Cosplay: Why?

Talk about today's strip, or anything about the comic in general. You can also talk about any of the characters... but don't expect a response. They're FICTIONAL, you guys... sheesh. :)
Mr.Shroom
Crazy Person

Cosplay: Why?

Post by Mr.Shroom » Thu Apr 24, 2003 12:35 pm

Honestly. Why do you enjoy, do, practice, endorse, "ect + Cosplay"?

To me, cosplay is either for people who love halloween, are superfans, or are really kinky. I like most people who fall into those classifications, though not in that order. But I've seen places where its taken to an extreme.

One thing I DON'T like about cosplay is that sometimes character cosplay gets really, really sad or just lame. I mean in cases where the person doesn't even LOOK or TRY to look like the character. If its an anime character, and you want to go for the cosplay, go all the way. Dye your hair and the whole bit. I'm sick of seeing little jerkwater cosplay costumes or 400 pound men with 'moogle' wings and that little bobble thing with a clown nose on their faces. I think thats an attempt at a 'moogle', anyway. Correct me if I'm wrong. Damn if I know.

But, beyond my point of view, why cosplay?

RadishMan
Crazy Person

Post by RadishMan » Thu Apr 24, 2003 12:49 pm

This is only my opinion, but I think cosplay looks stupid. You can't get the same effect from anime that you did in real life. Most cosplayers don't look cool at all. When we did a play some people had to wear tunics and they looked really GAY! I called one guy a gay link... does link look gay? I think not, but whatever.
I see the light in the sand
Time to find out who I am
Looking back to see where I stand
See my reflection change
Nothing ever stays the same

Mr.Shroom
Crazy Person

Post by Mr.Shroom » Thu Apr 24, 2003 1:32 pm

Ignoring your questionable application of the homosexual title, I too have seen some people who shouldn't have been in cosplay, but were.

Perhaps THAT’S part of the fun...enjoying those who pull it off, and mocking those who don't. Eh?

Arcanos
Crazy Person

Post by Arcanos » Thu Apr 24, 2003 4:05 pm

there are those that pull it off... and there are those that dont.

However I must say watching cosplay at sakura con.. it was damn funny to see a 200+ lb man dress up as Naga from slayers... with attach on breasts. and pull off the character better then almost any woman Ive seen attempt it... even did the cringing laugh.
the costume was good too...

but cosplaying is only half that. there is the fun of making your costume.. I talked with a few people at the con that bought theirs compleatly. I had fun making mine over a period of a few months by hand. And because of cosplay Ive taken Sewing up as a hobby. That and I am learning to make props. I actually made jewelry for some of our group that looked really damn cool. From an Orphen Pendent for myself, to a Zelda Tiara for a friend of mine.

its almost a subculture of anime fans.. its hard to explain. you either enjoy it or you dont. but it dosent stop people from taking pictures.

Eronarn
Crazy Person

Post by Eronarn » Thu Apr 24, 2003 4:33 pm

If you want to see something funny, look at the Everquest or WH40k conventions. At Games Day 2002, I saw a guy wearing a greatcoat, with a gas mask on, carrying a huge standard. Keep in mind that this is in the middle of a crowded building, in the summer, in Baltimore. Ouch.

Here's an example.

I'm the Official Errant Story Postwhore.

Lizzegirle
Forum Queen

Post by Lizzegirle » Thu Apr 24, 2003 10:59 pm

Well I like sewing and I like anime... so I make costumes. If you notice about most of my cosplay stuff, I actually look like most of the characters. The only reason I still do it is because I am pretty good at it.

Some people just like to dress up in costumes. I am an actress. Thats the kind of thing I do. So I dress up and act like the character for awhile. Its fun. Also, its really cool to go to a convention and get your picture taken by a bunch of people who think your costume looks good. Its a little bit of a high I guess.

I'm not like most cosplayers out there. I put time and detail into my items and I go out with the intent of being the best "so-and-so". But I agree. Its not for everyone. Its kinda like DBZ. I have NO Fucking clue how so many people like that show. Its 45 mins of powering up for a fight and then 15 mins of fight. But there is a HUGE following for that.

Lets just put it this way... its a hobby. Not a way of life. :wink:

SothThe69th
Crazy Person

Post by SothThe69th » Thu Apr 24, 2003 11:01 pm

*Steals Black Knights quote*

Cosplay doesn’t need a purpose; the cosplaying is its own purpose. You don’t ask why a plague spreads or a field burns. Don’t ask why people cosplay.
SIG TREND OF THE MONTH IS BLANK SIGS BECAUSE I GOT LAZY AND DIDN'T MAKE THE THING AND STUFF.
"Soth, you truly exemplify the gallant, hopeless romantic.." Lunatic Jedi

Eronarn
Crazy Person

Post by Eronarn » Thu Apr 24, 2003 11:04 pm

Black Knight pwnz all. He's so badass.

FireAza
Crazy Person

Post by FireAza » Fri Apr 25, 2003 2:15 am

I know just what you mean Shroom. I mean. Getting the colored hair would be a START :D
"For AUS$300, you get FireAza drawing your screen image." -MartinBlank "Oh shit. For once, FireAza is right." -Deacon
"FireAza, if you're really that sneaky and quiet then you can sleep in my bed anytime, mister." -kizba

Mr.Shroom
Crazy Person

Aren't we all actresses or actors, really? The answer: No.

Post by Mr.Shroom » Fri Apr 25, 2003 5:00 am

[quote="LizzEGirlE";p="60153"]Lets just put it this way... its a hobby. Not a way of life. :wink:[/quote]

Bless you.

FreakForFinalFantasy
Crazy Person

Re: Cosplay: Why?

Post by FreakForFinalFantasy » Fri Apr 25, 2003 7:20 am

[quote="Mr.Shroom";p="59683"]

To me, cosplay is either for people who love halloween, are superfans, or are really kinky. I like most people who fall into those classifications, though not in that order. But I've seen places where its taken to an extreme.

[/quote]

so I'm kinky...is that so wrong?!?! :roll:

Mr.Shroom
Crazy Person

Post by Mr.Shroom » Sat Apr 26, 2003 4:05 am

Eh, its healthy for both the mind and the realtionship, imho. I sure as hell wouldn't judge someone for using cosplay stuff on THAT level.

daemon princess
Crazy Person

Post by daemon princess » Sat Apr 26, 2003 5:57 am

Because I think reality is boring.

Nuff said.

Eronarn
Crazy Person

Post by Eronarn » Sat Apr 26, 2003 3:28 pm

Too bad Shinji is such a whiny little bitch, otherwise I'd go as him to a convention. On June 18th, I'll be going to Games Day 2003, as a Chaos Sorcerer of Tzeentch... pictures will be posted :lol:

jiffyalf
Crazy Person

Shinji Cosplay

Post by jiffyalf » Sat Apr 26, 2003 8:19 pm

Hey, you don't jhave to be whiny to cosplay as Shinji. I should know, i've done it. And i went to school dressed as him. Coincidentally it was also the day for school pictures so anyone who didn't recognise me as Shinji thought i was just dresed up for picture day. Anyways, i acted more like Shinji in then "alternate world" portrayed in Ep 26. I just wish i had a teacher like Misato...*drools*