post by primal force » Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:20 am

Thank you for all the years of entertainment Greg. Thank you Liz for supporting him all these years while he has kept this labor of love going even through the others things he's done with his life. And thank you both for letting Harper be an adorable part of all this. One day be it today or 10 years from now, the comic will probably have to fall to the wayside and be a part of your past. Until that day and forever after I'll cherish these stories. The shirt-ninja will forever be a part of me, and my own drunken escapades.
Thank you Greg, both in Real Life and real life.

shaggy2000
Crazy Person

Post by shaggy2000 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:00 pm

I agree Greg has done some amazing comics, however I feel he's starting to realise that life with a family can and will get in the way of, well, pretty much everything.

Personally I think he needs to take a step back and look at his life and decide what's important, if he cant maintain both then perhaps it may be time to drop the comic and concentrate what's really important, his family. I mean of late it seems that we're getting more and more comics taking the piss about why he hasn't done comics for a while.

Silencedlemon
Crazy Person

Post by Silencedlemon » Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:00 pm

Is there any way Greg could out source some of the comic stuff to fans to help ease the load? I would be willing to learn coding if it meant seeing more of you guys....

Also maybe more tdm :D

Either way thank you Greg and liz for years of enjoyment. My only wish is for you guys to get bigger and bigger.

document
Crazy Person

Post by document » Thu Jul 09, 2015 6:23 am

I do not post often, but well stated. Thanks, Greg.

Dreamer
Crazy Person

Post by Dreamer » Thu Sep 10, 2015 7:11 pm

Okay, okay... Yeah. Me too...
And who am I, ya know? I never bought anything. Not gonna lie. I've mooched off all the entertianment sicne... Okay, let me think. I started reading in...
I think 2004? Waht does my icon say over there to the left? Does it say 2004? I'll know after I submit this post. Psh...

And I had the pleasure of hanging out with Greg and Liz a couple times. With them and Deacon, too. And poking their turtles (not a euphamism).

Dean? Ya done good.

EDIT: Apparently I understimated my fandom. Over 12 years...
My sig would have contained the secret of life, but I'd already clicked submit.

skiltao
Crazy Person

Post by skiltao » Thu Nov 24, 2016 12:55 am

I don't remember when I first started reading Real Life Comics.

I do remember that when I got up to strip 2912, I joined the forum to make this post. So I was really tickled to see strip 2927 - I don't know if it was inspired by my post (which had been hidden for two weeks to preserve the surprise :D), or if someone else beat me to it, but it was great. Thanks Greg for that, and for the years of comics before and after it. :)