Cominc 7-31-20 and rage point

Talk about today's strip, or anything about the comic in general. You can also talk about any of the characters... but don't expect a response. They're FICTIONAL, you guys... sheesh. :)
DDQFPlusKick
Crazy Person

Cominc 7-31-20 and rage point

Post by DDQFPlusKick » Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:35 pm

Just read the comic and I got angry well the system pulls stuff like that. It sickens me when somone would use that form of subtafuge on people that need help. Having spent the last four years in adult mental health and the last 15 years in human services I can't help but feel sad and angry that no one should have to go through that. Saddly it is not the first time nor will it be the last. :(

TammyJess
Crazy Person

Re: Cominc 7-31-20 and rage point

Post by TammyJess » Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:04 pm

:-x I'm glad I'm not the only one.
I read today's and was so angry, then rationalised that it was editorial licence and resisted posting my upset.

(Please tell me it's editorial licence? Please?)

DDGFPlusKick, thank you for your work, care and conscientiousness. If you felt the need to speak out on this, I can only assume you are as passionate irl.
... tentative steps towards a real life ...
searching for the seeds to a tree that should have been planted a lifetime ago

TomXP411
Crazy Person

Post by TomXP411 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:51 pm

I'm a little unclear on what happened there. Maybe someone can fill me in? I mean, I get they referred her to psychiatric care after a panic attack. It didn't seem like she was being 5150'd (or was she?) Was there something more to it than that?

BtEO
Crazy Person

Post by BtEO » Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:13 pm

From how I understand it editorial licence is going to, if anything, make it seem better than it was. So that the comic doesn't do a complete 180° turn tonally.

TeddyMarinaro
Crazy Person

Post by TeddyMarinaro » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:58 pm

I hate to say it all, but this happens rather frequently in even California. There's tons of stories out there from frustrated nurses in psych wards at hospitals where, if someone comes into the ER with a mental/psychological issue, they get 5150'ed (code for it in CA) and are restricted to the psych ward and then forgotten.

The legitimizing reason for this is that many times those patients are given possibly addictive drugs while they might also be at risk of harming themselves and others. What that reason has allowed unscrupulous administrators to do is have people locked up there at theirs and their insurance's cost, and thus are able to make more money. Many times those patients are assigned to doctors who aren't working the next couple days and therefore can't be signed out for that time period. If it happens to you, fight it, you can at least not be charged for the privilege of being locked up against your will, and reach out to others to see if you can possibly file a lawsuit for damages.

TammyJess
Crazy Person

Post by TammyJess » Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:19 pm

TomXP411 wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:51 pm
I'm a little unclear on what happened there. Maybe someone can fill me in? I mean, I get they referred her to psychiatric care after a panic attack. It didn't seem like she was being 5150'd (or was she?) Was there something more to it than that?
My knee-jerk reaction on first read was that it was a 5150. I've learnt over the years to not jump in, guns blazing, on my initial (mis-)comprehension. This morning, after a restless night and internally resolving to commit to coming out to my partner today, I'm reading it differently.

Much happier to be thinking that she is venting about the sudden revelations at home, that she was denied critical information upon entering the relationship, than a quasi-involuntary 5150. What Mae has been processing for hours/days/months/a lifetime can't help be a — words fail me — 'catastrophic shock' (?) when unleashed in the space of minutes.

auntmousie
Crazy Person

Post by auntmousie » Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:10 am

TammyJess wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:19 pm
Much happier to be thinking that she is venting about the sudden revelations at home, that she was denied critical information upon entering the relationship, than a quasi-involuntary 5150. What Mae has been processing for hours/days/months/a lifetime can't help be a — words fail me — 'catastrophic shock' (?) when unleashed in the space of minutes.
I have to admit I didn't even consider that reading of her comment - but that is definitely a reaction that many spouses of trans folk do end up having. I didn't read it that way because of the earlier "pinky promise" installment, which gave me the impression that comic-Liz was at least not dwelling on any sense of betrayal.

Sadly though, it isn't hard to manipulate someone (especially someone who is, to use the comic example, a bit loopy on Ativan) into saying something that appears to warrant a 72-hour hold. I read the comic as going to that reality.
When all is said and done, more is generally said than is done.
Ask me anything - no, really - but be warned: I will answer. If you didn't want to know... don't ask.

TammyJess
Crazy Person

Post by TammyJess » Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:05 am

auntmousie wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:10 am
That is definitely a reaction that many spouses of trans folk do end up having.
Mine just did... and has just gone for a long drive with her live-in daughter. :(
Relationship status: uncertain.

TeddyMarinaro
Crazy Person

Post by TeddyMarinaro » Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:19 am

I'm sorry to hear that TammyJess. Gotta let them go and process it though, my wife had to go out and work through it as well and she came back and told me she's on board but needs me to take it at a pace that allows her to adjust as well. <3

werefrog
Crazy Person

Post by werefrog » Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:52 pm

Maybe The Werefrog am too optimistic, but The Werefrog read the lack of critical information as a response to Mae not to being in the psych ward.

However, looking closer, that appears to be a receptionist not a doctor based on the furniture, so it does seem like an involuntary inpatient stay: except that she agreed to go making it voluntary. She should be free to leave.
Semper Ubi, Sub Ubi

Martin Blank
Knower of Things
Knower of Things

Post by Martin Blank » Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:01 pm

"Free to leave" has so many nuances in a situation like that, though. :/
If I show up at your door, chances are you did something to bring me there.