7/28/09

Talk about today's strip, or anything about the comic in general. You can also talk about any of the characters... but don't expect a response. They're FICTIONAL, you guys... sheesh. :)
lastcallcomic
Crazy Person

7/28/09

Post by lastcallcomic » Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:29 am

This comic is exactly why I have been avoiding SD comic-con for the past few years. It's getting too big for its britches, and it just gets bigger. I've been hearing stories about how people had to camp out for hours, even days to witness certain panels. That's just crazy. ...And Twilight? Do they really think we care about Twilight? Give me Tron Legacy any day.

Anyway, good comic today. :)

macloud
Crazy Person

Re: 7/28/09

Post by macloud » Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:48 am

would it be wrong of me that the first thing i though of when i saw this strip was "wait - theres a prisioner movie coming out?"
Insanity is your friend. It keeps that pesky Real World at a distance.

MaxJenius
Crazy Person

Post by MaxJenius » Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:22 pm

There were similar problems at Dragon*con but the Fire Marshall helped put a stop to it. We can't have people camping out in the middle of a major thoroughfare. If it wasn't kept clear, the Fire Marshall threatened to shut the Con down. Now the campers have to line up in a side hallway, which leads to an external door... and if the line is long enough, the line has to continue... OUTSIDE.

As for a bunch of groupie girls in particular causing the problem... last time I saw them was to line up for James Marsters, back when he was "Spike" and he was travelling his band.

BryanP
Crazy Person

Post by BryanP » Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:42 pm

I can't say I disagree with the man. Scary thing is that I'm seeing Twilight groupies in their 40's and 50's. :shock:

Bigity
Crazy Person

Post by Bigity » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:22 pm

BryanP wrote:I can't say I disagree with the man. Scary thing is that I'm seeing Twilight groupies in their 40's and 50's. :shock:
Yea, and I don't get it. I detested the Buffy series type of vampire and I don't see the attraction of Twilight or even really Anne Rice vampires. I guess if I had to pick a kind I like it would be like from the novel Vampire$, by Steakley. They made a movie out of it but it was very very dissimilar.
No person was ever honored for what he received. Honor has been the reward for what he gave. -- Calvin Coolidge

Today's liberals wish to disarm us so they can run their evil and oppressive agenda on us. The fight against crime is just a convenient excuse to further their agenda. I don't know about you, but if you hear that Williams' guns have been taken, you'll know Williams is dead. -- Walter Williams, Professor of Economics, George Mason University

JonnWood
Crazy Person

Post by JonnWood » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:32 pm

BryanP wrote:I can't say I disagree with the man. Scary thing is that I'm seeing Twilight groupies in their 40's and 50's. :shock:
They're called "Twimoms", and they're the looniest fans of all.

darcerin
Crazy Person

Post by darcerin » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:53 pm

This IS the main reason I will not return to Comic-Con again for a long time. Last year was my first and probably my last. Pretty much every panel I wanted to go to had lines stretching from one hall to another, and some people had been waiting there for HOURS. I think I got into three panels all three days I was there. The rest of the time was spent in the dealer's room, which was yet another nightmare to navigate through with the amount of people (and backpacks) in there.

I won't say that I didn't have a good time - actually once the original crises of my trip started to die down (and there were many), I did get to meet several people I knew online and bought a ton of cutesy stuff I don't need (like Real Life - Greg Notes Edition, shameless plug!) . But I couldn't put myself through the kind of stress I went through last year just to attend.

I knew, this being the 40th anniversary, it would possibly be even more insane, and knowing that the Twilight fans overran H hall? I'm even more glad I didn't go. I'll deal with my Comic-Con over here in Baltimore and be happy with it.

Winterbay
Crazy Person

Post by Winterbay » Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:11 pm

Sorry for the double post. This message can be deleted due to incompetence by the poster...
Last edited by Winterbay on Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The problem with trying to make yourself more stupid than you are is that you often succeed...

Winterbay
Crazy Person

Post by Winterbay » Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:11 pm

This is what is so great about going to smaller more specific cons like the Discworld Convention in the UK. 700 people is just enough and even then you might need to queue for a while to get into popular events but not that much.

Also DWCon haev volonteers whose only main job it is to keep people queueing in correct lines and not block passageways :)
The problem with trying to make yourself more stupid than you are is that you often succeed...

Night_chrono
Crazy Person

Post by Night_chrono » Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:35 pm

My first thought after reading this was "Twilight at comic-con?"

I know that obviously its not just about comics anymore. It has branched out to cover many other "geek/nerd" areas. Stargate at comic-con? Awesome. Star Trek? Awesome. MST3K? Awesome. etc. etc. BUT WHY TWILIGHT?

Its horrible writing aside, it's only fans are crazed teenage girls/crazed old women! It just doesn't fit the convention.

If those psycho's want to have a convention let it be their own.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:51 pm

I'm sure it's an attempt to get more women and girls into the mix.
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

Markham
Crazy Person

Post by Markham » Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:34 pm

That isn't the worst of it - a lot of them were still in line after the Twilight panel was over!

Though, the only reason I know that was because I thought it was the line to get your convention badge. :oops: (In my defense, the last time I was there that line was the line to get the badge that lets you in the building)

Pseudowolf
Crazy Person

Post by Pseudowolf » Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:09 pm

They had this problem with the Twilight fans last year and I'm amazed that ComicCon did nothing about it. People were complaining for months that this would happen again (the Twilight fans camping Hall H and preventing people from getting in to see the following presentations). Couldn't ComicCon planners have moved the Twilight stuff to the end of the Con? Or on a separate day from the other Hall H premieres? I've never been to ComicCon, or even San Diego, but if they're going to continue to have this Twilight stuff there, and they KNOW what kind of problems it will cause, you'd think they'd do something about it.

T0@D
Crazy Person

Post by T0@D » Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:11 pm

Did anyone else notice the banner in the background? It is a bit blurry, but I think Greg drew a sexy cartoon Liz character. :shock:

document
Crazy Person

Post by document » Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:56 pm

My sister-in-law (who would normally have NOTHING to do with ComicCon) told me the other day that she was downloading a video from ComicCon. I was surprised when I found out that she knew what ComicCon was. She was downloading a video of some new trailer for Twilight. I figured out why she looking at ComicCon, but then I stopped and thought...why is "Twilight" at ComicCon?

I consider myself well-read, and I am continually reading. I generally ignore the trendy, poorly written mass-media books that are aimed towards teenagers. I have been unable to ignore Twilight for one simple reason:

I am a Mormon.

What does this matter? I would estimate that at least 75% of Mormon women between ages 25 and 40 read Twilight and talk non-stop about it. I really believe that the amount of Mormon women that read Twilight would signifigantly diminish if the author herself were not Mormon. Many Mormon women (and men as well) believe that because it was written by a Mormon makes it "inspirational reading", "well-written", and "high brow entertainment". Sometimes, being young, married, and Mormon makes "Twilight" impossible to avoid. Everywhere you go there are at least two Mormon women talking about it excitedly. I even know a couple who _divorced_ over Twilight, the man just couldn't stand up to Edward, and she raised her standards and left him (these are HER words, not his).

I finally decided to sit down and read Twilight after my sister-in-law (three kids, married, and in her thirties) would not leave me alone...she said "You can't judge because you haven't read the book". Fair enough, I thought. She told me it was not just a book about vampires, but about love and sacrifice, hurting yourself for the one you love. Therefore, I decided to read "Dracula" by Stoker and "The Scarlett Letter" by Hawthorne to put the "love story" and the "vampire story" into perspective. Prior to reading those books I had just finished my second-favorite book of all time, "Les Miserables" by Victor Hugo. After 250 pages into Twilight, I literally threw it across the room in frustration with the story, the characters, the writing style, and well, glittering, shining skin. (Seriously, what does Meyer's husband think when he reads the books...this is quite obviously the inner desires of Meyer)

When I finally went back to her and told her that I attempted to read it and gave her a critical analysis of the gaping problems throughout the book, she told me (and I QUOTE the entire conversation)...

Her: "You can't judge a series by the first book in the series. Look at the first of the 'Lord of the Rings'."

Me: "Oh, my gosh...you did not just compare Tolkein to Stephanie Meyer!"

Her: "Who is Tolkein?"

Me: "The Author of the 'Lord of the Rings' trilogy."

Her: "It's a book?"

Just....wow. I found out from my wife later that night that she has never read a novel in its entirety until Twilight. She had started the first Harry Potter _and couldn't get through it_! Many other conversations I have had with other LDS people regarding Twilight goes much the same way. When I point out the fact that it is literary trash, people who do not read (their understanding of classic literature stops at anything that was required for High School English class) defend Meyer's "amazing" talent of descriptive text and character development.

I finally just stopped talking to people about it, I can't convert the world of LDS Twilight Fans and take the blinders off of their eyes. I'm just happy that my wife (who read the first book along with me) had much the same reaction as I did to the book. My wife finally became sick of her sister badgering her to read the rest of the "series". As a form of revenge she bought her sister a poster of Edward and with the help of her mother taped it above her bed. When her husband came home (who has a lot of jealousy issues over Edward) he wasn't happy to find a poser above her side of the bed. Man alive I love my wife.

Wow, I was all over the place there. I guess Twilight is a hot-button issue for me.