GREG DEAN IS A THIEF!!!

Talk about today's strip, or anything about the comic in general. You can also talk about any of the characters... but don't expect a response. They're FICTIONAL, you guys... sheesh. :)
invinciblehashi
Redshirt

Re: GREG DEAN IS A THIEF!!!

Post by invinciblehashi » Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:05 pm

I think that, well, aside from him not returning the refunds in due time...

I'm not sure where I was going with that, however, given that I have been drinking, I may pose an odd argument [if it is an argument at all]

Figurines are really tough to make. Usually a person's best bet is to hire a company in China to make everything you want. Depending on the company, tthat can take months to resolve, and the expenses can really, really add up, along with hoping said company is legit and that you didn't just do a bank transfer of a ton of money to a fake company that exists to scam people. Refunds may be in order, yes, and Greg should perhaps keep better lines of communication, of course, but... try and feel for the guy, I guess?

This seems to have been a long-running issue, so I cannot really comment on it more so, but forum-goers, try and understand that if Gred did make a big mistake, he may feel as though he let his hardest-core fans down, and that is really tough t communicate.

Greg, your comic has delighted me for ages. You bring joy. That is saying a lot, given the state of everything, really. Should there be massive problems, or even minor ones, I think your forum-goers deserve the blunt truth as to what's going on, and plans on how to rectify it.

Jaybo
Redshirt

Post by Jaybo » Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:29 am

EDIT nevermind
Last edited by Jaybo on Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RL is back?!

Doc Giggles
Redshirt

Post by Doc Giggles » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:49 am

Gregs lack of updates will do far more than this little thread when it comes to getting people to stop reading his comic.
Disciple of Gnarr
“Let there be truth, happiness, and waffles”
-Nomad, Dark Lord & Avatar of Gnarr

Jaybo
Redshirt

Post by Jaybo » Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:56 am

I wonder what ever happened with all this?
RL is back?!

AccidentReport
Redshirt

Post by AccidentReport » Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:53 am

Jaybo wrote:I wonder what ever happened with all this?
Little to nothing. Greg doesn't read the forum, that much is obvious. I think anyone has pretty much given up on refunds, books or figures if they never got one. Hell, since the start of the year he's barley made any comics. There should have been somewhere around 145 comics by now. He's actually published 23. That's not even one a week! Hell, he's only managed 5 in the last 3 months!

All of this has been "backed up" by various excuses about work and family and who knows what else. I've said it before, people have less issues when they are informed than when they are kept in the dark. I read other comics where the artist (and by this i mean someone who draws each comic from scratch on paper, not reuses backgrounds and character s from others) has had illness and deaths in their direct family and still put out more content than Greg. Anyone who still considers this a daily web comic is kidding themselves. Right now this site makes me laugh for only one reason...Greg's belief that anyone really still gives a shit.

Don't get me wrong, he has had some legitimate reasons and issues but his pure lack of disclosure and refusal to comment or even reply to direct emails has created such bad blood that it's probably beyond repair now. It's a shame as this was the first web comic I ever came across, and in its prime was an excellent site with great stories and wonderful merch (I still have and use my shirt ninja mouse mat). Unfortunately that is all gone now.
From your friends at CLITORIS :D
"The Committee for the Liberation and Integration of Terrifying Organisms and their Rehabilitation Into Society."

Dudereally
Redshirt

Post by Dudereally » Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:08 pm

Just joined to say that I have been reading Reallife for an ungodly amount of time. I was a child/young teen when the comic started, I'm not sure exactly how old, but I'm 28 now so it has been a real long time.

I decided to check the board to see if there was any update about the lack of comic updates and instead I found this thread.

While I am not one of the people affected, this has soured me on Dean, and I will never read his comic again. I simply will not support someone who steals from his most adamant supporters and doesn't have the decency to apologize and explain the situation.

He may rationalize it as an unfortunate set of circumstances or something like that, but it is simply theft.

His comic never really made me laugh out loud but it was a consistent form of mild entertainment and that has a value of its own. It hasn't been anything close to consistent lately, but I was willing to give him a pass since the comic is free and he has a busy family and work life. But now I find out that for a select group of people who were big enough fans to actually want memorabilia, the comic wasn't free, they paid Dean and got nothing for it.

I guess it could be argued they supplemented readers like me who got the comic for free, which would be fine, had that been what they signed up for.

Anyway, that is my first and last post here. If you happen to be reading Mr. Dean (I doubt it, but if you are) I sincerely hope you turn things around and make things right with your fans. I know your comic never got to the point where you were able to quit your day job, but you spent an ungodly amount of time building a community and a reputation since 1999, it would be a shame for you to be remembered for this after all of that.

Good luck.

Promatim
Redshirt

Post by Promatim » Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:46 am

So a lot of people are wondering, "how do we contact the Deans?" Isn't Seams Geeky also them? They seem pretty active, tweeting, posting, etc, at least until July or so.

I think it would be only fair to let their clientele know that they are buying towels from people who have a history of accepting money for books/figurines and then not delivering. If you want a way to reach the Deans, that seems to be the only corner of the internet where they're still active.

Even if none of you are planning on pursuing legal recourse, you all might want to make a mailing list or something, and get organized. That way, if the Deans are going to have a vendor booth at a con, you could email that convention and say, "hey, just so you know, we're a couple dozen people who are still owed product by these folks."

Arres
Redshirt

Post by Arres » Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:25 pm

Can we get this thread locked with a disclaimer: Noone here cares and the Deans don't come here anymore. Yes we know it says RealLife at the top. No, we still don't care. Yes, we understand you're still butthurt 5?10? years later over $100. No, we still don't care.

Incidentally Promatim, I SUSPECT that Seams Geeky is it's own LLC. While the behavior of the operators in past enterprises(RL) was shady at best, they're still a just a family of people trying to move the fuck on with life. I suggest you find a way to do that too. Obsession isn't good for you.
Sheldon wrote:For the record, I am waaaay an adult. Like, super-way.
The Ponynati said:You cannot escape us. You cannot stop us. Soon all the world will bow down to the power of ponies.
The Cid wrote:...the text message is the preferred method of communication for prepubescent girls. Bunch of grown men sending digital paper airplanes to each other. Give me a break.

Doc Giggles
Redshirt

Post by Doc Giggles » Fri Aug 07, 2015 12:58 am

I agree. It's time to just let it go. Coming here and whining over and over again for years just makes you all look a bit.... nuts.

Give it up. The only people who see this stopped caring long ago.
Disciple of Gnarr

werefrog
Redshirt

Post by werefrog » Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:27 am

It's one thing for the family to move on. However, if they received money for goods or services that were not delivered, they should refund said money or send said goods or services.

Granted, The Werefrog wasn't here during the entire fiasco, nor do they owe The Werefrog anything for any reason. However, that doesn't remove the moral obligation of those who profited without cause.

Although, those who were wronged could take this as a lesson to not give so much time when money is involved, and when purchasing online, purchase through a method with buy protection. Not that this excuses the merchant, but 'tis a good lesson to remember.
Semper Ubi, Sub Ubi

Doc Giggles
Redshirt

Post by Doc Giggles » Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:50 am

The key is that whining about it here isn't going to do any good. And yes, I do see it as whining after this long. It's just beating a dead horse long after it was ground up for dog food. It may make a person feel better, but they just look like a fool kicking the cans in the dog food aisle.

Time to get a life and move on.
Disciple of Gnarr

Mav
Respect the Wang

Post by Mav » Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:32 pm

Greg Dean came into my yard and kicked my dog. Now it needs an operation.
Arc_Orion wrote:<Arc_Orion> Mav is like a very interestingly informed six year old.

FirebirdNC
Mad Hatteras

Post by FirebirdNC » Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:38 am

Mav wrote:Greg Dean came into my yard and kicked my dog. Now it needs an operation.
You are going to have to wait your turn, my dog glanced at a comic and is now barking at everything and peeing on the floors.
~Insert clever bon mot here~

Rorschach
The Immoral Immortal

Post by Rorschach » Sat Aug 29, 2015 5:05 pm

I'm abandoning the comic entirely and sinking all of my feels into this strip about the dog that sleeps on top of his kennel. That looks like it has potential.
To Let

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:35 pm

Will he double as a WWI fighter pilot ace?
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922