Comic threads: Making titles & friends at the same time

Talk about today's strip, or anything about the comic in general. You can also talk about any of the characters... but don't expect a response. They're FICTIONAL, you guys... sheesh. :)
Martin Blank
Knower of Things
Knower of Things
Omnicode: sxy cm163 kg76 eso.#_glasses sp= Ag1974.October anE hdd Zot RlM Kd1y PeC&C FHb IN14 PrPython(3)^(7)&C(2)^(5)&C++(2)^(7)&JavaScript(2)^(5)&Ruby(1)^(5)&PHP(2)^(5) GM-6DN LAEN(9)&ES(2)^(6)&EO(1)^(7) Crc(6).Security MvD BA! PlM

Comic threads: Making titles & friends at the same time

Post by Martin Blank » Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:00 am

When you're posting a thread about the current comic, one of the worst things that you can do is to spoil the punchline. Unfortunately, the last few months of using just the date have made for a bit of a bland forum, even if the threads have good content.

What is spoiling the punchline? Something like this:

Go read this older comic: http://reallifecomics.com/archive/991122.html

Now, spoiling the punchline would be using a title such as "They weren't your acquaintences!"

Doing this is lame, so don't do it. Instead, it would be more appropriate to use something along the lines of "UO Friends" which does not spoil the punchline.

Even better is to do something like "22 Nov 1999: UO Friends" which not only does not spoil the punchline, but also provides a reference date.

Mods will be enforcing this, but as they're not present 24/7, it's not always possible to catch these in time before regular forumites see them. Eventually, it will be possible for me to smack down those who spoil the punchline on a routine basis by preventing them from posting in C&C, but until then, just be considerate of your fellow fans of the comic.

One last note: NO BACKSEAT MODERATING. If you see a poorly-worded thread title, do not flame the poster in here. Find a mod or an admin to deal with it, or send a POLITE private message or e-mail to the thread creator asking for the title to be changed. Backseat moderators may face disciplinary actions.
Last edited by Martin Blank on Thu Nov 09, 2006 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If I show up at your door, chances are you did something to bring me there.

dmpotter
Crazy Person

Post by dmpotter » Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:26 am

Honest question: is any mentioning of bad titles considered backseat modding, or just generally hostile posts? For example, would something like the following be considered backseat modding, or I suppose more accurately, actionable backseat modding?
Could you please not include spoilers in the thread titles? Some people may check the forums before reading the comic and have the punchline spoiled for them. Thanks!

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Thu Nov 09, 2006 4:53 am

Martin Blank, that kind of thing would be a lot easier if Greg titled his comics, but he doesn't. Is blandness in subject lines really a problem that needs solving?
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

Martin Blank
Knower of Things
Knower of Things
Omnicode: sxy cm163 kg76 eso.#_glasses sp= Ag1974.October anE hdd Zot RlM Kd1y PeC&C FHb IN14 PrPython(3)^(7)&C(2)^(5)&C++(2)^(7)&JavaScript(2)^(5)&Ruby(1)^(5)&PHP(2)^(5) GM-6DN LAEN(9)&ES(2)^(6)&EO(1)^(7) Crc(6).Security MvD BA! PlM

Post by Martin Blank » Thu Nov 09, 2006 5:47 pm

dmpotter: Yes. Find a mod, or, as Jez suggested to me last night, send a POLITE private message or e-mail to the person asking for a title change. In fact, I've just changed the post to reflect that.

Deacon: Yes.
If I show up at your door, chances are you did something to bring me there.

heavybass
Crazy Person

Post by heavybass » Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:43 pm

We can do it ourselves anyway... at least I do but when authority is used then i'm pissed off.

Greg Dean
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Greg Dean » Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:57 pm

Tough. People are tired of the punchline being given away in the thread title, and I agree that the titles are boring when it's just the date.

They only get changed when they're A) Dull, or B) Give away the punchline. Everything else is fine.

Pyrotech
Crazy Person

Re: Comic threads: Making titles & friends at the same time

Post by Pyrotech » Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:15 pm

I'm always amazed at the fact that someone can do so much damage to a freakin' comic just by sayin the last line. :?

Lizzegirle
Forum Queen

Post by Lizzegirle » Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:32 am

Just drawing attention to this thread again since we're having a flood of new members.

amlthrawn
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Post by amlthrawn » Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:14 pm

Just drawing attention to myself again since we're having a flood of new members. :shifty:

Teh Aml: Attention whore for the stars.
- We were never being boring. We had too much time to find for ourselves.