2014-09-08 mmMMmmm...burgers...

Talk about today's strip, or anything about the comic in general. You can also talk about any of the characters... but don't expect a response. They're FICTIONAL, you guys... sheesh. :)
gogogadgetearl
Redshirt

2014-09-08 mmMMmmm...burgers...

Post by gogogadgetearl » Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:32 pm

So...given the RLC audience is typically an audience of geeks...I thought I would share the chronicles of a burger geek: The Burger Lab. The thing I love about The Burger Lab is the guy who writes it (Kenji) takes a fairly scientific approach to recreating recipes and discovering what makes something taste like it does or cook like it does (see the American Cheese and McD's Fries articles linked below).

In particular, you should check out: What's interesting is that Kenji actually recommends NOT manipulating the beef (seasoning/massaging flavor in) in a burger before cooking it. He strongly recommends being as gentle as possible with the beef and never "hard-packing" it so that the "fat pockets" can best release their flavor while cooking. You can read more about why in the World's Best Burger for a Single Man (or Woman) article linked above. Of course...that recommendation comes in an article for for pan/griddle burgers, not grill burgers like it seems Greg was talking about in the comic. But it's an interesting concept to consider regardless.

Enjoy your geek-burgers, folks!! :D

gogogadgetearl
Redshirt

Re: 2014-09-08 mmMMmmm...burgers...

Post by gogogadgetearl » Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:53 pm

Looks like I left out the most-relevant-to-the-comic link: Salting Ground Beef

geekoid
Redshirt

Post by geekoid » Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:51 pm

Good meat does not need garlic and onion salt.
When eating a burger, it should taste like meat.
Use ~ to denote snarky comments.

ijuin
Redshirt

Post by ijuin » Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:07 am

I'm going to have to disagree on the salt there--most folks consume way too much salt as it is. The other seasonings are fine though.