2-10-2012 - I HAVE AN INFANT.

Talk about today's strip, or anything about the comic in general. You can also talk about any of the characters... but don't expect a response. They're FICTIONAL, you guys... sheesh. :)
gogogadgetearl
Crazy Person

Post by gogogadgetearl » Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:56 pm

I hate to be the one that tells you this, Greg....but things never "settle down eventually".

Think of all the events/activities/stress going on in your life like Everest -- with the most stress & goings-on occurring at the peak. Now, having your first child is like first stepping above the tree line...you have a lot more to go before things start settling down.

That said, I can't blame you for the lack of comics because I totally understand. I really do miss them...but I totally understand. :)

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:16 pm

Those who purport themselves to be professional or at least professional grade cartoonists don't wait to create the cartoon the day it's supposed to go out but rather bank a number of them so they're ready to go even if the cartoonist doesn't feel up to the task of creating at that point in time.
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

Jirin
Crazy Person

Re: 2-10-2012 - I HAVE AN INFANT.

Post by Jirin » Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:25 pm

I totally understand missing comics because of an infant, but I could do without the comics yelling that you're missing comics because you have an infant. :)

gogogadgetearl
Crazy Person

Post by gogogadgetearl » Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:02 pm

Deacon wrote:Those who purport themselves to be professional or at least professional grade cartoonists don't wait to create the cartoon the day it's supposed to go out but rather bank a number of them so they're ready to go even if the cartoonist doesn't feel up to the task of creating at that point in time.
I'm not disagreeing with your statement, but I'm hesitant to consider Greg a professional cartoonist since I don't believe it's his primary means for earning a living.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:24 pm

It's not due to a lack of intent...
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

Batman1016
Crazy Person

Post by Batman1016 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:01 pm

Didn't you already do this comic? :D

SoloButterfly
Crazy Person

Post by SoloButterfly » Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:31 am

Maybe it's time to consider knocking the comic down to officially being only 2 or 3 times a week. Less stress for you, potential regular comic schedule for readers. And maybe time to work on other comic related things on days when you aren't needing to write/draw the comic.

coru
Crazy Person

Post by coru » Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:22 pm

Maybe it's just me, but the tone of this comic is pretty...mean. And aimed at readers. Basically 'fuck you, how dare you say anything when I don't do what I have promised?'

Now, the fuck you is totally justified to people who suggest that the comic is in any way more important than *actual* real life, but it's a pretty decent compliment when people notice and miss your absence.

The Cid
Crazy Person

Post by The Cid » Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:43 pm

Frankly, I imagine that Harper is more mature than some of the posters in this thread. It's a consistently good comic that is available at absolutely no cost. Some of us appreciate that RLC doesn't feel thrown-together or rushed because of some "promise" about updating every day.

Effen internet. Can't people just appreciate stuff they like anymore?

Keep up the good work, Greg.
Last edited by The Cid on Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hirschof wrote:I'm waiting for day you people start thinking with portals.

Jamie Bond
Agent 0.07
Agent 0.07

Post by Jamie Bond » Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:44 pm

wtf guys....

Are you seriousy taking it personally that someone starting a family might not have his free comic at the top of his priorities?
"Go get the Happy!"

Rorschach
Crazy Person

Post by Rorschach » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:55 am

I blame the Tories.
To Let

NickGXZ
Crazy Person

Post by NickGXZ » Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:54 am

Lucksi wrote:No, I think people are more upset about the constant broken promises -and by now complete silence- on the things they paid for, like the statuettes, book 2, the subscriber comics, the subscriber booklets and the donate-drive sketches.
Pretty much this.

As a complete onlooker of the situation, ya all have my sympathies.

To those who don't know: Scroll down in "The Comic and The Characters" forum (the one you're in) and find the threads posted about the Figurine, Fan Group program, and Book 2. There is quite a bit of 'problems' that have been rearing their ugly heads that have some folks here on edge.

I sense a lot of reserved hostility as well with all this. As with many situations I've seen similar in emotions like this pop up, I only see this going further down hill. The reason I say this is that there are many who have put their own cash in to these projects Greg has started (Such as the Figurine, Fan Group, and Book 2). A great many of whom are pretty flustered over the delays, excuses, and now the complete lack of any update on the matter.

From a customer service point of view, this shows a complete and utter lack of consideration of the customer by the entity responsible (Be it a business or contractor of some sort). Regardless of what has been said on Greg's part, his actions over this have spoken much, much louder. I'm not sure how many of you here are currently involved in the CS industry or how long you have been, but from my own experience with events AND work, this be what we call a 'really shitty PR situation that could have been avoided altogether.' This would usually be followed by a whole crap load of "Coulda shoulda woulda," but I feel comfortable enough that that portion of the situation has been well described by those frustrated.

To the folks who have had to put up with this, this comic really felt like they were being disrespected in a big way. Thus those stating their feelings of offense over the matter.
"The effort you put forth to anything transcends yourself, for there is no futility even in death." - Monty Oum

"By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest." - Confucius

"Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned." - Buddha

ampersand
Crazy Person

Post by ampersand » Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:21 am

All I have to say is what a pity that Kickstarter wasn't around when Greg tried to develop these concepts. I think that would have helped immensely. And I think Greg is popular enough that he could still start a Kickstarter project and see it fully funded within a reasonable time-frame.

The Cid
Crazy Person

Post by The Cid » Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:57 pm

NickGXZ wrote:To the folks who have had to put up with this, this comic really felt like they were being disrespected in a big way. Thus those stating their feelings of offense over the matter.
Likewise, some of us still enjoy RLC and still wish to support the person behind it. I figured, if this thread is going to be a dumping ground for people's negative opinions, I might as well balance it out with my own supportive stance on the matter.
Hirschof wrote:I'm waiting for day you people start thinking with portals.

Rorschach
Crazy Person

Post by Rorschach » Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:21 am

It reminds me of my gigging days when we had a reasonable fanbase of four or five people. I got a message from one of them the day of a gig saying 'I can't come tonight because my granddad died yesterday. I'd apologise, but I don't think I should have to'.
Greg's statement reminded me of hers because, as I do Greg, I wanted to bone her.
To Let