GREG DEAN IS A THIEF!!!

Talk about today's strip, or anything about the comic in general. You can also talk about any of the characters... but don't expect a response. They're FICTIONAL, you guys... sheesh. :)
sneaky ninja
Chun Li!
Chun Li!

Re: GREG DEAN IS A THIEF!!!

Post by sneaky ninja » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:00 pm

Seriously, if he really did take all these people's money, how hard is it to just file a law suit or take it to small claims or something? I mean, you all know who he is and where he lives and what he does. He's not a mysterious internet entity who will see this thread and all of a sudden refund everyone's money. Pick up your feet, you guys!

Jezebel
Soapy's Choice

Post by Jezebel » Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:41 pm

To file a class action would take a lot of time and effort because you have to have a certain amount of people and you have to get in contact with all of those people. Someone would have to be running it. Additionally, filing a personal law suit against him would cost more than you would get in return. Court fees alone would be more than that. In some cases that is rewarded as part of the judgement, in some cases not. It's also possible it's past the statue of limitations.

Doc Giggles
Redshirt

Post by Doc Giggles » Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:37 am

I've been watching this for a long time. I just don't get it. Maybe I just don't care enough, or it's not important enough to me to waste the energy to yell about. I preordered the book. I'm not going to feel too hurt if it doesn't show because I've enjoyed the comic I got for free all these years. Will I order anything else from Greg? Not very likely.

Could be that my "I don't give a damn anymore" feeling is just how I deal with all this so it doesn't drive me nuts. It could be because I know Greg doesn't come here anymore and complaining here wont do any good. Or I'm just weird. Take you pick.
Disciple of Gnarr
“Let there be truth, happiness, and waffles”
-Nomad, Dark Lord & Avatar of Gnarr

sneaky ninja
Chun Li!
Chun Li!

Post by sneaky ninja » Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:23 pm

Well, Doc the whole thing is weird :P

Anyway, good to know that if I ever wanted to start a life of (petty, petty) crime, I could get away with it to a certain point.

Jezebel
Soapy's Choice

Post by Jezebel » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:27 pm

Yeah, it really comes down to "is it worth the effort." I preordered the fancy version of book 2 for like $50 I think? I dunno. It was a good 5 years ago and any legal recourse is not even remotely worth it. I could probably contact Greg personally, but at this point it really isn't worth it to me. The money is gone either way. I might get it back if I put some effort into it, but if not I lose time and money. It's a sunk cost. I totally understand why people are upset and raising a fuss though.

Xan
Redshirt

Post by Xan » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:44 am

And this is why you have class action.
Or go to small claims court. It's not a big effort (Only for those across the pond).
I dont like "Megatokyo" anymore - so sue me!

darcerin
Redshirt

Post by darcerin » Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:28 pm

Good to see that Greg his priorities in order, because, you know, Final Fantasy is just SO much more important than fixing your issues with your customers. :roll:

Get that lawsuit rolling, folks. It's the only way he'll probably sit up and take notice at this point.

Doc Giggles
Redshirt

Post by Doc Giggles » Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:27 pm

I see people talking about it but no one is willing to do the work. If you so want to sue him, then sue him. Bitching about every little thing he does on a forum that he doesn't check anymore isn't going to do anything to change things.

Could it be that most people that he owes just don't care anymore? I know I don't. What I do care about is the whining I see here from people that are not willing to step up and do the work.
Disciple of Gnarr
“Let there be truth, happiness, and waffles”
-Nomad, Dark Lord & Avatar of Gnarr

Jezebel
Soapy's Choice

Post by Jezebel » Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:32 am

http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/ ... er9-2.html

Unless you live in California, it is absolutely not worth suing him over it. I doubt this would qualify under any of the exceptions.

You could possibly, I guess, draft up a letter of intent to sue (or whatever) and send it to him via snail mail (if you had his address) in the hopes that it would encourage him to act.

If you would like to initiate a class action lawsuit here is some good advice on doing so: http://www.millslawfirm.com/classaction.html

My time is more valuable than the time I would spend with a lawyer even consulting on any of these matters.

Rorschach
The Immoral Immortal

Post by Rorschach » Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:53 pm

I guess it's about the principle now. I'd be pretty peeved if it were me. Not for the loss of money, just for the general piss-taking. Although:
Doc Giggles wrote:Bitching about every little thing he does on a forum that he doesn't check anymore isn't going to do anything to change things.
is a pretty salient point.
To Let

Jaybo
Redshirt

Post by Jaybo » Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:25 am

Honestly maybe he should take a break for 6 months. I can't remember the last time I laughed at one of his comics anyway, and as you can see I've been around a long, long time.
RL is back?!

Rorschach
The Immoral Immortal

Post by Rorschach » Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:49 pm

Jeez, I don't think I've ever seen a wider post:time ratio.

Nice lurking, Jaybo. <tiphat>
To Let

UFOs8MyCat
Redshirt

Post by UFOs8MyCat » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:59 pm

Bah. I thought I might've had him beat, but I joined a year later and have 15 more posts :happyroll:
GENERATION 5: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and increment the generation by 1. Consider it a social experiment.

Peter
Redshirt

Post by Peter » Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:20 pm

{redacted}
Last edited by Peter on Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FirebirdNC
Mad Hatteras

Post by FirebirdNC » Sat Sep 28, 2013 2:14 am

I think the forums have been about the people who come here for quite a while. The Deans sadly seem to have no interest in the forum anymore.
~Insert clever bon mot here~