Wait.. There are Scots besides Glaswegians?

Talk about whatever you feel like.
Martin Blank
Knower of Things
Knower of Things

Wait.. There are Scots besides Glaswegians?

Post by Martin Blank » Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:03 am

So I was reading this thing recently that suggested that there's more than one Scots...accent? I know there's a Scottish burr, and from Gowerly's visit many, many years ago I know that any Englishman can pin down the birthplace of any other Englishman to within 20 meters based on his accent. But apparently Scots have some localization, too.

Rors, please explain. In painful detail, if at all possible.
If I show up at your door, chances are you did something to bring me there.

Rorschach
The Immoral Immortal

Re: Wait.. There are Scots besides Glaswegians?

Post by Rorschach » Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:08 pm

Well, in theory there are other parts of Scotland. But we don't really take them seriously.

Nor do we take their ridiculous accents seriously.

Their claims to being hard are laughable.

And here's one for Mae.

Here is the one true Scottish accent in all its melodious glory. They even set it to music.

To Let

nosystemd
Crazy Person

Post by nosystemd » Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:32 pm

Rorschach wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:08 pm
Well, in theory there are other parts of Scotland. But we don't really take them seriously.

Nor do we take their ridiculous accents seriously.
Careful, you're making Glasgow sound like the Sydney of Scotland.

Norphus
Crazy Person

Post by Norphus » Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:39 pm

Of course there’s only one Scottish accent. All Scots sound like Sean Connery. Just like all English people have Cockney accents and all Americans sound like Loyd Grossman. Duh.
Last edited by Norphus on Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Norphus
Crazy Person

Post by Norphus » Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:44 pm

Oh, and Irish people sound like Tom Cruise in ‘Far and Away’ and to quote Blackadder, ‘Never ask for directions in Wales Baldrick, you’ll be washing spit out of your hair for a fortnight’.

NorthernComfort
Crazy Person

Post by NorthernComfort » Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:51 pm

My experience is that it ranges from "Englishman doing a Scottish accent" to "Sounds pretty Scottish" to "What was that mate?" to "Holy crap you're actually speaking Scots".
"I guess I have a gift for expressing pedestrian tastes. In a way, it's kind of depressing." -Bill Watterson

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:28 am

I can tell you this, when weegies get going it can be legitimately baffling to understand even the gist of what they’re saying. It seems like that’s true in other parts of Scotland, too, but I’m not familiar enough to point to where. With a strong enough accent, it’s already challenging, but with the amount of very specific regional slang that can show up and is otherwise meaningless, it can be a challenge. I love it.
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

NorthernComfort
Crazy Person

Post by NorthernComfort » Fri Nov 13, 2020 3:38 pm

Also, this article is my favorite part of 2020. You can go to Wikipedia and change the language to Scots. Some 20,000 of these Scots pages have been written by an intrepid editor. He does not know Scots, but is dedicated to the craft of "translating" articles into what we can generously call a Scottish accent. Here's a sample of his work:

Blaise Pascal (19 Juin 1623 – 19 August 1662) wis a French mathematician, pheesicist, inventor, writer an Christian filosofer. He wis a child prodigy that wis eddicated bi his faither, a tax collector in Rouen. Pascal's earliest wark wis in the naitural an applee'd sciences whaur he made important contreibutions tae the study o fluids, an clarified the concepts o pressur an vacuum bi generalisin the wark o Evangelista Torricelli.

https://www.vice.com/en/article/wxqy8x/ ... ed-english
"I guess I have a gift for expressing pedestrian tastes. In a way, it's kind of depressing." -Bill Watterson

nosystemd
Crazy Person

Post by nosystemd » Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:03 pm

Speaking of Scots, I was just trying to think of a song and couldn't think who sang it. I like music from a lot of different decades, the 70s included, and I won't say who I spent an hour listening to a 40-year discography of thinking it was him-- someone whose work I should be more familiar with but not by name.

When I was growing up in the 80s I knew a lot of John Lennon's (neither of the guys I was just talking about, this is another example) solo work but I didn't know who "John Lennon" was. By 1986 I was listening to the Beatles constantly (mix tape of Rubber Soul, Sgt Peppers and other gems, track listing by me) but I still didn't know about Lennon or the Plastic Ono Band even though I knew the songs. I was just about to listen to a third or fourth artist who might have done the song, when I thought to search for "down" and "line". I knew the song had at least one of those words in it, and I could "hear" the music though not the words.

After an hour of searching without being able to look up either the lyrics or the artist's name, I found it: Gerry Rafferty: Right Down the Line. One of the best songs of the decade. Everybody knows Baker Street though. Knowing what a saxophone is and not knowing Baker Street is like knowing what a guitar is and not knowing Stairway to Heaven. When you hear the guitar on Right Down the Line, you can tell Rafferty loves George Harrison as much as Adrian Belew does.

Rorschach
The Immoral Immortal

Post by Rorschach » Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:45 pm

Joe Egan used to come into our shop in Renfrew.

Reservoir Dogs paid his mortgage apparently.
To Let

nosystemd
Crazy Person

Post by nosystemd » Sat Nov 14, 2020 7:15 am

Rorschach wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:45 pm
Joe Egan used to come into our shop in Renfrew.
I knew you meant the musician from Paisley, not the boxer and pub owner from Dublin, but search engines don't have it as easy as that.

mysecret
Crazy Person

Post by mysecret » Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:49 pm

The only thing about the Scottish accent that anyone needs to know is that the one used by people who live and grew up along the border with England will make you legs wobble. It makes no difference what the words actually are; they could be telling you that you've just been bitten by a haggis and will be dead within the hour... shaky knees time!

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:40 pm

Seems like more that a few Scots are cut from a similar tartan.

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZMJQsLwop/

PS His whole channel is hilarious.

On topic: https://vm.tiktok.com/ZMJQGhcvg/
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922