Tales of the Archmages: Return of Wizardry SIGN UP (CLOSED)

Where the great lost quests lie...
JudgeMental
Crazy Person

Tales of the Archmages: Return of Wizardry SIGN UP (CLOSED)

Post by JudgeMental » Thu May 18, 2006 3:56 am

Please read this thread BEFORE signing up!

Any questions or inconsistancies found, ask in that thread, NOT this one.

Summary: This is a modern fantasy RP. Creatively driven, with a simple homebrewed stats system for the parts that necessitate randomness. I stress that it is creatively driven; stats play a role in randomness, but it's your specifivity and creativeness that will play a large role in how well you do overall. I will try to give appropriate feedback to aide in what I intend to be a very interactive world.

Read the history, but this story takes place approximately ten years from now. You will be one of the new Archmages, one of the first in seven millenia. An ancient barrier is crumbling, and if it fails, Hell will return to Earth.

You are the only ones standing between Earth, and oblivion.

Again, address specific questions about the game and story itself to the Interest Check thread. Character creation questions are appropriate for this thread.

I need exactly five players. Four are interested, and have spots reserved.

Negative Polarity
Raven
KaymeeraUnleashed
Kemchi
mikehendo

Each player will choose one of the Archmages, EXCEPT for the Archmage of the Fabric.

Archmage of Earth: Raven
Archmage of Energy: mikehendo
Archmage of Life: Kemchi
Archmage of Mind: KaymeeraUnleashed
Archmage Who Guards: Negative Polarity

Any conflict (two people wanting to be the same Archmage) will be determined by me, and will be judged based, again, on creativity. Don't fret over being a specific Archmage; there will be action enough for everybody.

Try to keep your characters free from any MAJOR neurosis; they are supposed to be the classical heros, after all. Of course, they are human, so please don't go the other direction and make them "perfect" either. Your character will not start out as an Archmage. That is the point of this story. It is the reestablishment of the Archmages to essentially save Earth. And as such, I have some very interesting ideas on how to go about it :P

Try to focus on "normal" characteristics; age, physical appearance/attributes, biography, and personality for starters. Don't worry too much about magical strengths and weaknesses; those will be somewhat determined by which Archmage you want. However, if you have specific requests, I'm willing to listen. Magical development will be taking course over the RP itself, so a description of magical abilities are not necessary. And besides, they'd probably be difficult to describe until you have a grasp of how my idea of magic works.

I'll leave it at that. I know my character guidelines are vague, but I don't think there's going to be any problems that can't be fixed. As always, if you have any questions, ASK!
Last edited by JudgeMental on Fri May 19, 2006 4:30 pm, edited 6 times in total.

"HTRN, you've failed. Give up now and praise the awesomeness that is JudgeMental." - Arc Orion

KaymeeraUnleashed
Crazy Person

Post by KaymeeraUnleashed » Thu May 18, 2006 5:10 am

Archmage of Mind!

Posted Thu May 18, 2006 7:12 am:

And cause I just can't help it;

Close shut the jaws of Oblivion

Negative Polarity
Crazy Person

Post by Negative Polarity » Thu May 18, 2006 5:53 am

Are we supposed to post our characters here or PM them to you?
My slow descent into madness seems to have abruptly become a flaming plunge.
[quote="Arc Orion";p="602569"]Negative Polarity, you're a sick, sick bastard.[/quote]

JudgeMental
Crazy Person

Post by JudgeMental » Thu May 18, 2006 6:00 am

I have no preference. I was assuming to post them here. However, if you want to keep your character under wraps and just PM it to me, that's fine as well. There are advantages either way.

"HTRN, you've failed. Give up now and praise the awesomeness that is JudgeMental." - Arc Orion

Negative Polarity
Crazy Person

Post by Negative Polarity » Thu May 18, 2006 6:09 am

Name: Alex Stansbury
Height: 6'5"
Weight: 210
Hair: Brown
Eyes: Green
Body Type: Athletic
Bio:
Alex was always an active, outgoing person. Even through-out his childhood, he was an avid sports player. Tee-ball, wrestling, and little-league football when he was an adolescent. Varsity football, track-and-field, and baseball when he was in highschool. Alex was the guy everybody hated but secretly wanted to be. Captain of the team, homecoming king, cheerleader girlfriend, that sort of thing. However, what made everybody really hate him for was the fact that he wasn't a stereotypical dumb jock. He did well in his classes (and no, not just art and PE) and graduated with honors. Everyone thought that he'd go onto some prestigious college with a full-ride sports scholarship, but he surprised them all when he decided to follow in the footsteps of his father and pursue a career in the armed forces.

As a soldier, Alex wasn't so lucky. He frequently had trouble dealing with authority and was often made an example of for his fellow soldiers. However, because of his physique and intelligence, he often came out of even the bad situations with some good. Willing and able to carry out even the most crazy of missions, he proved himself over and over as a dependable soldier. Eventually he'd reached the enlisted rank of Sergeant First Class and decided to try out for the elite corps. Unfortunately, the rigors of the tests were too much and he failed. Defeated and depressed for virtually the first time in his life, Alex developed severe self-worth issues and resigned his commission with the military. He now resides in a Dallas, Texas, working as career police officer. His work as a police officer has helped him to maintain his physique and skills.

Personality:
Alex has recovered very little from his failure in the Army, but has done his best to move on with his life. He frequently suffers from bouts of depression when it seems things aren't going well. Normally, however, he comes off as arrogant and holier-than-thou. He does have a drinking habit, but he'd never consider himself an alcoholic. He often has trouble finding and keeping a girlfriend because of his personality, but the few friends he has will generally refer to him as a decent, dependable guy.

Archmage Choice: I thought about leaving it up to chance, but it seems my character would probably best be suited as the Archmage Who Guards.
My slow descent into madness seems to have abruptly become a flaming plunge.
[quote="Arc Orion";p="602569"]Negative Polarity, you're a sick, sick bastard.[/quote]

KaymeeraUnleashed
Crazy Person

Post by KaymeeraUnleashed » Thu May 18, 2006 12:08 pm

Name: Isaac Biegel
Height: 5'9"
Hair: Jet Black
Eyes: Brown
Body Type: Average
Bio:
Deemed among the greatest professional experts on human behaviour at the age of 25, Isaac had dedicated his life to the study of the human psyche. Having a more or less uneventful childhood, he, however, perfected a technique of observating and deducing early in his life. With developing intelligence and an arsenal of knowledge on human behaviour, cause and effect as well motivation analysis, Isaac became the immune "black hole" of social interaction. You couldn't lie to him, complement him, or argue with him. He could always see right through it and reveal with it your intentions, your deepest darkest thoughts and secrets and drag them out writhing into the spotlight - if he wanted to.
Bachelor's degrees in Philosophy and Psychology, Master's in the latter, and a Doctorate in Social Behaviour as well as a honorary Doctorate for research in the fields of Psychiatry as well as studies on the Human brain, not to mention innumerous other research papers, Isaac was by all means a dedicated scholar.
Personality:
Described as generally eccentric, a loner, and a man of few words, he would also commonly be noted as one with sharp wit, profound intelligence and a logical calculating mind.

[EDIT]Changed age slightly...
Last edited by KaymeeraUnleashed on Thu May 18, 2006 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mikehendo
Karate Chop!

Post by mikehendo » Thu May 18, 2006 1:37 pm

Looks good, can i join? I will try to get a character up soon..
Help Fund Free Mammograms
09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

JudgeMental
Crazy Person

Post by JudgeMental » Thu May 18, 2006 6:10 pm

Yep, you can have that last spot Mike.

Negative Polarity, I'll give you the Guardian spot, unless you do change your mind.

KaymeeraUnleashed, I like that character. His talents fit well with my idea of latent magic in society. Those abilities could be a little strong, but as long as he can explain them with just natural talent and training (like reading body language or something), they'll be OK. My only real beef is his age; those accomplishments seem kinda quick, regardless of talent. Balance his age/accomplishments ratio a bit, and that character is good. As far as I can tell, those are secondary. His core talents and personality are fine as they are.

Posted Thu May 18, 2006 11:13 am:

I will not officially close the signup until both raven and kemchi come in to claim their spots. I'll PM them this evening, and give them until the beginning of next week.

mikehendo
Karate Chop!

Post by mikehendo » Thu May 18, 2006 7:52 pm

woohoo!!
Was just goign to be here long enough to eat lunch.. but it is character creation time..

Posted Thu May 18, 2006 14:14 pm:

Name: Buck "Sparky" Henry
Height: 5'11"
Weight: 160
Hair: Light Brown
Eyes: Steel grey
Body Type: Slim, kind of scrawny
Bio:
Buck grew up engrossed in technical manuals. He was always known as kind of a nerd. In highschool he managed to be a straight A student even though he rarley, if ever paid attention in class. Coursework just seemed a little slow for Buck, and heck, if it was worth knowing, he could teach it to himself far more efficiently. When asked how he picked up physics, nonlinear algebra, and calculus, Buck didnt really know how to answer. All that he knew was that it somehow came to him. Perhaps it was the time he spent reading, or perhaps there was something else there.
What he did know is that sometimes things happened around him. One sunny day the highschool bully was attempting to steal his lunch money. For some reason, the fire alarm near Buck went off as he was screaming inside his head for someone to take notice. They took notice alright, but that didnt stop the bully from getting a few punches in before the teachers broke up the fight.

archmage of energy.. more to come..
Help Fund Free Mammograms
09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

Raven
Crazy Person

Re: Tales of the Archmages: Return of Wizardry SIGN UP

Post by Raven » Thu May 18, 2006 10:49 pm

Thanks for reserving a spot. I'd like Earth, if possible.

Name: Michael Vince

Height: 6'1"

Hair: Dark brown, with a few strands of gray

Body Type: Muscular, lean. Not a bulging meat head, but he has the muscles of a man who does physical labor daily.

Bio: Michael (Mike) went through High School taking an interest in the physical aspects of life. He paid attention in his physics and calculus classes, and enjoyed physical science and geology. Mike had an average life during that time, he had a small group of close friends and played moderatly on the school football team. His college years a little different, as Michael majored in the intense school of architectural engineering. He spent most of his time working on construction projects and science experiments, and after four years of hard work graduated with a great knowledge of construction and solid understanding of the scientific world around him.

He started his own construction company, which grew over the course of five years to local fame as the most reliable construction business in the county. Mike always had the best plan to suit his buyer's needs, even after just one conversation with the client, and his imagination and knowledge of the earth somehow combined to create some of the most visually stunning and architectually sound buildings most people had ever seen. Now, after almost a decade of successful business, Mike has taken a small step back from his business, trying to fit some time in for a vacation and women.

Personality: Michael is a hard working man, who has great respect for a person who will get into the dirt and get the job done with their own hands. He likes to have fun, but often times he takes situations very seriously, and makes other people's problems his own. He has a strong moral code much akin to medieval chivalry, imagining himself a great noble knight. He's concentrated so hard on his schooling and business that Michael has completely ignored ever having a woman in his life, and now after turning 34, he wishes to take time off from his work to find a woman's comfort.
"Men occasionally stumble on the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened."

JudgeMental
Crazy Person

Post by JudgeMental » Fri May 19, 2006 7:16 am

mikehendo, your character is good. I'll put you in for Archmage of Energy.

Raven, your character is good as well. You'll be down for Archmage of Earth.

Archmage of Life is the last one open. Kemchi, if you wish, you COULD contest the other players. However, this character won't be sitting in the background casting "heal" on everybody else, so don't worry about him being boring.

Kemchi
Crazy Person

Post by Kemchi » Fri May 19, 2006 2:03 pm

I'm all over the Life Archmage, it's actually the field i was hopeing to be able to play. The thought of knowing the anatomy of so many things to such an intimate detail. Know the body and you know it's strengths and weaknesses, as well as what it's capable of.

COUNT ME COMPLETELY IN!!

I'll be working on my character sheet while at work, will hopefully be able to post it before i go home today.
Just in case you wanna....
Amazon Wishlist
ThinkGeek
Wedding-
Linens N Things
Bed,Bath and Beyond

JudgeMental
Crazy Person

Post by JudgeMental » Fri May 19, 2006 2:31 pm

Sweet, seems everybody's exactly where they want to be. I look forward to seeing your character.

Kemchi
Crazy Person

Post by Kemchi » Fri May 19, 2006 2:39 pm

got it done faster than i thought. Let me know if i need to change anything.

Name: David “Duece” Wyatt M.D
Height: 5’6”
Weight: 150
Hair: Mixture of Blond and Grey
Body Type: Slim, somewhat on the short side, but not scrawny
Bio:
David, or Duece to those close to him, grew up in a good neighborhood, not quite the ritzy class, but well off enough to be able to attend the private schools of the city. He was always wandering off into the woods to study everything around him. The world always seemed to have a sense of power within everything he saw. Each tree and animal would have a uniqueness that would capture his attention. He loved learning, but hated most of his classes during middle school and high school. Failing PE almost every year and never really that good at English, he had to struggle to make it through on somethings, but he always exceeded expectations when it came to the sciences.

He was even engaged at one point, but his love for learning and his constant studying finally become to much to handle, and they broke off the engagement, (frankly, he came home one day to find a note telling him goodbye.)

David had always dreamt of being a vet or a doctor. When he first got to college he was torn between saving the lives of humans or animals, so he took up studying both. With his intense knowledge of the human anatomy as well as that of most common animals, and a few exotic ones, David took on a job at the local Hospital as well as overseeing some classes at his old University. He spent about 20 years working at the hospital until he was offered the lead Professor title at the University and decided to take that on full time.

Archmage: Life

Dedicated to the study of the anatomy, energy, and life of all living things.
Just in case you wanna....
Amazon Wishlist
ThinkGeek
Wedding-
Linens N Things
Bed,Bath and Beyond

JudgeMental
Crazy Person

Post by JudgeMental » Fri May 19, 2006 4:39 pm

Thanks, KaymeeraUnleashed. I hate to nitpick, but for some reason that was offending my sensibilities :P

OK, now that everybody's in, we'll be starting sometime the beginning of next week. Sunday, if I can get everything finished quick enough. I might need to ask a question or two about your characters, so keep an eye here. I'm plotting your individual intro's. The questions will revolve around a typical day in the life of your character, so I can make it un-typical :wink:

Posted Fri May 19, 2006 9:43 am:

Kemchi, yes, your character looks good. I appreciate how well everybody's done on their characters. Of course, the telling is in the playing, but it's a promising start.