June 14, 2013: Facial hair for the fair-haired

Talk about today's strip, or anything about the comic in general. You can also talk about any of the characters... but don't expect a response. They're FICTIONAL, you guys... sheesh. :)
SevTiZ
Redshirt

Post by SevTiZ » Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:42 pm

About ten years ago, I tried going without shaving for three months or so. I wound up looking like Neelix from Star Trek: Voyager, only patchier. :oops:

DoctorJest
Redshirt

Re: June 14, 2013: Facial hair for the fair-haired

Post by DoctorJest » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:18 pm

I am blessed with easy beardage, which I inherited from my father. Which is good, because with careful trimming it allows me to pretend that I have a chin.

bvilletrav
Redshirt

Post by bvilletrav » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:29 pm

Don't worry, I can't grow a beard to save my life either. I can go months without shaving at all and just end up with a small patch on my chin, and that's about it. My mustache is just a caterpillar, and then i have a few token random hairs here and there that need dealt with now and then as well.

spikegirl7
Redshirt

Post by spikegirl7 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:09 pm

Fair-haired people with beards are HOT. But then again, my guy is a red-bearded man who refused to shave for five months so I'm partial.
'What is morality?'
'Judgment to distinguish right and wrong, vision to see the truth, courage to act upon it, dedication to that which is good, integrity to stand by the good at any price.'

DoctorJest
Redshirt

Post by DoctorJest » Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:49 am

I have a crazy beard. My hair is dark brown, but my beard seems to be All Colours Except Black, and can tend towards being quite red at times. The family seems to think that comes from my grandmother, who was Scottish. At a distance it looks similar to my hair, but up close it's a positive hair spectrum.

DoctorJest
Redshirt

Post by DoctorJest » Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:29 pm

I feel, too, there should be a careful consideration of the appropriate beard-mass for the situation. Excluding any requirements based on work (such as you can't work the meat counter with a beard, or we don't hire dudes who look like serial-killing recluses), in broad strokes, the question of Beard or No Beard can often be answered with this simple check. Does your [wife/girlfriend/boyfriend/other prospective bed-sharing partner if you play your cards right] prefer:

a) George Clooney in Ocean's Eleven, or:
b) George Clooney in The Perfect Storm?

My wife was a firm B-camper. She never thought much of him until she saw The Perfect Storm, and reacted to that with "Huh, he is good looking after all!", and as such I am forever in the beard camp. However, further experimentation has yielded further, more precise information, allowing me to use a tiered beard-trimmer to optimise the effect. In approximate beard length, we have:

None: "Weird, you look like someone else, grow your beard back already."
0.25 to 0.5": Sweet spot. Accents facial shape to avoid head looking like a goddamn ball, makes me look More Manly. Optimum range for number of times wife describes me as "hot".
0.75": Just outside the sweet spot, but workable with a thirty-second trim now and then.
1" to 1.25": Untidy. Requires at least shaving of neck to make me look passable.
1.5" to 2": A goddamn mess, I look like the town drunk. "Hot" is no longer a commonplace adjective, and "you need to trim your beard" has become a daily refrain. Trimming of neck now only succeeds in making me look like a hillbilly going to a wedding.
Over 2": "So when did you decide to embrace your monkey roots?"

I suspect that there also comes a point at "over one foot" at which point all beard perception becomes "wizard", which would be pretty cool. However, I have always fallen prey to the over-2" barrier.

(Also, on a separate hair-related note; now that my hair is thinning, its wild sense of independence has begun to exert itself more thoroughly. Once my hair length passes a certain point it simply adopts interesting sculptures in the night, so that my wife compared me recently to an Oompa-Loompa. I have since had my hair cut.)

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:08 pm

DoctorJest wrote:0.25 to 0.5": Sweet spot.

1" to 1.25": Untidy. Requires at least shaving of neck to make me look passable.
Whoa whoa whoa, you're growing a half inch beard without shaving your neck (i.e. below the jawline)?
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

DoctorJest
Redshirt

Post by DoctorJest » Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:39 am

I trim my neck when I get annoyed by it, that's pretty much my approach there. I don't have any fixed schedule for it. Right now, my beard is in the shaved-neck and 0.25" state. But because I don't start from no-beard-at-all, generally speaking, the neck's always somewhat behind the rest.

Right now, though, with this heatwave sweeping in, long beards and hairy necks are definitely out.

TheUnpredictable
Redshirt

Post by TheUnpredictable » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:14 pm

My girlfriend loves beard. So I´m only allowed to trim it once a week. It took me a while to get used to it but now I quite like it. Makes me look older. Before the beard everyone thought I was 17 but I´m 27... So I like beard! ;)
“Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.” (John Lennon)

Rorschach
The Immoral Immortal

Post by Rorschach » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:03 pm

TheUnpredictable wrote:My girlfriend loves beard.
So I like beard! ;)
Ahuh...ahuh...huhhuh...huh...

Maybe you have to be Scottish.

Anyway, I came on here for a reason, not simply to cry 'Show's yer beard!' at all the forum ladies. What was it...oh yes:

Fill your ginger boots
To Let

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:24 pm

I'm down. I love a hot ginger. Even just a cute one. It makes me want to make babies with her. I'm not 100% sure I understand why gingers.

Then again, it can be said of cute Latinas, cute Asians, cute blondes, cute brunettes, cute black girls, all of it. It turns out maybe I have a thing for hot ladies.
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922